T.I teams up with Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe on American Gangster

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Atlanta rapper and King, T.I has been added to the cast for Image Entertainment's American Gangster, alongside Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe. Production finally began on Monday in Queens, NY.

Gangster’s long and winding road began in late 2004, when director Antoine Fuqua was attached to direct Washington and Benicio Del Toro in the lead roles. But a month before production, Universal Pictures chairman Stacey Snider canceled the film over fear the budget would surpass $100 million.

Imagine's Brian Grazer, who developed the drama from a New York magazine article by Mark Jacobson, brought in Hotel Rwanda writer-director Terry George to punch up Steve Zaillian's script and trim the budget. But Scott eventually dropped out after Universal still couldn’t get its budget issues together.

With the money situation finally worked out, enter Ridley Scott, who will now direct Washington and Crowe in the 1970s-set film about a police detective (Crowe) on the heels of a drug lord (Washington) who smuggled heroin into Harlem inside the coffins of soldiers returning from Vietnam. T.I. will play Washington’s nephew, a character he says is "somewhat of a stretch."

"Right now I'm learning everything I can about my character. I'm just there to soak things up," T.I. says. "There's a bunch of Academy Award-winners on this cast and I'm just there to learn. I'm in school."

sounds sort of like "training day" only hopefully denzel kills more ppl this time, without dying himself. i would like to see denzel kill russel crowe.

Shot 21

IversonPac said:
sounds sort of like "training day" only hopefully denzel kills more ppl this time, without dying himself. i would like to see denzel kill russel crowe.
Nah. You already know Russell is gonna kill Denzel and T.I.

IversonPac said:
How does this sound anything like Training Day? I'm not being rude, but aside from it used to having the same director (Fuqua) and starring Denzel Washington it doesn't have a thing in common with it. That's like saying this sounds sort of like "Gladiator" because it has the same actor (Russel Crowe) and same Director (Ridley Scott). I don't get it...

cuz it is one of the few movies where it will have denzel as a bad guy... look at all his roles, john q and stuff like that. he is the good guy, now he will be the bad guy (and yeah prolly get killed) involved with drugs... hmm like training day :eek:

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.