Shyne's lawsuit on hold

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
The judge involved in Def Jam emcee Shyne's ongoing battle against the Son of Sam law has removed himself from the case because of a conflict of interest. Judge Howard Ruditzky says his brother-in-law is associated with a lawyer on Shyne’s defense team from Dershowitz and Dershowitz.

The emcee may have to wait up to thirty days for the case to be reassigned to another judge. Shyne, who publicly declared himself a descendent of Ethiopian Jews and changed his name from Jamaal Michael Barrow to Moses Michael Leviy, is fighting for the right to have his mother collect some of the $500,000 advance from a five album deal he signed with Def Jam in 2004.

The Son of Sam law prevents convicts from profiting off anything authorities feel is related to their crime. 26 year old Leviy was in 2001 found guilty of two counts of assault, reckless endangerment and illegal gun possession, stemming from a 1999 club shooting, involving former employer Sean "Diddy" Combs and Jennifer Lopez. Combs was acquitted and Leviy was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

In 2005 Brooklyn Supreme Court Judge Michael Garson froze all profits from Leviy’s Def Jam debut, pending the outcome of civil cases against him. The defense argues that the Def Jam deal is in no way related to the club shooting, but attorneys for the victims feel Leviy is attempting to "circumvent the law for his own purposes."

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
AmerikazMost said:
I hope he gets it. I understand the law, but you must feel some compassion for his mother.
But as long as he doesn't mention the shooting he isn't cashing in of his crimes. They must surely see that he was a rapper before the incident, and after the incident. So how is he cashing in on his crime.

AmerikazMost

Pittsey said:
But as long as he doesn't mention the shooting he isn't cashing in of his crimes. They must surely see that he was a rapper before the incident, and after the incident. So how is he cashing in on his crime.
The prosecution could argue that publicity or "street cred" derived from the incident boosted his record sales.

It'll come down to hwo has the better lawyer and who the judge is.

Though I'd put my money on Shyne if he's got Dershowitz in his corner.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
AmerikazMost said:
The prosecution could argue that publicity or "street cred" derived from the incident boosted his record sales.

It'll come down to hwo has the better lawyer and who the judge is.

Though I'd put my money on Shyne if he's got Dershowitz in his corner.

Yeah. It's a bit lame though, that could apply to every career in the media spotlight. Should Joe Pesci be allowed to act in gangsta movies after his assault case. It sounds so stupid. lol

Hopefully, like you said, he'll win the case.

AmerikazMost

Pittsey said:
Yeah. It's a bit lame though, that could apply to every career in the media spotlight. Should Joe Pesci be allowed to act in gangsta movies after his assault case. It sounds so stupid. lol

Hopefully, like you said, he'll win the case.
Does it still apply to people who are no longer in prison/on probation/parole?

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.