The most important album made by an artist / act from Texas?

Lok

They were the ones that put Texas on the map. No question about it. There were rap acts & groups from Texas at the time (and even before them), but no one came close to match thier popularity & impact.
Which of their albums is the most important is debatable, but it's definitely the Geto Boys.

I mean UGK- Ridin' Dirty, that shit is close to my heart. That is without a doubt the most played album in my collection. So i have a bias for that particular album, but if i wanted to be politically correct I would say an early Geto Boys album, because that was the beggining of the doors getting knocked down for the rest of Texas. UGK- Ridin Dirty is just plain unfuckwitable, so if i voted for my favorite album it would be UGK but the most important is Geto Boys.

albohemia said:
OutKast's André 3000 has remarked that remarked that Mind Playin' Tricks on Me put Southern rap on the map." Opinions?

Makes sense, everyone is entitled to thier own opinion but i would have to say that dre has a valid point. The beat itself is pure classicness, the lyrics have a shit ton of underlying meaning and that track really makes u think, whether ur shooting up herion in the corner or just smoking a little j.

Breaks all the stereotypes that rap music is all about i got this, i got that mentality. A person might think that this song does fall into this if they had only skimmed over the song, ecspecially the 2nd verse, but after completely obsorbing the song the truth is crystal clear, and then u play that shit again.

Tito said:
Scarface - The Diary
Scarface only acquired his "King of the South" moniker on the solo tip. Without the Gheto Boys popularizing Southern rap, he would have been unable to forge a solo career that anyone gave a fuck about. K-Rino was making iller joints in Houston five years before dude even picked up a mic and ten years before The Diary dropped without breaking new ground.

quit shittin on the south, you asked important album. when anyone from texas thinks important album, they mean changed the game, not the neighborhood...

scarface - the diary- didnt really care too much for this album, but i can def remember when it came out..
ugk- ridin dirty - do i really have to comment on this?? cmon!
dj screw - 6 in da mornin pt 2 - classic dj screw album
swishahouse - june 16 - houston scene started blowin up in the south more...
swishahouse - the day hell broke loose vol 1. - best swishahouse album to date.

def some important albums

kingdizzy said:
quit shittin on the south, you asked important album. when anyone from texas thinks important album, they mean changed the game, not the neighborhood...

scarface - the diary- didnt really care too much for this album, but i can def remember when it came out..
ugk- ridin dirty - do i really have to comment on this?? cmon!
dj screw - 6 in da mornin pt 2 - classic dj screw album
swishahouse - june 16 - houston scene started blowin up in the south more...
swishahouse - the day hell broke loose vol 1. - best swishahouse album to date.

def some important albums
You just alluded to five albums you consider important without once telling me why and accused me of hating on Texan rappers in a thread I initiated to highlight the importance of Texan rappers.

"Quit shittin" on reading.

i don't know about important, but "the diary" is my favorite. you probably gotta give it to "grip it! on that other level" or "we can't be stopped" by the geto boys, though. those albums are crazy, and in terms of perception from the east/west, southern rap did not exist until geto boys came out.

what about "no-one can do it better", anyone?

What's so important about No One Can Do it Better? It's a classic, but... you know?
hmm, true. what about the fact it was the first time a really technically good MC rapped over dre beats, further heightening dre's status, and therefore paving the way for above the law, snoop and the rest of death row, and therefore he really made tupac, and if tupac didn't exist, then ja rule wouldn't have anyone to model himself on, and if 50 cent didn't beef wit ja rule, then he wouldn't be half as rich now, so therefore if d.o.c. never made that album, "Outta Control" remix wouldn't exist????

i dunno, just throwing it up there.

what's up, roaches?

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.