The mixtape game, good or bad?

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Mixtapes are getting out of control. It's gotten to the point where artists have to PAY to get put onto mixtapes, which should be forms of promotion anyway. Mixtapes started to showcase new talent, not showcase new talent with deep pockets who can afford to be showcased.

I know everything is a hustle, but this is getting crazy. DJs are dipping into every side of the pot, firstly they get advertisement and sponsorship money, then they get artist money to feature on the tape, and then they recoup even more sale money.

Everyone says hip-hop is like the drug game, well imagine having fiends pay for the coke and then sell them back the crack, that shit is crazy!

I remember when speaking with Method Man once I asked why he was never on mixtapes and he gave a very similar reason.

These DJs are pimping the culture, which then hinders artistic and creative progress. No wonder new dudes are so slow coming into the game, none of them can afford to be put on these big mixtapes; and that's bad.

I feel you on that Rukas. It's all bad. As sad as it sounds, there were times where I had to pay local dj's to get put on their mixtapes.

And as a fan, it's sometimes very hard to keep up to date on your favorite artists when they're pushing new tracks on 1000 mixtapes every week. This is also a reason for lots of rushed and half ass attemps of hip hop songs to spread around the world. The process of creating a song suffers a whole lot when artists are just trying to stay on the game by feeding us more and more and more and more.
To me, it's 10000 times doper to anticipate on somebodys album to hear what they have to say on REAL ISSUES, rather than hear what they have to say everyday on some wack ass looped beat pulled from your rival's last mixtape where he accidentally referred to your neighbours dog in a negative tone.

Mixtapes with DJ remixes or mastermixes or shit are nice, but these official unofficial mixtapes are just giving me a headache.
Mixtapes were nice when they were underground, but now, i don't like it a bit. The whole game is a big fuckin' mixtape.

roaches

t's gotten to the point where artists have to PAY to get put onto mixtapes
This is nothing new. And it goes on at both ends. But things are getting a little ridiculous now. I blame:

1. Technology's progression, which has allowed any kid with SharewareAudioMixer! and a phonograph to infiltrate the scene.

2. The emphasis on exclusives as opposed to the displays of virtuosity which has lead to the industry to hijack the mixtape scene for promotional purposes.

ARon

Not only what others are bringing up but I keep getting pissed when all you get from artists are mixtapes, ie. Saigon.

Positives

-Still Fundamentally favours the artist and can work for them (Redcafe, Bishop Lamont et al)

-Established rappers not beholden to record company executives, radio play lists or Soundscan numbers are free to be at their most experimental

Negatives

-Has a tendency to proliferate beef

-The same deejays who have parlayed their underground status into lucrative careers are making it difficult for aspiring rappers to gain exposure without paying for it

-Can fuck up careers (Just ask Saigon)

7 Syns

Mixtapes are still one of the best sources to get exposure on the streets, get your voice heard in a cheap and widespread way. However some DJ's are getting out of hand.

I think smart rappers will eventually just decide to put out original mixtapes like Ras Kass "institutionalized" or even go in a Canibus/ Southern route and put out independent albums instead of wasting their energies on mixtapes.

If they they do either it's a win win situation, however unlike being on a tape supported by a famous Dj they will atleast get some bread for it. I believe in the next 2-5 years the mixtape will become a full flegded Net-Tape game. Pay a few $ to download a tape from that rappers site/myspace. Whatever it be.

To answer your question, it's good and bad at the same time.

peace.

The.Menace

Staff member
Mixtapes are getting out of control
I agree, I was think about this for quite a while now. There are just too many new mixtapes out there, everyday there are new mixtapes, you can't keep track, you can't listen to them all and anyway, the quality suffers in the rush.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I agree.

There are far too many mixtapes released now too. Game has a new 1 every month.

Hardly any of them are worth listening too, and the only mixtapes that get purchased are the exclusive 1's.

The only 1 I've picked up recently, well will do when it is released, is Young Boss Volume 2. That is a good mixtape, Crooked I is good as usual.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.