The Game, Common & DJ Muggs Add Hip-Hop Flavor To New Keanu Reeves Flick

Rahim

VIP Member
Staff member
Upcoming police drama Street Kings has hip-hop written all over it, not only do Common and The Game have starring roles, but former Cypress Hill producer DJ Muggs is also providing the score for the film.

Set on the gritty streets of Los Angeles, Street Kings features Keanu Reeves as an LAPD Vice Detective, determined to track down his former partner's killers. Forrest Whitaker, Common and The Game also star in the David Ayer-directed film. Ayer is known for writing such past films as Training Day and The Fast And The Furious.

In a recently released statement, Muggs described his duties on the project:

"We began the process of Street Kings by talking to David Ayer about the direction of the sound and how we wanted to convey certain moods in certain scenes," DJ Muggs explained. "Once the movie was shot, we went to work and brought the sound and movement to life."

"The main difference from scoring and making records is that in scoring the music can't loop," Muggs explained. "You gotta build, take away and add changes constantly as each frame changes. And the other difference is that when I make music, I only have to answer to me. This time I had the director and the producers and the studio Fox Searchlight. You have to make sure they get their vision across as well as the energy and emotion they want in the sound of their film. I'm here for that purpose."

DJ Muggs is currently working on his compilation album Soul Assassins III, as well as the concept album DJ Muggs vs. Planet Asia with Planet Asia.

Street Kings lands in theaters on April 11th.

Source: SOHH.com

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.