Some thoughts I have about hip-hop stuff in general..

7 Syns

* I bump Big L's "Lifestyle's ov the poor & dangerous" strictly for his rhymes and flow. I dislike alot of the beats on it, but I rate it strongly off his rhymes alone. "Street Struck" & "Put It On" are dope as hell.

* Kool G Rap's "Roots of Evil" is genius. Mafioso rap at it's finest. He's one of the best story-teller's in hip-hop.

* Besides a couple of joints off "Soul On Ice", I thought it was rather mediocore. Ras Kass lyrics are ill but his flow and song structure aren't all that. "Miami Life" is my favourite track on it btw.

* The Grind Date by De La in one of the best records in the past decade, first thoughts on it was that it was just ok. But after re-listens I found it to be ill as. I love it.

* Even though I rarely speak about him, MF Grimm's albums get a spin in my car/home stereo atleast once every 3 weeks. Thats good considering I have a shitload of albums.

* The 18th Letter is Ra's best work to date as an artist, he had matured more musically and in general. I'll re-say this again, a mature Rakim >> a younger Rakim. With that said, his first 4 albums always get played by me.

* Joe Buddens is a pretty dope emcee.

* Bishop Lamont had alot of potential, but he won't reach it. Saying that the WEST has some of the nicest acts at the moment doing their thing behind the mic or rocking a stage in Ras Kass, Crooked I, Rasco & Planet Asia, Murs, Tash and ofcourse Bishop Lamont.

*Big Pun's song "Capital Punishment" off Capital Punishment shows some of the greatest breath control Ive ever heard. Was he flowing fast? slow? Or at normal rate?

* I don't really listen to Common, I regard him as a great emcee even though personally I never really felt his flow.

* Ive never been able to find a Peter Gunz & Lord Tariq album.. 10 years and still no result.

* Organized Konfusion are the best rhyming duo. Equinox is one of the strangest albums ive ever heard but I like it.

* OC is better than Nas, Cormega & AZ.

* Lord Finesse, Pete Rock, Large Professor & Easy Moe Bee are my favorite producers. Chucky Thompson is one of the most underrated.

* The first record I ever bought with my own $$$ was Naughty By Nature's single OPP. The 2nd was Redman's single Time 4 Sum Akson. I was given Whut? The Album on tape when I was 9 years old (1993) as a prize at the Exibition Show (Ekka) <--an aussie fesitival.

peace.

linx

Staff member
I agree with your first 3 comments. The De La one i'm not so sure about, but I did enjoy the album very much. I also pretty much agree with what you said about Rakim. I don't think Joe Budden is a bad emcee, I was just never much of a fan. I never listened to Common a real lot either, but I also consider him a great emcee. Organized Konfusion is dope as hell. The OC comment blew me away man, lol. I don't know how to respond to that. I'll post some of my own thoughts in a bit.

linx

Staff member
* Pun was alot better than Biggie. If you match up their albums, I think Biggie has the slight edge cause Yeaaah Baby wasn't so great. As emcees though, Pun was better and alot more of a complete emcee.

* Black Thought AND Az are probably up there with the best lyricsist of all time.

* I've always been a huge Wu fan and considered them one of the best groups of all time, but who else thinks their catalogue probably doesn't match up to other great groups like A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, EPMD (?), Organized Konfusion (?) and maybe even Mobb Deep? Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

* I consider Rakim, Big Daddy Kane and Kool G Rap to be 3 of the best, if not THE best lyricsists of all time. But I can never really say who I think is better on the lyrical level since I sometimes go back and forth. Right now though, I think it's Kane.

* Little Brother is one of the best groups around right now. I know alot of people will probably disagree, but it's just what I think. 9th Wonder's great production and the nice chemistry of Tay and Pooh is great. I've been a fan of LB (basically Justus League as a whole) for a while, but their latest release "The Minstrel Show" just made me alot more of a fan. Didn't think it was possible.

* I used to be a big Jedi Mind Tricks fan and although I still enjoy their music, I don't know why I liked them so much before. I wasn't obsessed with them or anything, but they were one of my favorite groups (maybe even THE favorite) at one time.

How about this bad boy

"Game Related" by the Click, is the most slept on album. It has something for everybody on there. Money making songs, drinking, smoking, a woman rapper.

7 Syns

roaches said:
* How can one front on DITC beats?
* Rakim's best work is Let the Rhythm Hit Em, imo
I don't front, I just thought some beats on 'soul on ice' & 'lifestyles ov da poor & dangerous' were eh. Overall though Diamond D's beats are knocking as I said, Lord Finesse is a personal favorite.

As for Ra, I can see why you say that. It's a hot album.

peace.

The beats on Soul On Ice were mediocre at best, but his song structure on the album? I'm not saying that it was perfect but 2/3 verse songs separated by hooks (bar Nature of the Threat) is hardly anything to complain about, if you are talking about his structure in terms of how basic it is, maybe you have a point. But he did that album in a way that was extremely conventional. And his flow I guess it's a matter of taste whether you appreciate it, but again he wasn't doing anything way out, it was quite straight forward, maybe not loved but at least appreciated. Since everything on the album was so basic, it obviously isn't going to stand out because of anything besides the wordplay/replay ability.

About the flow, you don't like "Etc."?

Cosign on the OK comment, I been bumping "The Equinox" a bit more than usual recently, loving the songs where Prince Po outshines Monch.

where i can hear some O.C.? i dont have a credit card or somehow i can order a mixtape, any website/forum/download i can hit?

i really want to check him out i hear nothing but good shit

a

Besides a couple of joints off "Soul On Ice", I thought it was rather mediocore.
I remember you used to big this album up whenever you got the chance. And i could've sworn you've made multiple threads proclaiming it as one of the greatest of all time.

Ras Kass, Crooked I, Rasco & Planet Asia, Murs, Tash and ofcourse Bishop Lamont.
How you can mention 7 west coast artists who are either releasing trash, or nothing at all, and the name DJ Quik doesn't even cross your mind, is beyond me.

The first record I ever bought with my own $$$ was Naughty By Nature's single OPP.
Come on man... you honestly bought a NBN single as a 7-year-old kid living in Brisbane? You honestly knew about and were looking for Peter Gunz & Lord Tariq as a 10-year-old living in Brisbane? Our radio stations don't even play goddamn Nas, and our music video shows don't even play goddamn Jay-Z, and hip hop at the moment is 10 times more popular here than it's ever been.

Whatever - i don't even know why i care. At least you mentioned Easy Mo Bee.

* I constantly flip between commericial rap and strictly underground hip hop every 3 - 6 month period as i get bored of either scene
* I can RESPECT "pop" rappers such as 50 cent ja rule etc for the money they make
* i wouldn't want my kids to listen to hip hop at the age i started (11)
* How did last emperor never blow up??
* Murs is a great rapper
* Wu tang need to get back together soon, hip hop needs them, and iron flag gets better with every listen its crazy underrated
* Immortal technique is overated and his politics are 99% bullshit

peace

linx

Staff member
Franchise2003 said:
* i wouldn't want my kids to listen to hip hop at the age i started (11)
* Wu tang need to get back together soon, hip hop needs them, and iron flag gets better with every listen its crazy underrated

What kind of shit did you listen to at that age? I'm glad I started listenin to hip hop at a young age. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't of matured as a listener so quick. I know if I have kids, I would love for them to listen to hip hop music.

WTF @ the Wu-Tang comment. You think Iron Flag is crazy underrated? lol. That's easily their worst album and it's not very good. This coming from one of the biggest Wu fans you'll meet.

7 Syns

aloivas said:
I remember you used to big this album up whenever you got the chance. And i could've sworn you've made multiple threads proclaiming it as one of the greatest of all time..
it's a dope album off lyrics alone, I can say that without even the slightest glitch. However Ive always said the beats were mediocore. Do a search man.

aloivas said:
you can mention 7 west coast artists who are either releasing trash, or nothing at all, and the name DJ Quik doesn't even cross your mind, is beyond me..
trash. In your opinion. Opinion, when the fuck will you dude's learn about that word and its meaning? Like yours and roaches are the only ones that matter? Don't make me and the board laugh please..

aloivas said:
Come on man... you honestly bought a NBN single as a 7-year-old kid living in Brisbane? You honestly knew about and were looking for Peter Gunz & Lord Tariq as a 10-year-old living in Brisbane? Our radio stations don't even play goddamn Nas, and our music video shows don't even play goddamn Jay-Z, and hip hop at the moment is 10 times more popular here than it's ever been.
Whats your exact point here besides you not believing me? I honestly did buy those records, just because a radio station/s doesn't play hip-hop it doesn't mean anything. Ive grown up around older cousins who were right into it, so it's always just been here. Hence why I knew about NBN & Red at that age. hence why im a big old school fan. hence why this reply is worth the shit hanging from a sheeps ass. I love how you just came all guns blazing though trying to discredit me man. Big up!. [/QUOTE]

Next time, either put something worthwhile into a thread or don't reply with anything at all.

peace.

trash. In your opinion. Opinion, when the fuck will you dude's learn about that word and its meaning? Like yours and roaches are the only ones that matter? Don't make me and the board laugh please..
When the fuck will you dudes learn that just because someone doesn't put the words "IN MY OPINION" at the end of a statement, doesn't mean they're trying to represent the whole board's views.

Let's make a general rule so this issue never arises again - if you see a statement written by aloivas, it's obviously his opinion. if you see a statement written by 7 Syns, it's obviously his opinion. Even if "IMO" isn't stated anywhere, it's safe to assume if someone types something, it's their opinion. OK?

My bad on the other shit. I still don't believe you, but i don't care either.

Great thread discussing the finer points of real hip hop... hopefully it can be sustained in spite of the age old problem of opinion, which, as demonstrated here, is usually followed by a slump in quality. Just let real recognize real.

its linx! said:
* Pun was alot better than Biggie. If you match up their albums, I think Biggie has the slight edge cause Yeaaah Baby wasn't so great. As emcees though, Pun was better and alot more of a complete emcee.

* Black Thought AND Az are probably up there with the best lyricsist of all time.

* Little Brother is one of the best groups around right now. I know alot of people will probably disagree, but it's just what I think. 9th Wonder's great production and the nice chemistry of Tay and Pooh is great. I've been a fan of LB (basically Justus League as a whole) for a while, but their latest release "The Minstrel Show" just made me alot more of a fan. Didn't think it was possible.

* I used to be a big Jedi Mind Tricks fan and although I still enjoy their music, I don't know why I liked them so much before. I wasn't obsessed with them or anything, but they were one of my favorite groups (maybe even THE favorite) at one time.
word...
*i always said Pun is a better emcee than Biggie, but ALOT of ppl disagree (mostly ppl that think "still not a player" is the only pun song out there).
*I think Black Thought is dope as hell, i dont understand why he doesnt get the recognition he deserves, I can easily say he's one of the most consistent lyricist out there, everytime hes on a track, ur almost guaranteed to hear a dope verse. I completely agree that he is up their with the greats.
*AZ is dope, but personally i dont think hes up their with the best. But honestly i havent listened to all of his albums front to back yet
*Minstrel Show is the first little brother album i heard, but it is tight
*JMT, comes and goes at times, i'll be bumping pure JMT's CD's, at other times, they go months without leaving my room

my own additions...
*Tragedy Khadafi and Mega need to drop an album together
*Shyheim was better when he was young
*Akir is a better emcee than Immortal Technique
*I usually cant stand "femcee's" but Jean Grae's got skills
*Solo members of Wu should've never looked past Rza for production
*Kanye's new album is pretty lame
*Royce Da '59 is dope, he just needs to get focused
*Eazy E is classic and i love his music, but he gets way too much credit from some ppl

its linx! said:
What kind of shit did you listen to at that age? I'm glad I started listenin to hip hop at a young age. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't of matured as a listener so quick. I know if I have kids, I would love for them to listen to hip hop music.

WTF @ the Wu-Tang comment. You think Iron Flag is crazy underrated? lol. That's easily their worst album and it's not very good. This coming from one of the biggest Wu fans you'll meet.
started with tupac, nas and bizzarly grave diggaz

iron flag is the perfect length (no homo) and has some great beats (rules, the hood) and great verses IMO

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.