Steve Irwin's manager takes aim at Ras Kass

ill-matic

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=154853

Irwin manager takes aim at US rapper
Monday Oct 23 18:32 AEST
Steve Irwin's manager John Stainton has hit out at a US rapper for using a reference to the Crocodile Hunter's death to attack a rival.

Ras Kass has maintained his long-running feud with fellow gangster rapper The Game by using an Irwin-inspired slur in his new song "Gayme Over".

During the track, Kass takes aim at The Game with the line "You're the waste of LA ... you the Crocodile Hunter, I am the stingray".

Mr Irwin died after being stabbed in the chest with a stingray barb on the Great Barrier Reef on September 4.

"I just find it a bit sad that people have to stoop to that," Mr Stainton said.

"It is disappointing. I can't understand the point of it. There are other references they can make that will put the point across.

"I just think it is a pity that people do have to use Steve or anyone who has died in tragic circumstances ... as a form of entertainment."

Mr Stainton also condemned emails and internet pictures that make light of Mr Irwin's death.

"The fact that people have gone to the trouble of doing those sort of photographs I just find it really distasteful," he said.

"Dummied up photos, all the things that are happening around the world associated with Steve's tragedy - I just can't understand it to be honest.

"I don't ever go to the web fortunately. I don't give time to that."

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Such is life.

He doesn't understand hip-hop. No subject is untouchable.

Remember... Bizarre has sex with 11 year old girls.

And Steve Irwin is going to get all the sick jokes about his death. That's what happens to people in the public eye. Happens to everyone from The Royal Family to Freddie Mercury to JFK.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
MaKaVeLi2K3 said:
I agree with the guy. It's very disrespectul. It's no different than "You're 2Pac, I'm the gun man".

That would be a very poor line.

It would be more similar to when Chino XL commented on 2pac getting raped in jail. Or to the many disses on Biggie's "Long Kiss Goodnoght".

ChrisZimbo

Staff member
Pittsey said:
That would be a very poor line.

It would be more similar to when Chino XL commented on 2pac getting raped in jail. Or to the many disses on Biggie's "Long Kiss Goodnoght".
lol , how is it different . Both lines are about death

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Zimbabwe said:
lol , how is it different . Both lines are about death

I didn't mean it was different.

I meant that would be .... to use terms you rap fans would understand ... A very wack line.

It's odd that Irwin's manager caught wind of some diss song by Ras Kass of all people... it's not like he gets heavy rotation on the radio or TV anymore.

Do you guys think Game will make a diss track about him? While Game has been on a beefing spree, maybe he might bite his tongue this time around since he doesn't want to blow up Ras's name and give him publicity.

shinehigh

Shine High 4 Life
I see no one has notice that even steve manager uses steve death to get the point across in the statement "There are other references they can make that will put the point across"... Is he talking about the point of the barb that took steve's life ... Oh man I bet I am going to catch heat ... Hey I didn't say it

shinehigh said:
I see no one has notice that even steve manager uses steve death to get the point across in the statement "There are other references they can make that will put the point across"... Is he talking about the point of the barb that took steve's life ... Oh man I bet I am going to catch heat ... Hey I didn't say it
When his manager said that, he didn't mean that Ras could've used Steve's death in a different way to get the same point across... what he was trying to say was that Ras should've used a different metaphor instead of one based on Steve.

I guess the Aussies have a lot to learn about hip-hop; as said earlier, almost no subject is taboo in lyricism. I figured this specific metaphor was pretty tame, whereas you've had guys in the past like Chino XL who have made similes about Jon Benet Ramsey's murder and Eminem who talks about Sonny Bono's skiing death.

ArtsyGirl

DeeezNuuuts83 said:
I guess the Aussies have a lot to learn about hip-hop; as said earlier, almost no subject is taboo in lyricism. I figured this specific metaphor was pretty tame, whereas you've had guys in the past like Chino XL who have made similes about Jon Benet Ramsey's murder and Eminem who talks about Sonny Bono's skiing death.
I think Steve's Manager has alot to learn about hip hop. Plus if this was a comedian making jokes he'd speak on that, as he did on the photo's making jokes about his death. Ofcourse close friends of Steve arnt going to agree this is ok, thats family you know?

I'm on the fence with this one. I like(d) Steve Irwin, but Ras Kass is just using it as a line.

Nothing much more can be said really. It shouldn't be looked so far into.

lii

when its someone u know personally, a line like that would be offensive to u, u wouldnt just be like 'well thats hip hop, i understand that' especially so close to their death. ppl here were going mad about those shirts that say 'i shot tupac'

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online