Since we love Ten Years Ago threads

roaches

This post was inspired by GhettoStar's thread.

There's a lot of revisionist history going on in the hip-hop community lately, and a lot of it centers around albums from, appropriately, 10 years ago.

Ever since The Blueprint dropped people have been fronting like Reasonable Doubt was a classic and they've always loved it.

The hip-hop press and Nas's core audience at the time trashed It Was Written when it dropped, called him a sellout, etc., and now they're acting like they think it was better than Illmatic, they loved it when it dropped, etc.

Ever since Bun B began raising the flag as high as possible, people have been fronting like they loved Ridin' Dirty.

It goes on. People act like they know more than three songs off of The Score, that ATCQ's fourth album wasn't wack, etc.

Shit's not cool.

Everyone who is a hip-hop fans knows the story of Nas "saleing out" with it was written(which isn't better then Illmatic but 9 songs compared to 14 makes it easier to not have any flawed songs)...I never thought that for a second really (although I could see how people would think that). Reasonable Doubt was seen as a classic to some back then espcially when Vol. 1 drop (Jigga's saleing out CD), it's hard to say but thats the times, people grow up or start to conform that simple.Although some of the best CD's were produced (in my thoughts) during 94-96 (in terms of the amount of good material.

roaches said:
This post was inspired by GhettoStar's thread.

There's a lot of revisionist history going on in the hip-hop community lately, and a lot of it centers around albums from, appropriately, 10 years ago.

Ever since The Blueprint dropped people have been fronting like Reasonable Doubt was a classic and they've always loved it.

The hip-hop press and Nas's core audience at the time trashed It Was Written when it dropped, called him a sellout, etc., and now they're acting like they think it was better than Illmatic, they loved it when it dropped, etc.

Ever since Bun B began raising the flag as high as possible, people have been fronting like they loved Ridin' Dirty.

It goes on. People act like they know more than three songs off of The Score, that ATCQ's fourth album wasn't wack, etc.

Shit's not cool.

im gonna have to agree with what u said ......... but not just for hip hop but life in general. This sorta shit happens all the time, like they say hindsight is 20/20, i might love something now and 5 years down the road ill hate it just like id HATE somethings now and 5 years down the road ill be listening to that same shit and loving it.

Thats the way people are in general so i cant really say its wrong peoples minds change, opinions change, etc etc.

Thats life i guess.

jbrolax

unfortunatly, i missed out on everything good that happened in hip hop... i was one of them pac only people u can find in life. first heard illmatic through and through 2 years ago. IM SORRY

7 Syns

Tribe's 4th album? Beats, Rhymes & Life? Man I love that album, whoever think it's wack needs their ears checked. Its obviously not superior to their first 3 efforts, but to say it's wack is crazy man. You're crazy man.

what?

peace.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Reasonable Doubt - Never liked JZ, Never liked Reasonable Doubt.

It was Written - I'll take an Illmatic everyday.

I like more than 3 songs of The Score, but you make a good point there's a lot of weird shit on that album. It isn't a classic.

Ridin Dirty is good, but I prefer Super Tight.

ARon

Or maybe a lot of people are getting into artists they never heard of before and of course have to check out their older shit. But at the same time they might just have found Hip-Hop and are just now discovering classics, which is cool, I'm glad more people are bringing up these albums.

I have always liked It Was Written and when I first started posting on this forum and the internet period I was speechless that people thought it wasn't a great album. Still baffles me.

Out of curiousity. Do you like Wyclef singing No Woman No Cry, well his rendition kind of.

"Reasonable Doubt Classic should of went Double", or something like that. Why not?

UGK kind of has come up a lot as of late, and a lot of talk about Ridin Dirty has come up which is cool. I think a lot of people have just listened to it for the first time and thats cool.

But what are you trying to say? That this is bad or something? Or you're tired of the fronting, what?

roaches

You aren't understanding me. It's cool if people discover albums they didn't like before. I'm all for that. I personally do it all the time - there's an amazing wealth of hip-hop out there, and it's hard to properly appreciate it all the first time it comes around.

"Reasonable Doubt / Classic / Shoulda went triple"
That's Jay-Z saying that Reasonable Doubt was slept on. The result of that statement was not everyone saying, "Oh, yeah, Reasonable Doubt was a fine album, I'm a big fan of it now", but, "Yeah, Jay-Z's first album was the shit, I bumped it all the time back in '96", when that's just not fucking true.

It's sad and fake and has resulted in a world that spits on MC Breed and has given people a future in their fronting:

Example:
Tom Breihan is a little shit who has a column for the Village Voice called "Status Ain't Hood" where he pretends to be this huge hip-hop head who keeps it real. He wrote a review of the Roc-a-fella remix of the Wu's "Triumph". The first half of it was talking about how much the Wu used to kick ass, how great he thought the original "Triumph" was, and so on.

However, part of his review of the remake is wondering who the fuck "Rawkan".

Shit like this is the fruit of revisionism.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.