the OFFICIAL ' Post good Rap Album Reviews" thread. find em, post em.

i just realised i "LOVE" reading good reviews of hip hop albums, ANY hip hop albums, even ones i dont like. i just like hearing peoples opinions on music. (probally why im here now)

anyways post a good review your read from somewhere, post the artists name, album, + the review. Even artists that people might not of heard of before, even lets say,,, kanye west.

any, in detail review are good. from anywhere.

Casual - he think he raw

The BEATS are all dope many of the Ol’ Hiero heads may be turned off by the electronic-influenced beats and the lack of Domino on the LP. Casual, as a producer, shows variety with the beats he produced himself. While “Love That” and “Blind Date” have light snares and kicks but full melodies, he maintains a very hard and funky edge with “New Wave Freak” and the co-production (with Domino) on the very hard hitting “Studio D”. The real automatic hard hitting beats come from SD-50’s, Toure, Domino, Ghetto Prose and The Alchemist. A.G. brings a more West coast G-funk sound with synths and various keyboard effects. As a whole, the beats range between the beats on “Trilogy” by Souls Of Mischief to the beats on “3rd Eye Vision” and also something that Hiero never did before. The electronic beats are not Timbaland rip-offs but they do fit a certain style. As a whole, Hieroglyphics have evolved and become more mature both lyrically and beat-wise. The PRODUCTION varies from decent to very, very dope. “Talk Boss” is an excellent example of superb production. Toure (who also produced “ We Don’t Get Down Like That”) shows a hunger with beats that not only sound thick but hard hitting as well. The Alchemist produced “I Gotta Get Down” along with the Domino/Casual produced “Studio D” hit very hard. The funky and looser beats like the Casual produced “New Wave Freak” and the slinky and spooky sounding Evidence produced “The Shakedown” give the Lp a nice variety. The lighter electronic beats like “Love Dat” and “Mine In A Bad Way” produced by Casual is saved by his dope lyrics, performance and his thick melody which he lays over the beats. The thick melody saving a lighter beat is evident on “Mine In A Bad Way”. The orchestra-melody soars through the song making it impossible to get out of your head. On "Both Sides Of The Brain" by Del The Funky Homosapian, Casual produced a banging song called "Jaw Gymnastics" which was very electronic in a way but not as electronic sounding as the other tracks on that album. The thick melody is evident on the self-produced tracks on this LP. “SnagglePuss”, “It’ll All Come Around” and “Windows” produced by A.G. have that more G-funk feel to it. There is not one song on the LP where the production and hook are both bad. If the hook is not the best, the production is on point or vice versa. More so than not, the blend between the hook and the production work very well.
Casual was never a deep or social-conscience lyricist. He leaves the emotional ascension to Pep-Love and the spaced out themes to Del. Casual reminds me of a friend of mine. He likes cars, weed, money, women and partying. Who doesn’t? Some do not look for Hieroglyphics for party joints but there was always something different about Hieroglyphics that separated them from the mainstream hip-hop nation. Casual is the most “normal” MC out of the camp. He’s like the guy who lives next door. Like A Tribe Called Quest, those who didn’t feel the spiritual abstract poetics of Q-tip felt the very normal and regular man style of Phife Dawg. While many songs like “Window”. “Turf Dirt”, and “Blind Date” deal with the humor and craziness of women and relationships, the LP does possess a lyrical variety. “Studio D” has the straight hardcore rhyme spitting while “Snagglepuss” has the comedic alter-ego theme. “It’ll All Come Around” and “Mine In A Bad Way” deal with problems with the struggle, money and success. Then, there’s the macked out songs with the braggadocio rhymes in “Talk Boss” and “He Think He Raw”. Casual is just a man from East Oakland who can rhyme his ass of. He’s the same man and this is evident in “Same O.G.”. There’s a humor to Casual’s lyrics that is reminiscent of Pharcyde and Del. The sexual escapades actually remind me of Cam’ron.. Still, even though Casual is not extremely deep in serious lyricism like Talib Kweli or Common, he maintains the listener’s attention with very witty punch lines and situations. His attitude alone can give another dimension to his lyrics. His energy then multiplies the dopeness. Overall, Casual is a great emcee with some great lines. He also perfected his delivery, which remains extremely energetic and hungry.
The originality of “He Think He Raw” is not very high due to the common themes of partying, balling, smoking, and women but he deals with in such a way that it sounds fresh and fun to listen to. “Snagglepuss” is a creative theme, which is his macked out alter ego. The only downfall that many Hiero fans may dislike is the subject matter of cars, weed, women and cash. What saves the album from drowning in uncreative ways, is Casual’s approach to the themes and the sheer attitude he delivers his opinion via his lyrics. At first, some may think that the electronic beats are no original but in fact, they are. There is a thickness to them in some way. If the thickness is not in the actual kicks and snares, the thickness lies in the lush melodies. Even the heavy electronic "SnagglePuss" has these strong keyboard sound effects. Beat-wise, this is very original and innovative for the Hieroglyphics camp like "Both Sides Of The Brain" was for Del.
The ALBUM FLOW rating on “He Think He Raw” is actually quite high due to the variety in both production and themes. Even though Casual’s delivery on his verses is all hungry and energetic, he sings the hooks or has melodic feels to the hooks, which compliment the rugged style in the verses. A wonderful balance is found and the album. The album is approx. 66 minutes long. And never is boring. Even though some songs are better than others due to themes and hooks, there is not one truly wack track or boring track on the LP. The songs are long enough to get into on a physical and mental level but short enough to keep your attention. There’s a tightness to the LP as a whole, which makes it flow very easily.
Casual is a HARDCORE rapper and he doesn’t have to sell drugs, shoot people or be a gang member to be considered hardcore. He truly says whatever he feels and gets many things off of his chest. He has no problem letting people know about his gambling problem, frustrations with the record industry and the wild episodes with women. He loves cars, weed, women and partying and even though those themes of getting club crunk have been done before, all of those themes take a backseat to the raw and rugged delivery in his verses. “Studio D” is straight spitting while “Windows” and “Blind Date” display freaky sexual tales. He’s not trying to act all hard or like a drug dealer. He’s just being himself and that’s truly hardcore. “Talk Boss”, “The Shakedown” and “He Think He Raw” are the most lyrical hardcore tracks on the album because they truly display a strong hunger that fuels his wild delivery in his verses. Even the weaker tracks like "Blind Date" have a hardcore edge because of his crazy attitude and his approach to the topics. He is blatently honest and it becomes very entertaining to listen to. He is proof that an MC does not have to sell drugs, shoot people and get thrown in jail to be hardcore.
The bottom line is that Hieroglyphics are coming hard and strong on this one. Casual is back and this LP is different from “Fear Itself” but every Hiero-release is different from the next. While “He Think He Raw” is more accessible than “Trilogy” by Souls and “Both Sides Of The Brain” by Del due to the up-beat electronic beats and the universal and common themes of sex, cars, weed and money. While he’s not as creative and innovative as Del in “Both Sides Of The Brain”, he adds normality to the Hieroglyphics camp. It’s not a boring normality at all; it’s an everyday-type album with everyday-type songs. It’s a fun hardcore hip-hop album in the spirit of the debut of “Bizarre Ride” by Pharcyde but also has the life-affirming and positive value as made evident in “It’ll All Come Around”. Some Hiero-fans may be turned off by the electronics and common themes while some may feel that it is something that Hiero was lacking. Casual is by far, the hungriest MC in Hieroglyphics. His energy and attitude can keep a song dope but the lyrics are there to make me want to listen to this album over and over again. Hopefully, Casual will get some exposure with this LP. I would also love to hear more Alchemist and Hiero collaborations like in “Gotta Get Down”. Casual has always been one of my favorite guests on other Hiero songs and it’s a beautiful thing for both Hiero and hip hop that he’s back. The album is dope, a majority of the beats are dope and Casual’s flow and delivery cannot be denied. This LP has some tracks like “Talk Boss”, “New Wave Freak”, “Gotta Get Down” and “Same O.G.” that jump out at you and others like “The Shake Down” that grow on you. Like “Trilogy” by Souls, it grows on you but this time, it grows on you much faster. I always liked his collabos in the past and now, I like his stuff even more. I will be looking forward to new Casual collabos in the future. Even though there are some shiney and glossy sounds on this album, Casual's raw hunger in his rhymes and delivery make it very entertaining. Along with his hungry delivery and his humor, the catchy hooks give this LP a very high replay value. Along with the very well done Pep Love album “Ascension”, Hieroglyphics are coming back strong and literally elevating hip-hop. Casual is just one step. “He Think He Raw”…and he is…

Lok

This has to be one of my favorite albums ever. The cover has some nigga on it that has no legs and no arms and he is sittin in a wheel chair, so I knew something was up with this album. These niggas are from Fort Worth Texas I am pretty sure. This album is hard as fuck to find, my boys have been looking for this album for some years now. It starts off with a normal intro then "Do Or Die" which is tight as fuck, they come with some fast flows on this cut-the beat is tight as fuck also--great song. Following this is "Pimp Playa Hustlas" which is another great song, its a solo by Dit-M, the chorus is cold as fuck and the lyrics are off the map-the beat will blow your trunk open also-very crunk song.

"I Cant Help Myself" is track 4 and it is as crunk as the first 2 cuts, very cold song, nice beat and the lyrics are off the hook--very crunk song, Dit-M and DIZAC both get off on this shit. "All Night Long" is next up and its straight but I really never listen to it, its a really laid back barbeque song. "Southside G's" is the next track and its cold as fuck, its a slower cut giving it up to his hood---very gangstafied song, I cant say anymore but its tight.

"Big Ole Pimps" features Big-E---this niggas is cold as fuck, I think its the nigga in the wheelchair on the front cover--but anyway Dit-M and DIZAC and him all drops amazing lyrics on this track and the beat is really nice also. Following this is "Something Going On" and guess what? its another crunk song!!!! You gotta hear this shit to understand. "Check It In" is track 10 and its alright at the best, I have never really bumped it that much. They have a slow cut next called "Death Row" and I aint feelin this cut at all-the worst track on the album by far.

The last track is "Show Me The Way" and its straight but nothing I ever bump. But overall this album is fuckin perfect, it only has 3 songs I dont listen to, but all the rest are songs that you will bump over and over-not just alright songs but all crunk as fuck. I bump this shit all the time and I got it back in 95. Great fucking album---pick it up if you can find it.

http://southwest-connection.com/reviews/texas/ppp.html

For The Record: The guy is prejudice against slow tracks ("Death Row" is a great song), so I always take everything with a grain of salt. He gave some great albums very low stars as a result.

Still, this is the best site to read reviews about albums that never got any recognition

http://southwest-connection.com/index2.html

5 out of 5 stars The greatest N.W.A album, September 7, 2004

Reviewer: Pete - See all my reviews
Better than all n.w.a albums, better than all dr dre albums, better than all ice cube albums, and better than all mc ren and eazy-e albums (shock of the hour, it's on, and eazy-duz-it come close but cant top this), this is one of raps greatest albums EVER. Don't get me wrong, i mean EVER. His lyrical skills are incredible, one of the all-time greatest emcee's. Unfortunately, after his appearances on N.W.A & The Posse, and this album, he was involved in a terrible car crash (around 1990 i think), which changed his voice and speech forever. Listen to his albums after this, and you will see what i mean. The only emcees that can compare to the D.O.C.'s talent on this album are probably KRS-One and Rakim. Anyway, all songs here obviously are classics, not one song that falls short of a classic. Dr Dre produced this, and was without doubt at his best here. Top 5 songs (which is hard to chose), would be the following (in no particular order):
D.O.C & The Doctor - Classic old skool beat, with great lyrics to listen to, and a good sample in the chorus. I could listen to this over and over and never get sick of it.
Its Funky Enough - The beat is off the hook here, and lyrics are at his best. Perfect track to get you into this classic.
The Formula - A softer track, with yet again The D.O.C. shows his talent in his flow and lyrics. A nice chorus too, with coo music.
The Grand Finale - features everyone from N.W.A, many people say this is the best song on the album, but for me it's the 2nd best. All of N.W.A couldnt come better here, all coming with tight verses, especially Eazy-E and The D.O.C (obviously). The beat here is one of the best on the whole album. Perfect closing to the album.
No One Can Do It Better - Definitely the best song in my eyes. When i first heard this many many years ago, i loved it straight away. And even now, im still addicted to it. Awesome samples in the chorus, but what i love most about this song is yet again The D.O.C.'s delivery, i could just listen to him non-stop for years. It's real pity that this was all he could put forward before his tragic accident.

Lok

I Might as well recommend another great album:

LOS - Nigga On The Edge

This is the second release that came out on Bulletproof Records around 95 after the Ghetto Insanity compilation. Los is from Saint Louis(STL),Missouri and has a west coast type of flow that can be compared to old Brotha Lynch Hung,Spice 1, and even 2pac.All the production was handled by D-Red .In my eyes this album was way ahead of its time.

1. Intro(Mr.P-Double O) - This is one tight ass intro done by Mr.P-Double-O,this nicca is tight as hell on the track and his voice is deep as hell making him sound even tighter. He basically tells a short story by using the titles of the songs on the album.The beat is clean and bass heavy. A tight way of starting off the album.

2. Strictly hardcore (ft.Mr.P-Double O) - The first song is muthafucka cause this is banging as all out doors.LOS starts talking about how he found this tight ass rapper from the southside of Saint LOuis called Mr.P-Double-O and wasn’t lying he raw ass fuck.Mr.P-Double-O comes with a raw verse that u gotta hear for yourself to understand how tight he is.Los verse is just as sick also.Damn this track stays on repeat dirty.

3. Super Dupa Freak -This track LOS talks about boning this her and shit.Its tight even doe the beat is average and doesn’t jump out at you but the lyrics that LOS spit are very tight due to how he tells the story.Ms.Peaches does the hook and does a good job.Good Track overall

4. Trying 2 Tell Yo Ass - This is my shit right here.The production on this track is tight and so are lyrics by LOS.But the stands off the most gotta be the hook, it goes "All IM Trying Tell Yo Ass Is Think fast on yo skills Niggaz out to kill But on the real u cant chill Nigga u cant sleep Even you be high.Die like a gangsta Why?They be g'z na." A classic track that I can play all day.

5. Nigga On the Edge - This track is another banging ass track my LOS.On this one he talks about how the streets is driving him over the edge and shit.The production has some drums in the background and has some tight sound effects in it also. The beat matches LOS voice perfectly and the chorus is handled by Ms.Peaches, she does a tight ass job singing it. Classic track I love this shit.

6.Slug Letter (ft. Mr.P-Double O) - This track starts off with 1 minute or so interlude about some nicca talking about being a JUSTA BUSTA and how he gets a slug letter sent to his house its kinda funny and his something to do with the song.Then the damn beat creeps in like drive by music or something, its crazy cause I can picture Brotha Lynch Hung flow to this shit its so sick.The chorus goes "Slug Letter not Love Letter so you thugz betta pray to the lord if you aint hard(2x)" Mr.P-Double-O comes to tight on damn mic and his voice sounds perfect for this beat I cant believe it when I hear it.LOS is tight as hell also and rips it up also. Push repeat on this hoe.

7. Lyrical Blues (Radio Edit) - This track was the lead single for this album and it got a lot of radio play herre in Saint Louis.The beat has a slow tempo and beats real hard.The chorus is handled by this nicca from the group named 2 blunts and a 40 he's called Mr.Lanski, he does some reggae type of shit on the hook which is tight ass hell.Classic track that I can listen to all day.

8. Click Clack BOOM - This track has a dark and sinister feel to it.The hook is very tight it goes "Click CLack Boom goes gauges in niggaz faces.Look who's back".Los rips the sheets off the beat..........Nuff Said...........

9. Really Going Down - This track has trumpets in the background and a couple bass drums to give you that storytelling type of feel.LOS provides the tight rhymes on this track and does a excellent job of telling a story of how sum niccas set him up.Its all about the lyrics on this one.

10. Spanky (Mr.P-Double O) - This track is kinda average is the terms of the production but Mr.P-Double-O spits some tight as rhymes while doing some good storytelling.The concept is the thing that sticks out to me,its about how some dudes would claim other cities instead of the city they where born in back in 96 its tight and has a messege to it.Good Track Overall.

11. Steady Mobbin Remix (ft.Ho Lard) - Is a cool track that is a remix of a classic track by LOS that was on the Ghetto Insanity compilation.The beat has a real mobbin type of feel to it.Los comes tight on the verses while Ho Lard comes ok.Cool track doe,

12. Ghetto Terrorist (ft.Mr.P-Double O) - Another favorite track of mines.The beat lyrics is all on point.Aint too much else I can say about this tight track.Play that shit.

13. WhateverDow-Cell Music...... - The reason this track has the cell music name on it at the end because it was a live phone converstaion and rap from LOS while he was locked up in a Prison called Gumbo.Its basically a posse track cause it features D-Red,B-Stone,Hump,Puppet,Little Shun,Ho-Lard,Mr.P-Double O.Erryone drops tight rhymes on this one,but Mr.P-Double O definitely flames the track and set it a fire with his verse.

It’s a shame when a album this tight goes unnoticed and forgotten.But that’s why I had to make sure I did this review just so that people know about this album cause this is the best album to come out of Saint Louis period and maybe even the whole Missouri.I think anyone who likes tight beats and rhymes would love this album.I don’t see any flaws in this album it bangs from beginning to end.Also the fact that this album sounds like it just came out and not all old shool sound shows how tight the production was on this album furthermore proving that it was definitely ahead of its time.This album, the Ghetto Insanity compilation and Deadly Duece album is needed for any collection especially if you trying to know who has putting it down back in the day for the STL. This is kinda rare and hard to find outside the Mo, but you do find yourself a copy you will be listening to it daily.I guarantee you that.......Nuff Said.......

http://southwest-connection.com/reviews/missouri/los.html

Most of the album is done by live instruments, Roots style, therefore the production never gets boring.
here's a few cool songs from the album that im feeling right now:
LOS - Spanky (ft. Mr. P Double-O)
LOS - Really Goin' Down

TRUN OFF THE DAMN MASSACRE & CHECK THIS CAT OUT!

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.