sorry but Jay-Z destroyed Nas

ill-matic

people only say Nas "won" because he was the underdog. He only had to come up with something sub-par to be considered the winner. Jay-Z was on top of his game at that point.. and everyone hates the one's on top. Ultimately the mood was that people WANTED to see Nas on top. Spit a couple of hot lines, and he wins by default - regardless of what Jigga would say.

But thats the advantage of hindsight - not being caught up in the hype and the bullshit of that particular moment. And in hindsight, Jay-Z absolutely SHAT all over Nas. He destroyed him. If they had this "beef" now, Nas' career would be finished.

Ether is pretty hot.. but it's childish as fuck.

Thoughts?

Caesar

Staff member
I dono man, the thing was no one expected Nas to come out with Ether like that, and he was pretty much at the top of his (recent) career at that point too. Stillmatic hype was high.

When Nas dropped Ether it was just "WOAH!"

But yes, now, seeing as Nas is barely relevant, Jay-Z would murder him.

Snowman

Ether was WAY better than anything Jigga put out back in the day Diss wise.

i just think Nas is the better of the Two, Jigga is a slick dude but overrated at times.

Personally I always thought Ether was overrated... I think that even more when I listen to it now. Infact I was thinking of making a thread on this. I dont see why ether is the standard for diss records. When you got shit like 'Its On' by Eazy-E and 'Real Muthafuckin Gz'.. oh and lets not forget 'The Bitch in You' by fuckin Common!

.. and there's alot more

Shadows

I think Ether fucked Jay-Z up. If anything, the people that were saying Jay-Z won was only b/c he was popular.

Looking back at some things, I just asked some friends to see who they thought who really won (they picked Jay Z before) and now they pick Nas.

Casey

Staff member
Naw. Ether straight up KILLED Jigga. I remember clearly when it dropped. It's a case of tactics and timing.

Here's how it happened as I remember it:

1. Nas drops Stillmatic (freestyle) after Jigga had been taking subliminal shots for a couple of years. Includes the blatant call out "Is he H to the Izzo, M to the Izzo"

2. Jay-Z gathers every bit of ammo he has on Nas and drops "Takeover". Bad move. He exhausted everything he had except for one thing that he thought was his ace card.

3. Nas fucks Jigga up, HEAVILY with Ether.

4. Everyone's looking at Jay to come back harder. He has to come back hard if he wants to win this. But he's got nothing.....except for the Carmen line. Except in actuality, it's a pretty shit diss. Number one, it's in bad taste, enough so that Jay has to apologize for it publically after his mother berated him. (lol)

Number two, admitting to the world that you had Nas's "sloppy seconds" is kinda lame. It's not cool really.

On top of that, "Pretty Ugly" was just a shit record.

Ether remains the king.

I agree with ImmortalTech....I heard Semtex say to Jay-Z the other day that he thought Takeover was the best diss ever. I was like "r u on fucking crack?"

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
This is a good analysis of the beef between Nas and Jigga: The Genesis of Beef: Nas vs Jay-Z | KevinNottingham.com

Although I thought Ether was a better song than any of the songs Jigga directed at Nas, I didn't think it was a good diss per se but that's just me. In the end, I think Jigga won the beef in general (not on wax, though) because Nas ended up signing under Jigga at Def Jam.

ill-matic

i dont understand how Ether shits on anything Jigga put out. which lines in particular? the first 2 verses Nas is just shit talking about people going @ him and how good he is. it's only in the final line of the second verse that he begins his assault. so let's summarise Ether:

* calls Jay-Z a camel
* refers to Jay-Z as "Gay-Z" and Rocafella as "Cockafella" (childish)

and redundant lines which have no credibility like;

This for dolo and it's manuscript, just sound stupid
When KRS already made an album called Blueprint

^^ thats a reach.. the names are SIMILAR.

First, Biggie's ya man, then you got the nerve to say that you better than Big
Dick sucking lips, why not you let the late, great veteran live

^^ what does he even mean? it's a childish "gay" swipe and is just stupid. in some respects Jay IS better than Big.

Y'all niggas deal with emotions like bitches
What's sad is I love you 'cause you're my brother
You traded your soul for riches
My child, I've watched you grow up to be famous
And now I smile like a proud dad, watching his only son that made it
You seem to be only concerned with dissing women
Were you abused as a child, scared to smile, they called you ugly?
Well life is hard, hug me, don't reject me
Or make records to disrespect me, blatent or indirectly

^^ all of that is just shit talking. so far we are a quarter of the way through the THIRD VERSE and he hasn't said anything concrete or solid or anything worthy of a "wow...."

In '88 you was getting chased through your building
Calling my crib and I ain't even give you my numbers

^^ no body even knows if this is true. it's most likely BULLSHIT.

All I did was gave you a style for you to run with
Smiling in my face, glad to break bread with the god
Wearing Jaz chains, no tecs, no cash, no cars
No jail bars Jigga, no pies, no case
Just Hawaiian shirts, hanging with little Chase
You a fan, a phony, a fake, a pussy, a Stan
I still whip your ass, you thirty-six in a karate class
You Tae-bo hoe, tryna' work it out, you tryna' get brolic?
Ask me if I'm tryna' kick knowledge
Nah, I'm tryna' kick the shit you need to learn though
That ether, that shit that make your soul burn slow

^^ again.. nothing concrete here. tai bo ho? wearing hawaiin shirts? none of this is hard hitting. now we're half way through the third verse and STILL nothing worthy of a "wow..."

Is he Dame Diddy, Dame Daddy or Dame Dummy?
Oh, I get it, you Biggie and he's Puffy

^^ i suppose this one is OK

Rockefeller died of AIDS, that was the end of his chapter
And that's the guy y'all chose to name your company after?

This line is fucking ridiculous. Rockefeller is an entrepreneur worth billions....

Put it together, I rock hoes, y'all rock fellas
And now y'all try to take my spot, fellas?

^^ the wordplay here is decent... but nothing flash..

Philly's hot rock fellas, put you in a dry spot, fellas
In a pine box with nine shots from my glock, fellas
Foxy got you hot 'cause you kept your face in her puss
What you think, you getting girls now 'cause of your looks?
Ne-gro please
You no mustache having, with whiskers like a rat
Compared to Beans you wack

^^ here Nas talks about putting Jigga in a pine box.. and spends a few lines knocking his appearance. Those kinds of lines CAN be good if theyre funny or witty in someway.. but instead Nas only comes up with "you no moustache having.. you have whiskers like a rat"... i mean, what the fuck? that sounds like some school yard shit.

And your man stabbed Un and made you take the blame
You ass, went from Jaz to hanging with Caine, to Herb, to Big
And, Eminem murdered you on your own shit
You a dick-riding faggot, you love the attention
Queens niggas run you niggas, ask Russell Simmons
Ha, R-O-C get gunned up and clapped quick
J.J. Evans get gunned up and clapped quick
Your whole damn record label gunned up and clapped quick
Shawn Carter to Jay-Z, damn you on Jaz dick
So little shorty's getting gunned up and clapped quick
How much of Biggie's rhymes is gonna come out your fat lips?
Wanted to be on every last one of my classics
You pop shit, apologize, nigga, just ask Kiss

^^^ nothing here.. all bullshit.. Eminem murdered you on your own shit... So fucking what? Eminem is a great rapper, so how is that a negative that he may have outshined Jigga? makes no sense.. Is it bad to be outshone by Eminem? whats the point of that "diss"

so in summary, Ether boils down to:

* comments about Jay-Z's appearance
* Eminem having a hotter verse
* dick sucking lips
* homo jokes like "Gay-Z"
* biting biggie

there's nothing else.

Super Ugly and the Takeover SHITS all over Ether.

ill-matic

oh and for those saying the Carmen related disses were bad and in poor taste...

come on.. so Pac can say "thats why i fucked your bitch you fat motherfucker" and everyone is like "ohhhh damnn Pac really got at Big there".. but when Jay-Z does it, it's bad taste?

no way.

At the end of the day.. Jay-Z kept it lyrical, and musical initially. He broke down Nas' career "thats one hot album every ten year average".. and then Nas comes in, says absolutely nothing concrete and resorts to childish disses about Jigga's sexuality and appearance, taking it to the personal level. So Jigga responds, but gives it 1000 times harder. Maybe too much, who knows.

In the end, no one wanted Jay-Z to "win". Just like the Ja Rule v 50 thing.. everyone roots for the underdog. No matter what Ja Rule woulda put out he would be considered the loser. As was 50 in the Rick Ross beef.

Caesar

Staff member
I think Ether was the better song. But Takeover was a better diss.

Best line of the whole beef though belongs to Jay-Z:

"So yeah I sampled your voice, you was usin it wrong, You made it a hot line, I made it a hot song."

Caesar

Staff member

come on.. so Pac can say "thats why i fucked your bitch you fat motherfucker" and everyone is like "ohhhh damnn Pac really got at Big there".. but when Jay-Z does it, it's bad taste?

no way.

At the end of the day.. Jay-Z kept it lyrical, and musical initially. He broke down Nas' career "thats one hot album every ten year average".. and then Nas comes in, says absolutely nothing concrete and resorts to childish disses about Jigga's sexuality and appearance, taking it to the personal level. So Jigga responds, but gives it 1000 times harder. Maybe too much, who knows.

In the end, no one wanted Jay-Z to "win". Just like the Ja Rule v 50 thing.. everyone roots for the underdog. No matter what Ja Rule woulda put out he would be considered the loser. As was 50 in the Rick Ross beef.

I do agree, except on the bolded part. Say what?

masta247

Staff member
I think that Ether was always overrated but I totally dislike Jay-Z as a rapper. His voice and style is just terrible to me and I never understood the hype around him.

Personally I have always found Nas vs. Jay-Z beef boring and the culmination point of that boringness was when they recorded a song together. Noone won that. Nas looked like a pussy for rapping under Jay's label and Jay-Z can't rap.

ill-matic

lol ... thats a stupid opinion. no offence.

yes, everyones entitled to an opinion,

but "jay-z cant rap" is rubbish. of course he can. this isn't debatable. however, with respect to how good he is, that IS debatable.

THEV1LL4N

no way.

leave carmi out of this.

masta247

Staff member
lol ... thats a stupid opinion. no offence.

yes, everyones entitled to an opinion,

but "jay-z cant rap" is rubbish. of course he can. this isn't debatable. however, with respect to how good he is, that IS debatable.
Obviously by "can't rap" I mean that I find his rapping rubbish. If he couldn't rap he wouldn't be a successful rapper (I hope).
In some way a huge amount of people on this world can rap and I just don't see how Jay-Z stands out.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.