The resurrection of Death Row Records, Tupac and other OG's to be released

Rahim

VIP Member
Staff member
In the interview published by HipHopDX.com today (March 18) with new Death Row Records CEO Lara Lavi and Senior VP John Payne, it is very clear that fans will finally get to see their favorite Death Row Records artists put out new albums once again.

The catalog containing over 7,000 unreleased tracks that were once recorded by top artists like the late Tupac Shakur, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Nate Dogg, Danny Boy, Jewell, The Lady of Rage and many others that were part of the notorious record label, will all be released in the near future.

“We have enough product to fully enhance content from every year Death Row was in existence,” John Payne explained. “We can include footage of how these albums were made and versions of the videos that you may not have seen. There are also videos from The Chronic and every other album that didn’t get released.”

For the record, Tupac’s music will not be heard playing in the background of a Trix cereal commercial.

“That’s not gonna happen,” Payne assured. “We don’t need that. We can give you a much broader stroke of Death Row without tarnishing the image with remixes and a Snoop Dogg and Barry Manilow compilation. Fortunately, there’s enough.”

“For the purists who liked the original material for what it was, we can guarantee that there’s a lot more. We’re also going to seek involvement from the artists. There will be artist participation with products and events we have planned.”

Die-hard Tupac fans will be ecstatic to hear that Lara Lavi has insisted that they will not “fuck it [Tupac’s music] up” this time around.

“We get funny e-mails every now and then from people who say, ‘Don’t fuck it up, especially the Tupac, stuff.’ And we don’t have any intention of fucking it up. We aren’t going to let the tail wag the dog, nor are we going to lose money,” said Lavi, when asked if one could ever underestimate someone who pulls the trigger on an $18 million acquisition in the middle of a recession.

As for issues with clearing Tupac’s music with his estate, the new Death Row Records will be in working terms with Amaru Entertainment – starting with Lavi visiting Afeni Shakur in North Carolina this April.

HipHopDX.com has also confirmed that not only is Tupac’s Don’t Go to Sleep album in Daz Dillinger’s possession, but there are also unreleased Tupac and Kurupt records as well as collaborations with N.I.N.A. that have been left untouched in the vaults.

“I think people should expect more multimedia packaging,” says Lavi. “That’s what resonates with the fans and consumers, and it allows us to enhance things. We’ve also got to make sure all this material is remastered and brightened up.”

While a specific release date for these albums have not yet been made, the first batch of album releases will be targeted for a spring-2010 release and will be focused on “box sets and complication packing” as well as enhanced album releases with CD and DVD combo packing.

And for the many avid Tupac fans that would like to hear a diss track as blunt as “Hit Em Up,” John Payne speaks directly to them when he says “Oh yeah, I’ve heard that [‘Hit Em Up 2’].”

Good news.

And thank god they are not going to 'fuck it up' this time around. I'm tired of that shit. Now, let's just hope they keep their word and release this stuff.

Delic

Giovane D'Honore
Well this brings hope at least.

I've been around the online Tupac community for some time now and I can say that most of us have during the course of most of these years been against the remakes and in most cases always wanted to see the originals be put out there. Is it possible that all these years of waiting hopelessly with no realistic expectations is finally being answered to? Is the fall of Death Row under Suge Knight what it took for Death Row to truly shine?

If so, I wish it had happened a lot earlier, and I keep hoping that we will see Tupac in his original artwork.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
this is surprisingly good Tupac news. I'm actually excited for a future Tupac project. It's been years...since I felt that.

fuck yeah, that's what I'm talkin about.

this is the best news Ive had this year, and since Tha row folded too.

I will buy everything they release, as Ive got everything else they ever released too on original Cd's and records.

nice 1.

Its STILL Tha Row over here in Australia and always has been with me.

Kobe

I'm really trying not to get too excited about this. I mean its been over 10 dismal years of frustrating 2pac projects. I'll believe it when I see it.

Snowman

this sounds nice. lets hope Afeni dont pout like a child take her sons Cd's and go home.

it would be good to hear some unreleased Dre and Snoop.

Delic

Giovane D'Honore
Same we've been hearing? I've never heard Amaru or Death Row say that they're going to release songs in their original form...

Preach

Same.

And I gotta ask, to people who say this is too good to be true - what do you mean? That you think she is talking out of her ass and that it'll never amount to anything, or that the news report is erronous/someone's prank?

The interview took place and she said those things, so if that's what you're wondering, I can only confirm it by saying I wouldn't need to lie about that. The interview was done by a larger hiphop site, maybe dxhiphop? Anyway if you want to double check that, go to 2pacforum.com, the link is on the site.

As for this never amounting to something and Afeni blocking it, she also touched on that subject in the same interview. She said she was on good speaking terms with the estate, and that she was interested in repairing the relationship between Death Row and the estate, that had been.

Really, if you guys are worried, go read the interview in its length. It seems really promising.

Preach

To be more clear, it seems the interviewer and miss Lavi are both aware of how the estate has handled it when people tried to put out a Tupac song. She seems like a smart and ambitious person, and I doubt she would invest this much energy and thought into this if it was a 50-50 chance Afeni was gonna come and take it away.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.