Shyne changes name; hopes to unfreeze assets

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Shyne, a resident of New York’s Clinton Correctional Facility, is legally changing his name to Moses Michael Leviy after recently converting to Judaism, reports the New York Post.

The rapper, whose real name is Jamaal Michael Barrow, is now claiming that he is descended from Ethiopian Jews. He reportedly took out a classified ad in The Post to announce his new name.

In related news, the rapper, serving a decade in prison for a 1999 club shooting, plans on challenging a ruling that has frozen his assets, claiming his family is facing financial problems.

Under New York’s revised "Son of Sam Law" – which bars criminals from profiting from their crimes – Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Michael Garson ordered that any money the jailed rapper receives from royalties and record deals be held, until civil lawsuits filed against him by the victims are resolved.

The former Bad Boy recording artist hopes the judge will let his mother dip into a $500,000 advance from a five-album deal he signed with Island/Def Jam in March 2004. "He was the sole support of his family," said his attorney Oscar Michelen. "They’re in very difficult financial circumstances." Michelen also said that Shyne’s new record deal "is in no way related to the crime" and that "the law’s gone overboard."

Attorney Debra Reiser, who represents one of the victims of the 1999 shooting, disagreed. "Those funds are for the crime victims. That’s what the law says," Reiser said. "He’s trying to circumvent the law for his own purposes."

Shyne will not be eligible for parole until August 2009, and at the latest will be released from prison on March 12, 2011.

Mr.Deuce

Mr.Deuce Wigalow: Male E-Gigolo
What does that "levi(y)" mean?it has something to do witth jews.reggae-artists have dat kinda names
i remember readin dat is the 12th tribe of jerusalem or sumfin´..can some1 gimme more info?
lady levi
barrington Levy
Ijahman Levi

Prize Gotti said:
Victims? Last time i checked the only fool to get a hole from the shooting was the roof of the club.

The reason he got jailed for attemped murder is because one of his "stray" bullets caught a woman in the face. There may have been other victims, too, but that's the only one that I remember.

Lok

Deuce 7 Tha Psycho said:
What does that "levi(y)" mean?it has something to do witth jews.reggae-artists have dat kinda names
i remember readin dat is the 12th tribe of jerusalem or sumfin´..can some1 gimme more info?
lady levi
barrington Levy
Ijahman Levi
Levi is a jewis name. People can choose however they want to spell their name. Levi, Levy, leevi, whatever :/

marc said:
what a stupid move. i dont understand it. (edit: the name change)

all NEW MONEY COMING with the name change won't be frozen as jamal michael barrow commited that crime UNDER THAT NAME???????? i THINK this is allowable by law

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I see Shyne's point though.

He was a rapper before the crime, he is a rapper after. How is he directly profiting from his crime?? All he did was to sign a record deal.

He isn't a serial killer releasing a biography is he.

PuffnScruff

jflballer said:
The reason he got jailed for attemped murder is because one of his "stray" bullets caught a woman in the face. There may have been other victims, too, but that's the only one that I remember.
that stray bullet wasnt from his gun, it wasnt even the same caliber of the gun he had on him

Freedom Froggy

it wasnt even a stray bullet.. it was a bullet fragment that hit the chick

and there are alot blacks that have converted to judaism in recent yrs because of the same reason as far as believeing the ethiopian jews and black israelites.. i think prodigy is a black israelite. he has a chain with a medallian of the star of david i believe

jbrolax

marc said:
i am very sure you cannot convert to judaism. you can ONLY be seen as jewish if your parents are jewish.
what are u talkin about if you cant convert, there wouldnt be a religion

and i dont think hes gonna be rapping under his new name so whats the big deal, i bet most didnt know his real name anyway

yes levi is one of the 12 tribes of Israel, specifically the one who refused to worship the golden calf, its also a popular Jewish last name, so that combined with Moses, a Jewish prophet, and Michael from his original name...and I was in Israel this summer with a lotta Ethiopian Jews chances are he did prolly have some connection to some, if not, then theres no big deal about him converting, but its prolly true anyways

SMack

Deuce 7 Tha Psycho said:
lady levi
barrington Levy
Ijahman Levi
I cant believe you left out the UK garage sensation from the 90's, General Levy!! :laugh:

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.