Snoop's Football League Sparks Controversy

Dave D

Snoop Dogg's new youth football league is a hot item in Southern California. Two years ago, Snoop began coaching his son's team in the Orange County Junior All-American Football Conference, luring children from other squads with his star power. Players watched game video inside a school bus equipped with DVD players, TV screens and a booming sound system.
The rapper and sometime actor also made personal phone calls to draw in top talent, and last year his Rowland Raiders went undefeated en route to a league championship. They also went on to win the "Snooperbowl," held a day before the Super Bowl, and took home custom-made trophies donated by Tiffany & Co. for their effort.

Snoop, whose real name is Calvin Broadus, is taking things to the next level this year, creating his own Southern California league. He lowered fees for joining a team from $175 or more to $100, which covers the cost of cleats and pads. He also loosened residency requirements.

Children and some coaches have flocked to the eight-chapter Snoop Youth Football League, leaving supporters of old leagues dejected and wondering whether they were used.

"I'm mad at Coach Snoop," said 10-year-old Xavier Bernal, a player for the Rowland Raiders. "He was so cool; he told me to play my heart out and to play everything I've got. But now I just want to ask him, why did he take all our players?"

Nevertheless, a movie documenting the effort, and titled "Coach Snoop," is reported to be in the works. "It's so easy for a kid to join a gang, to do drugs," Snoop said. "We should make it that easy to be involved in football and academics."

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.