The big breakthrough of 2006

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I didn't write this, and it's not my opinion. But I found this on a website. 10 people who are tipped to breakthrough in 2006, some names may suprise you.

PENELOPE JONES
Out of rapper Nelly's circle of friends, this St. Louis native spent nearly five years behind bars, and is definitely norap video girl. Her lyrical truths have come the hard way. After getting released, she made a hip hopdemo that sparked a bidding war thanks to her whip-smart rhyme schemes and taut flow. Jones is pretty green, but she's going to get a big push from her label, Universal, and the buzz on her debut, due in April, is huge.

9TH WONDER
You have to hesitate when considering DJ records because buyers respond to MCs first. But 9th Wonder is one of the most inventive producers in hip-hop. His full-time gig is in the band Little Brother. But in the past few years, Wonder has produced tracks for Mary J. Blige and Jay-Z. He brews deeply musical tracks that draw from various genres from straight-up pop to jazz. He's in the studio working on his solo debut, ''Dream Merchant Vol. 2," which will feature turns from Mos Def, Jean Grae, Buckshot, Little Brother, and Sean Price. It'll be on the terrific indie label 6 Hole and could jet Wonder into the top echelon of hip-hop producers.

RHYMEFEST
One of the best-known battle rappers, he has a major label debut, ''Blue Collar" that could be the first big hiphop record of the year. He co-wrote Kanye West's hip hop smash hit''Jesus Walks," and West produces his rap hip hop beats for lead single, ''Brand New." It's a delicious mix of Rhymefest's word wizardry and West's musical might. The MC is known for trying to inject real lyrical skills back into hiphop, and he has little patience for weak wordsmiths trying to pass themselves off as the hiphop elite. This is almost a can't-miss.

NE-YO
What does it say when a complete unknown's first joint drops in the dead of winter and turns out to be the first smash of the New Year? This 22-year-old singer has confidence and swing. And with a sly, smooth voice, he's poised to be the silky vocalist that MCs call to lay down hooks. He appears on a sharply etched track on Ghostface's upcoming CD, but it's the aptly titled single ''So Sick" that has radio programmers buzzing. If his full-length debut, due Feb. 28, is even close to it on the likability meter, then Ne-Yo may be the one.

STAT QUO
The last time Eminem backed an MC as he has this Atlanta native, his name was 50 Cent. Stat has toured with the G-Unit crew and blown hot on mixtapes. His unique flow has also impressed Dr. Dre, who produces a track on Stat Quo's debut, ''Statlanta," due later this year. With rap hip hop beat maker Scott Storch behind the board and guest MCs like Scarface, Devin the Dude, and, yep, Stat Quo's boss, word is that ''Statlanta" is on fire.

LADY SOVEREIGN
No one has gotten more hype than this diminutive Brit with the titanic mouth. So far, the 19-year-old has proved to be a tart versifier combining a quirky flow with a combative spirit. Last year's EP, ''Vertically Challenged," was just a tasty appetizer to her forthcoming full-length. But even with the mighty Def Jam machine behind her, there is a caveat. American hiphop fans seem to have trouble adjusting to British accents and linguistic quirks. Tons of people say they love the Streets, but try finding his records on the charts. And the brilliant Dizzee Rascal has fallen off the US radar. Can the Lady break the trend? Find out when her debut drops this summer.

MATISYAHU
Yes, his story sounds like something out of an Albert Brooks film. But there's nothing funny about the success of Matisyahu, a Hasidic MC -- with full beard and black fedora -- who has come out of the New York scene to outsell most of his indie peers. His sound is conscious reggae meets hip-hop meets traditional Jewish melodies, which means it's wildly unconventional and utterly original. The 26-year-old (real name Matthew Miller) saw his CD ''Live at Stubb's" jet up the charts last year rising almost into the Top 40 -- phenomenal for an independent release. When his major label debut, ''Youth," is released March 7, oy vey, is it going to be big.

A-TRAK
Since we're talking about those on the cusp, we can't ignore this DJ, who has won the world championship of turntablists five times and is now spinning for Kanye West. Translation: He'll have muscle behind him when he releases his debut this summer with guest spots from West, the Diplomats crew, and Little Brother (they get around). For now, he's got a new DVD out, ''Sunglasses Is a Must," and it gives you an idea of his remarkable skills.

ASAMOV
This group led by MCs Therapy, Basic, and J-One-Da is an inventive, lyrically diverse, and musically challenging unit from Florida. It released an overlooked disc, ''And Now . . .," last fall. So much of today's hip-hop is rote, with its cliched tales of street running, that it's great to hear verse brought with wit and style. Not to mention that locals Mr. Lif and Akrobatik make sharp cameos.

APATHY
Apathy has been wreaking havoc in the hip hop underground for a few years now. Some may recognize him from his work with 7L & Esoteric, but the 25-year-old from Connecticut has signed a deal with Atlantic and will drop a disc later in the year. On March 21, he releases his first major solo record, ''Eastern Philosophy," on the indie Babygrande label. Apathy is from the dank, dirty school of hip-hop that reveres early rap stylings. His aggressive approach and tenacious wordplay have made their mark. He just appeared on Mike Shinoda's Fort Minor record, and there's no doubt people are starting to pay attention.

7 Syns

Maybe Stat-Quo, wishing thinking got me hoping it's Bishop Lamont. Rhymefest and Maino have a good chance as does Quan if he eventually drops.

peace.

SiGh

Who's there?
Staff member
Quan wont do good in the mainstream game. Stat Quo maybe if em sets him up straight. Ne-Yo is already blowing up. Other then that, I wonder about the rest.

atrak and acouple other people were suppose to blow up a while ago. And alot of other people can def, be added to this list..in exchange of others.

^^wonder about the rest?...umm 9th wonder?!? lol

apathy is pretty dope

and wasnt the last mc eminem backed obie trice?...but who cares really....all shady/aftermath releases sound like overproduced commercial garbage.....only album im looking forward to from them is detox!

SiGh

Who's there?
Staff member
9th wonder was suppose to blow in 03. im not saying they arent talented and etc. Im just wondering if this is their year.

and btw, u got Muslim spelled wrong in your signature.

SiGh

Who's there?
Staff member
sniper said:
i think rhymefest and ne-yo are probably dead certs, ne-yo already got buzz with one single on the radio.

2 singles. so sick is the 2nd single. and hes all over ny performing and getting that thick buzz.

Quan definately has some talent, and we've seen what Ne-yo and Rhyme can do. Never heard much of Stat Quo, loved them at live aid though, maybe that was status quo...
Lady Sovereign needs a writer to do well Stateside. Dizzee Rascal has a lot of talent but couldn't break it over there I doubt she will do any better.
Isn't Bishop dropping a debut this year?

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Four Bars said:
Quan definately has some talent, and we've seen what Ne-yo and Rhyme can do. Never heard much of Stat Quo, loved them at live aid though, maybe that was status quo...
Lady Sovereign needs a writer to do well Stateside. Dizzee Rascal has a lot of talent but couldn't break it over there I doubt she will do any better.
Isn't Bishop dropping a debut this year?

Bishop is on Aftermath. He's got to join that ever increasing queue.

Why can't he go work with Warren G, and get an album out through him? He's on 80% of his album.

Asamov and Apathy are dope, but I don't think they will appeal to the mainstream...

However I wouldn't be surprised if 9th wonder blew up this year

linx

Staff member
I just saw Apathy live with Fort Minor and Little Brother. Dude definitely held it down with the Demigodz. He was speaking on the situation with Atlantic and how it was bullshit though. They want him to make shit he doesn't want to do. Bullshit pop shit I guess. So he made a fuck you song to them. It was funny live.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.