Study Finds Rap Listeners Have Outgoing Personalities

Rahim

VIP Member
Staff member
A recent survey conducted by a British professor trying to find links between personality and music taste has concluded that rap music listeners have outgoing personalities.

According to ITN, more than 36,000 people around the world took part in the survey and were asked to rate 104 musical styles while answering questions about their personality.

The survey found that rap fans are outgoing while heavy metal fans are gentle and lazy.

The survey also found that indie music listeners lack self-esteem, pop music fans are uncreative and country / western fans are hard-working. Fans of jazz and classical music tended to be self-confident and innovative.

"We have always suspected a link between music taste and personality. This is the first time that we've been able to look at it in real detail. No-one has ever done this on this scale before," said Heriot-Watt University professor Adrian North. "People do actually define themselves through music and relate to other people through it but we haven't known in detail how music is connected to identity."

Source: Sixshot.com

Preach

this is obviously a very general and superficial study. it does have some valid points i think, but as will all studies and surveys, you're not supposed to take the result and expect reality to apply to it one hundred percent. however, you can say that generally, a large number of hiphop fans are outgoing. whereas generally, a large number of indie fans exhibit low self-esteem. self-esteem is a relative term. lacking self-esteem doesn't mean you're a scared little loser. one can easily fake confidence. lack of self-esteem does make people highly self-conscious, but accepting who you are doesn't necessarily block all those self-conscious thoughts that become more a force of habit and less a rational chain of thoughts as you progress through life.

to me, this description fits perfectly. i like rap-music and find myself to be very outgoing. people say this about me, that i'm outgoing. i also like indie music, and i also lack all the self-esteem i could have had. i'm both lazy and creative depending on mood. i guess my point is, this test wasn't done to use as a norm for how to characterize people, it's simply about seeing the connections and taking them for what they are.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.