Spike Lee critcizes Snoop and hip-hop's Pimp culture

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Spike Lee spoke out against the promotion of gangsta pimp images within hip hop and pop culture during a lecture as part of the University of Florida's Accent Speaker's Bureau series.

"No one gets upset that pimpdom gets elevated on a pedestal," he said, during Wednesday’s speech in front of about 2,000 people. "We are bombarded by these gangsta images again and again and again and again . . . They do make a difference on human behavior.”

Lee singled out Snoop Dogg as a prime example of an artist who is glamorizing the lifestyle. He also criticized the stereotypical images in the film Soul Plane, which starred Snoop as the pilot, and said kids being allowed to watch television unsupervised is “criminal.”

In addition to denouncing rap videos as misogynistic and calling rappers who promote the gangsta/pimp lifestyle “coonish,” Lee dropped some career advice on the audience of mostly college students.

“These four years or more, this is the time to decide what it is you love,” Lee said. “I am blessed. I say my prayers every night. Not many people on this Earth get to do what they love. Find a profession you love so much, you'd do it for free.”

SiGh

Who's there?
Staff member
Snoop aint a fucking pimp. Such bullshit. Every1 knows pimps and gangstas dont get along. Gangsta keep druggin the hoes up, and the pimps get mad. Then the hoes dont want to be with the Pimps anymore. The pimps and gangstas have total different territory.

Fuck snoop for pretending to be shit he aint. He aint a gangsta either.

SonOf2pac

there are two kinds of pimps... the original pimp is the one that sells prostitutes and receives money from them in return for protection... the new pimp glorified by Snoop (and perfected by me :horny: ) is the one that can pretty much bone any chick... u can b a gangsta and a pimp in that context... BOOM!

ARon

Spike Lee says something like this and so far the replies are about what a pimp is and if snoop is one or not. He made a powerful statement that will get overlooked probably. Props to him.

S. Fourteen

"kids being allowed to watch television unsupervised is “criminal.”"

i agree with this statement. there are bad things out there but finger pointing isn't going to do much. people need to solve problems within their homes first. a well educated mind is a good protection i think.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Aristotle said:
Spike Lee says something like this and so far the replies are about what a pimp is and if snoop is one or not. He made a powerful statement that will get overlooked probably. Props to him.

A powerful statement, or a load of bull

2pac's opinion on Spike Lee is probably the 1 I'd go with.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.