Slim Shady vs. Eminem

FroDawgg

Before I get to the point of this thread, just thought I'd mention that the night I bought "Relapse", I had a dream that Slim Shady killed Eminem. No joke.

Anyway, everyone knows that Marshall Mathers has two different personas on the mic: Slim and Eminem. Slim is the crazy MFer, while Em tends to be more serious and deal with issues. A lot of people argue that he's more creative as Slim, has a better flow, etc. I personally--while I enjoy his material as Slim (even though it highly disturbs me)--prefer Eminem and hope that "Relapse 2" focuses more on that side.

So, I was thinking, we should come up with a list of tracks categorized into each persona. Obviously, some could go either way (*) and might cause debate, but some are really clear cut. I am going to start with his solo albums (not his first two underground), his D12 albums, and some guest appearances, so if you would like to add and/or move a song to the other list, feel free to do so.

Slim Shady
My Name Is...
Guilty Conscience
Brain Damage
'97 Bonnie & Clyde
Role Model
My Fault
Cum on Everybody
Just Don't Give a Fuck
As the World Turns
I'm Shady
Bad Meets Evil
Still Don't Give a Fuck
Kill You
Who Knew
The Real Slim Shady
Remember Me?
I'm Back
Drug Ballad
Amityville
Bitch Please II
Kim
Under the Influence
Criminal
The Kids
Business*
Square Dance*
Soldier
Drips
Without Me
Superman
When the Music Stops*
Say What You Say*
My Dad's Gone Crazy
Evil Deeds
Puke
My First Single
Rain Man
Big Weenie
Just Lose It
Ass Like That
Crazy in Love
One Shot 2 Shot
Love You More
Ricky Ticky Toc
Fack
Shake That
3 a.m.
My Mom
Insane
Bagpipes from Baghdad
Hello
Same Song & Dance
We Made You
Medicine Ball
Stay Wide Awake
Old Time's Sake
Must Be the Ganja
Crack a Bottle
Underground
Shit Can Happen
Pistol Pistol
Ain't Nuttin' But Music
American Psycho
Purple Pills
Blow My Buzz
Devil's Night
Girls*
Shit on You
Quitter
I Remember*
Git Up
My Band
Get My Gun
Bitch
40 Oz.
American Psycho II
Keep Talkin
Rap Game
Love You
Bad Influence
Any Man
Forgot About Dre
What's the Difference
Dead Wrong
Get You Mad

Eminem
If I Had
Rock Bottom
Stan
The Way I Am
Marshall Mathers
White America
Say Goodbye Hollywood
Sing for the Moment
Hailie's Song
'Till I Collapse
Never Enough
Yellow Brick Road
Like Toy Soldiers
Mosh
Spend Some Time
Mockingbird
Encore
We as Americans
We're Back
The Re-Up
You Don't Know
Jimmy Crack Corn*
Public Enemy #1
No Apologies
Deja Vu
Beautiful
Fight Music
Revelation
6 in the Morning
How Come
8 Mile
Lose Yourself
Rabbit Run
Stimulate
Renegade
The Sauce
One Day at a Time
Patiently Waiting*
Don't Push Me*
Lean Back (Remix)
Touchdown
Don't Approach Me
It Has Been Said

THEV1LL4N

i'd say some of those encore ones would be classed as eminem rather than slim shady.

wasnt slim shady meant to be his depressed split personality with suicidal thoughts and motives etc?

for those reasons, i wouldnt really class songs like rain man and just lose it as slim shady.

FroDawgg

^^^the way i look at it, any track where he's just fuckin crazy and saying nonsense or insane stuff would be slim, but i guess it's all how you look at it.

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
Wasn't the Slim Shady persona supposed to be dead? Wasn't it the outro of Encore? ... or was it Eminem show... where you hear him shoot himself? ...

It would explain Relapse's last song, Underground, hence he's buried, but in the beginning of the track he says...

"Dre I'm down here, under the ground, dig me up.
Broken tibias, fibias, yeah fix me up"

Hence the return of Shady.

THEV1LL4N

Wasn't the Slim Shady persona supposed to be dead? Wasn't it the outro of Encore? ... or was it Eminem show... where you hear him shoot himself? ...

It would explain Relapse's last song, Underground, hence he's buried, but in the beginning of the track he says...

"Dre I'm down here, under the ground, dig me up.
Broken tibias, fibias, yeah fix me up"

Hence the return of Shady.
possibly... only one way to find out, through his future music (maybe on relapse 2).

also i was meant to summarise my first post saying everyone probably has a different point of view on what they would class as eminem's different styles. personally, i just class it as "back in his slim shady days" or "marshall mathers days", in accordance to the time he dropped his albums since his style had switched and eveolved near enough to every album he released.

Shadows

I Like Eminem music more than Slim Shady.

Slim Shady has some dope tracks, but nothing like "The Way I Am," "Till I collapse," "Lose Yourself." etc...

_carmi

me, myself & us
I'd say Slim Shady is the crazy, controversial persona. It's meant to shock, offend people. It's also his more humorist side. Eminem is more about delivering a message, meaningful songs.

And Flipmo I think it was the outro of Encore in which the Slim Shady gets killed. But I feel Eminem cannot live without Slim Shady and the other around. You'll never have an album 100% Eminem, or 100% Slim Shady. Eminem needs Slim Shady to shock, to play, and Slim Shady needs Eminem to bring him back down to earth.

kastro

i agree with what carmi said, you need the both of them to keep things balanced as i love both persona's of em and slim and the topics they rap about

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
Kastro, get a youtube to MP3 converter/downloader.

Just write that on google, there are free programs to download the track directly from youtube.

masta247

Staff member
Hellbound is one of my favorite Eminem tracks. It was on various Eminem b-side albums as well as Masta ace's album. It was also on some soundtrack from what I remember. Maybe Scary movie?

it is clever of eminem to have different personas in his music, the media can criticize him as a person for all they want to, but the media cannot criticize a character, something fictional to which he created himself

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.