The Debate: Selling Sex

The Debate: Selling Sex
Monday - October 2, 2006

— by Joseph "JayRich" Robinson

How young is too young? At what age can you be sexy? What is the difference between sexy and racy? How old were you when you started having sex? How old were the girls in high school with the kids? Who's to blame?

Now, I want you to be real, real honest with yourself. Cassie is a 19-year-old model/ singer (maybe). Her first video is about her enthusiasm to showcase her sexual prowess and it just so happens that the target audience is a bunch of pop loving teens. Cassie's alternate video -- the Paris Hilton like tragedy all over YouTube.com -- gets straight to the point without any mystery to what she's talking about. How many of you thought she was 16 when you saw the mainstream video and said, "There's something wrong with that." But, when you found out that Cassie was indeed legal you said, "Oh, I can hit that!" Now, how many men out there didn't care to begin with? Ask yourselves, what's the difference? Yes, the mental situation, but older girls are mostly more experienced not necessarily smarter.

At what age can a girl be sexy and the men get to "look" without being a pervert? Never; because men these days looking at females aren't caring if they're underage, we continue with our feelings if the girl possesses a grown woman's body. However, the legal ramifications do keep us at bay -- some of us -- when it comes to making that decision. Most men don't care if Cassie isn't the best singer or dancer, her look is what the industry seems to be pitching. Newsflash, she isn't the only one.

The Pussycat Dolls' singles and videos have been sexy, but the bulk society widely considers Cassie's single as too racy! Beyonce danced on a chair, not to mention the lap dance on BET, in a champagne class, and she had Oprah doing the "booty dance" from "Crazy in Love." Yet, some people had more of a problem when Ciara danced on top of a car by herself as part of a routine. The age difference between these ladies is just a few years, but the conflict we have is their images. PSD came out and you knew what you were getting. We saw Beyonce go through the phases with Destiny's Child. Ciara's first single was about keeping her legs crossed even though you think that watching her dance. Another common factor these women have in common is their market; it's exactly the same from "TRL" to "106 & Park" to the Teen Choice Awards.

With all of that in a nutshell, the most reasonable conclusion to why people have their different opinions about the subject is this, attention span. If you ask a lot of the teens singing "Me and U," most of the ones I spoke with haven't even minutely thought of the song's content. These same teenagers are the ones who make up the bulk of her growing fan base. Before the "unofficial" video surfaced, they didn't even know that they were subconsciously singing about giving some head. If you have kids, breakdown the music. If you don't, just simply pay attention to what you're doing.

source: www.ballerstatus.net
Some good points here...

Casey

Staff member
Good article. Songs like that Cassie one are so dull and uninteresting. I wish these young girls would find something else to sing about these days, or at least be creative with it. These young rnb starlets are dull as dishwater.

Ivory$horty

†PoeticPrincess†
Militant said:
Good article. Songs like that Cassie one are so dull and uninteresting. I wish these young girls would find something else to sing about these days, or at least be creative with it. These young rnb starlets are dull as dishwater.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

_carmi

me, myself & us
Militant said:
that is what happens when cute girls wanna live the american dream and next they know they got the fame and they got all those pre-done pre-written songs with catchy hooks that the business company know they gonna sell. they only sell looks, nothing more.

true artists who dont sell their image are rare nowadays. damn sellouts.

marc

Militant said:
Hard to achieve as long as they dont/cant (or arent allowed to) write their own lyrics.

Kareem

Great article! Its not just the "pre written" songs these women have a choice an their choice is loud an clear "I'll do an say anything for money" Thanx bitches millions of young women an lil girls are watching you an listening to you an what is the message you convey to them? "Sell an pimp your pussy to get what you want". Then we wonder why our girls grow up to be hoes an have a number of illegitimate kids, or why a good man cant find a good woman. The record labels an producers are to blame as well but these artists especially as female artists could be standing up for whats right instead playing into it or passing blame.

thats why i dont listen to very many female artists. as least guys have something to say sometimes. girls talk to much about their boyfriends all the time

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.