The Hip-Hop that Time Forgot

AmerikazMost

Ten years after his death, Tupac is still the greatest of all time. Biggie Smalls is still the illest MC from New York. Rakim is still the god. Illmatic is still, well, Illmatic.

But what about the others? What about the golden age? What about New York before the Wu-Tang Clan? Who talks about De La Soul Is Dead anymore? When's the last time you heard Das EFX being bumped in a passing car?

There's a lot of great hip-hop from back in the day, but a lot of it isn't talked about anymore. Here's you chance to revive some of it.

Share your Daily Operation's, your "Get the Bozack"'s, your Pharcyde's.

7 Syns

I listen to De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Das EFX, Fu-Schickens, Black Sheep, Organized Konfusion on a regular basis. I was listening to Wreck N Effectz just before actually. Kid N Play, fucken all that good shit.

Good thread.

peace.

ARon

Yeah this is probably the main era of music I listen too. This is like my generation of music this is the shit I love. Seriously, linx is right, where do you begin.

7 Syns

Nothing can fuck with 1988 - 1995.

I mean the gems that come out on a regular basis between then was just crazy, 1996/7 were alright too but I think when 'Pac joined Deathrow then later died and Biggie died it took hip-hop down a road for the worst. Hence why we are where we are at now-a-days.

I made a thread about 1994 not long ago. I might revive it.

peace.

_carmi

me, myself & us
a tribe called quest :thumb:

i guess we dont talk aobut them as much as they did not have some tragic end like 2pac and Biggie. illmatic well its illmatic you know.

AmerikazMost

7 Syns said:
Nothing can fuck with 1988 - 1995.

I mean the gems that come out on a regular basis between then was just crazy, 1996/7 were alright too but I think when 'Pac joined Deathrow then later died and Biggie died it took hip-hop down a road for the worst. Hence why we are where we are at now-a-days.

peace.
Late 80's/early 90's East Coast hip-hop is my personal favorite. The list of quality acts seems endless.

Rakim
Big Daddy Kane
KRS-One
Slick Rick
Kool G Rap
EPMD
A Tribe Called Quest
Public Enemy
Das EFX
Da La Soul
Biz Markie
Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth
the Ultramagnetic MC's

etc.
etc.
etc.

Preach

7 Syns said:
a few albums mentioned in that thread i need to get, so if you did you're saving me the trouble of having to go back ;p

Funny, I just found my YBT cd like 2 minutes b4 i jumped on here..

Lords of the Underground, Das Efx, Kool G, Fu-Shnickens, Ice-T's Power, and a couple others I still listen to once in awhile.. Not much lately though..

AmerikazMost

KosimO said:
I didn't mean why didn't he mention it as forgotten hip-hop. I ment why didn't he mention it when he mentioned Pac, Big and Nas.
Because they I used a short series of examples to prove my point. I'm not going to mention every single popular hip-hop occurence in my introduction.

Lok

Since the only other site where I post don't know much about the East Coast scene, and there seem to be a few Heads here i'l go ahead & ask it here.

I came across a tape called "Young Gifted" a couple of weeks ago. These guys are from Jersey, and it looks like a Tape Only release because it only has 4 tracks & doesn't have a bar code.
Anyway, im wondering if anyone knows anything about these cats & if they actually dropped an LP, because this tape is pretty damn dope.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.