The Inc Is Officially Finished, Irv Is 'Offered' Presidency At Atlantic Records

An anonymous industry source has revealed to SOHH.com that The Inc. has officially severed ties with Island Def Jam.

Yesterday, The Inc. moved from its 9th Ave office, symbolizing the end of a business partnership between the label and Def Jam. The Inc. was first asked to leave the Def Jam's offices following 2003's raid because other tenants in the building felt unsafe. They first briefly moved to another NYC office before settling into 440 9th Avenue; while Def Jam continued paying their rent.

Reports of Irv "Gotti" Lorenzo and The Inc.'s departure from Island Def Jam (IDJ) first surfaced this past May. The two parties were negotiating a deal to dissolve their joint venture.

At the time, sources said that Gotti had scheduled meetings with Warner Music Group and EMI to secure his label's distribution. Now industry insiders have revealed that WMG has indeed offered Irv the president position at Atlantic Records.

The Inc.'s move stems from an investigation alleging that Irv, with support from Queens drug lord Kenneth "Supreme" McGriff, laundered over $1 million in drug money to launch the label formerly known as Murder Inc. Industry insiders have speculated that Def Jam wanted to sever ties with The Inc. because the imprint's troubles were tarnishing the company's reputation. Now, a close source has revealed to SOHH.com that IDJ gave The Inc. its walking papers as part of an agreement to avoid federal authorities from probing them as well. Def Jam was likely to be investigated because it contributed $500,000 to Murder Inc's Crime Partners soundtrack; a film co-produced and co-written by McGriff.

Under the agreement, the feds, despite pressure from journalists, refused to specifically named Universal Music Group and Island Def Jam when revealing the indictment on the Gottis in January. Instead, the indictment referred to the two labels as "the other companies."

Back in January 2003, the federal authorities raided the Manhattan offices of The Inc., then known as Murder Inc. The task force went into the offices and seized computers and documents as part of an investigation to see whether Irv had financial ties to McGriff.

In addition to money laundering, the probe also looked to get evidence on gang ties and a series of violent attacks in the rap industry. The violent attacks include the feud between 50 Cent and The Inc.'s flagship artist Ja Rule; the 2002 murder of Jam Master Jay, and the 2001 murder of aspiring rapper, E. Money Baggs. Only a few months after the raid, IDJ demanded that Murder Inc. leave its offices pending more development in the FBI investigation.

http://www.sohh.com/thewire/read.php?contentID=7359

dayum that shit must suck for irv... def jam is a great distributor for them to have... but i guess its all good. they're under the umbrella of atlantic records, which powers the joint chiefs (ti, fat joe, trick daddy, fabolous), so i think they'll handle the inc just fine!

Thanks for the news. Def Jam definitely tried to severe ties with murder ink. I say ever since it became known that Supreme was involved with helping murder ink they've wanted to get out of the contract. I'm a bit surprised considering Jay-Z is president of def jam. I don't know why he would allow them to leave considering he's president. I don't know why atlantic records would offer IRV presidency considering he may not be in active duty until after the trial. Which he could be sentenced to a couple of yrs.

sniper said:
In addition to money laundering, the probe also looked to get evidence on gang ties and a series of violent attacks in the rap industry. The violent attacks include the feud between 50 Cent and The Inc.'s flagship artist Ja Rule; the 2002 murder of Jam Master Jay, and the 2001 murder of aspiring rapper, E. Money Baggs. Only a few months after the raid, IDJ demanded that Murder Inc. leave its offices pending more development in the FBI investigation.

http://www.sohh.com/thewire/read.php?contentID=7359
Why would simmons keep them on the label if they had something to do with JMJ death?

It would be a good idea if they put in Irv's contract that he gets the job only if he agrees to not be in music videos trying and to not go onstage with artists since he has no business being there. Plus they should make him eat like 10 less cheeseburgers per week and hit the gym at least every other day.

ThaTruth said:
Why would simmons keep them on the label if they had something to do with JMJ death?
simmons aint in charge of def jam anymore :thumb:

i dont get why ppl r sayin too bad and shit for tho ......
i mean 'atlantic records' man......t.i, fabolous, juvenile, trick daddy, fat joe, twista, quan is a new signing under ill will ........ irv will be all those rappers boss. if anythin isnt it a come up, now he has more money, more power/control, more resources etc.

DeeezNuuuts83 said:
It would be a good idea if they put in Irv's contract that he gets the job only if he agrees to not be in music videos trying and to not go onstage with artists since he has no business being there. Plus they should make him eat like 10 less cheeseburgers per week and hit the gym at least every other day.
lmao

sniper said:
simmons aint in charge of def jam anymore :thumb:

i dont get why ppl r sayin too bad and shit for tho ......
i mean 'atlantic records' man......t.i, fabolous, juvenile, trick daddy, fat joe, twista, quan is a new signing under ill will ........ irv will be all those rappers boss. if anythin isnt it a come up, now he has more money, more power/control, more resources etc.
since when? isnt def jam his company?

nope he has the russell simons group or summat like that its also distributed through the island company.
the only role he plays for def jam now is an advisory one.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.