The most important album made by an artist / act from Georgia?

Lok said:
Define important.
I have deliberately not defined 'important' to get a wider breadth of answers. It should be reasonably self explanatory that certain albums are important for different reasons thus any answer should take into acount the varying significane of such reasons.

roaches said:
My pick is Soul Food, though.
Any particular reason?

I will have to agree with Roaches by saying Goodie Mob-Soul Food. Reason being, creative, innovative, soulful, those cats had something to say. They weren't just getting on the mic and stumbling over cliches, they were speaking from the heart. Its also a kind of dirty sounding album with lots of meaning. I love the combination of the 2. These are the type of records that I live for.

2nd place Atliens. It's my fav outKast album. a lot of similarities between the 2 (soul food and atliens).

roaches

Any particular reason?
* The beginning of "the dirty south" - as a distinct sonic region and literally, since they popularized the term.
* A huge part of injecting Black culture (i.e., religion/the church) into hip-hop (think about all of the golden age LPs - if they were talking about god, a rapper meant himself, word to the NGE; afterwards...?).
* From there, we can go into how the lyrics emphasized content over cleverness (this is a big difference between Soul Food and Outkast's first LP - that and the Outkast album's more lighthearted tone and the obvious Hieroglyphics influence on the emcees and Bomb Squad influence on the production).

We can argue over who should get credit for the development of a unique southern sound - Dre for making it okay to not sound like New York, 8Ball and MJG's first LP, Outkast or Goodie Mob's LP (I'd exclude Kast for the reason I mentioned above), but that's another thread.

7 Syns

Soul Food is a good album and I love it to def, but to the core it uses almost the same formula that 'Kast had with Southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik.

peace.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.