Songs that Sample Soul Classics.

What up everybody.

I am trying to put together a little cd for myself (and whomever else wants one) full of songs that sample/include soul artists and their classic songs. These songs, they are my favorite type of songs hands down. I love raw singing that comes straight from the depths of a persons soul. I dont really have much to work with as of yet, but as of now I have.

Eric Sermon Feat. Marvin Gaye-Music
Scarface Feat. Marvin Gaye-A minute to pray, a second to die.
Ghostface-Holla

James Brown, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Temptations, etc.
These songs dont have to be "classics", i just want them to incorporate the singers themselves.

So everyone out there in Streethop world that gets down to tracks like these, please help me compile a mass of songs that are similar to these. Much Apperciated.

I am eager to hear what the final cd will sound like.

Tekneek said:
Can it be sped up or what?
yeah anything, ill listen to everysong someone puts on here. ANYTHING!(dont read too much into that)

It can be same beat or same artist. Meaning that the sample doesnt have to included the artist singing, it can just be the beat, or just the vocals, or a combination of the 2.

Ludacris - Southern Fried Intro (Samples "Walk On By" by Isaac Hayes)

Jay-Z, Beanie Sigel, & Scarface -This Can't Be Life (Samples "Miss You" by Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes)

Jay - Z - Can I Live & Ashanti - Rain On Me (Samples "The Look Of Love" by Isaac Hayes)

2Pac - Bury Me A G & Nas - Good Morning (Samples "For The Love Of You" by The Isley Brothers)

Notorious B.I.G. - Big Poppa & Jim Jones - Summer Wit' Miami (Samples "Between The Sheets" by The Isley Brothers)

Ja Rule - Change Gon' Come [Not the album version] (Samples "A Change Is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke)

Bang 'Em & Domination - I'll Be Around (Samples "I'll Be Around" by The Spinners)

I'm sure I can go on for a while, but these should help. You'll find out that 99% of hip-hop samples old soul songs.

Casey

Staff member
Tekneek said:
Bang 'Em & Domination - I'll Be Around (Samples "I'll Be Around" by The Spinners)
Fuck Bang Em & Domination's version.....listen to "I'll Be Around" by Rappin 4 Tay.

Militant said:
Fuck Bang Em & Domination's version.....listen to "I'll Be Around" by Rappin 4 Tay.
yeah that song was on constant repeat this past summer and is a classic jam. Those are the typa jams i ned more of. Hook me up militant, i know u know a shit load of all types of artists man.

Casey

Staff member
HiGhTillDeaTH said:
yeah that song was on constant repeat this past summer and is a classic jam. Those are the typa jams i ned more of. Hook me up militant, i know u know a shit load of all types of artists man.

Cheers for the compliment :D

but yeah, i wouldn't be happy just thinking of one or two off the top of my head, i'd have to write you a long ass list, haha. but i know you're into your soul, as am I, so everytime a gem comes to mind I will let you know.

Militant said:
Cheers for the compliment :D

but yeah, i wouldn't be happy just thinking of one or two off the top of my head, i'd have to write you a long ass list, haha. but i know you're into your soul, as am I, so everytime a gem comes to mind I will let you know.

Now thats what im talking about, and believe me i understand what ur talking about with the whole list thing. When ur talking soul, ad ur talking classics, u must take everything into consideration. Much appreciated Militant.

Shot 21

Kanye West - Touch The Sky. Cant remember what it sapmples but Im sure that is a soul track. And Gold Digger. It was supposed to saple Ray Charles but Jamie Foxx had to sing his bit. Is that what your looking for?

Shot 21 said:
Kanye West - Touch The Sky. Cant remember what it sapmples but Im sure that is a soul track. And Gold Digger. It was supposed to saple Ray Charles but Jamie Foxx had to sing his bit. Is that what your looking for?
In that case, don't forget Ludacris & Field Mob - Georgia (Also samples Ray Charles)

Shot 21 said:
nah im looking for something in the 90's. we all know about the brand new ones, i wanna take a trip down memory lane.

******Listen to scarface- A minute to pray, a second to die. it is the epitimy of what im looking for. ill up it in a min.

http://s59.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=17VJ1198ZBUG70TOLCKB33K3R3

Casey

Staff member
Shot 21 said:

how can you not know what that is sampled from???? i thought everyone knew that lol. Touch The Sky is sampled from 'Move On Up' by Curtis Mayfield, it's a very famous song.

You can tell when a producers so good thast the sample sounds like something completley new really

AZ-Gimme Yours (samples Minnie Riperton-Here We Go)

S. Fourteen

Outkast - Two Dope Boyz (In A Cadillac) = Danger, She's A Stranger by The 5 Stairsteps

Common - Love Is = God Is Love by Marvin Gaye

Do or Die - Higher = You’re My Latest, My Greatest Inspiratio by Teddy Pendergrass

Diddy - Journey Through the Life = Your Love Is Like the Morning Sun by Al Green

Mase - What You Want = Right On For The Darkness by Curtis Mayfield

Young Jeezy - Go Crazy & All My Life - Freeway = (Man, Oh Man) I Want To Go Back by The Impressions

Noreaga - The Way We Live. = Caravan of Love by The Isley Brothers

Freeway - Victim of the Ghetto = We Belong Together by The Spinners

Freeway - You Don't Know = Inside My Love by Minnie Ripperton

Talib Kweli - Good To You = Simply Beautiful by Al Green

Beanie Sigel - Purple Rain = In The Rain by The Dramatics

Young Gunz - Life We Choose = They Long To Be Close To You by Isaac Hayes

Bun B - Pushin' = Keep On Pushing by The Impressions

T.I. - Why You Mad At Me = Bumpy's Lament by Isaac Hayes

ARon

On the Intro to CNN's album The Reunion, Anthony Hamilton sings Change gone come by mr. cooke. I like it a lot, check it out.

Aristotle said:
On the Intro to CNN's album The Reunion, Anthony Hamilton sings Change gone come by mr. cooke. I like it a lot, check it out.
I will do that, thank you.
Plus thanks to every one who has given their input aswell, but keep them comin please.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.