Subsonic Two - Unsung Heroes of Hip-Hop

Casey

Staff member
Live at Brixton Academy:

[youtube]EIp6f2nS5LE[/youtube]

Music Video:

[youtube]TGyNyBc0cBA[/youtube]

A little backstory for this one......when I worked at the BBC a couple of years ago, my line manager/head of the team was a tall white guy with glasses.....certainly not someone who I'd think that I'd have something in common with.

Anyway, of course one of our first discussions revolved around what we did. I told him I was a rapper in a band, signed to Sony (this is before we left Sony and went to EMI). Never in a million years did I expect his response to be. "I used to rap, and I was signed to Sony at one point too".

As the conversation moved more into hip-hop, it seems that the man had racked up some cool credentials back in the early 90's, not least of all being the first UK act to work with the legendary DJ Premier, rapping with Guru, touring with Salt-N-Pepa and being invited over to record at the legendary D&D Studios, the studio Premier and KRS-One (amongst others) were famous for using. Due to the birth of his child, this trip never happened.

The record was well-received, but I suppose not well enough for Sony to continue working with the duo.

Anyway, long story short, he's the rapper on these two videos I posted. They are both the same track, but one is the music vid and one's a live performance. YouTube is great! :D

If any hardcore heads can track down the song "Dedicated To The City", (that was one of the cuts produced by Primo) or the album "Include Me Out", hit me up with a link. If I can't find it I'll see if the man himself can send me over the tracks......I haven't spoke to him in a while though as I don't work for the BBC any more.

This site
appeared to have links to the Primo tracks, but sadly they don't work anymore.

Casey

Staff member
I heard back from MC Steel himself yesterday. I'm going to email him back and see if he can send me a rip of the album.

Casey

Staff member
I will then harrass and stalk you until you share it. :)
No worries.

Judging from the few credits I found, the track with Guru was done before he was actually named Guru, as he is credited as "Keith E".

That must be the moniker he originally used, as his real name is Keith Elam.

Edit - wikipedia tells me that his original moniker was "Keithy E The Guru". That makes sense.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.