Scarface Presents...The Product - One Hunid

Scarface & The Product: 100 Proof
Wednesday - February 08, 2006
Kevin Clark
With the South flooding the airwaves, it’s inconceivable to think that that trend may change soon. Snap, Trap, and Crunk music have all gone pop. But deep in the trenches, hidden beneath the glitz and glamour of multi-platinum sales and numerous appearances on Direct Effect and 106 & Park lies an awakening; a revelation of sorts.

The mixture of these three emcees from different regions across these United States has developed into a statement… a movement… a product of the streets environment. The Product consists of the Bay Area’s -- Willie Hen and Jacksonville, Mississippi’s -- Young Malice, and under the tutelage of one Brad Jordan a.k.a. Scarface the rap industry doesn’t know what to expect.

Why should it? Face prides himself on being a free man via his new label, “The Underground Railroad Movement” and in this interview with HHDX.com, the H-Town legend himself discusses why he wants himself and others to get free, why beefing in Hip-Hop is a gimmick, and why Gibson makes the best guitars.

The Product is here to produce results not through Soundscan but from the streets. Willie Hen and Young Malice have a lot of respect for the mentor and go into detail about it for the readers here at HHDX.com.

My first question for y’all is -- how did The Product come to be?

Hen: Man… Face remembered me from the pool hall! [Laughs] – Nah, what it was was Divine intervention and that is how the product came to be first and foremost.

Malice: The Product wasn’t anything that we planned on coming together. In the beginning, I was just working with Brad [Scarface] and we was just good at that. Our chemistry was visible through the music. Then Hen came and it was a wrap.

I read that there was an “elimination process” for this group. What did that consist of?

Malice: It was about certain ------ that was down, but didn’t want to work hard. Everyone was just evaluated in the studio. Sometimes we were up till 6… 7 o’clock at night, up at Brad’s house just working. ------ was sleeping in the studio. You know that they weren’t for the grind. Then you had those who were up putting in the work.

There were no MC battles or nothing like that?!

Scarface: The homies in NY be talking that battling shit. The people in NY are so serious about this Hip-Hop game that it doesn’t really faze them. They can get on the radio and say whatever they want and it doesn’t move them. The MC’s here, down south… outside of that NY shit, be taking it personal. The beef between cats in NY, they can talk about it on records and DVDs. Other ------ don’t be saying shit. A ma’fucka ain’t going to be saying shit like that. Because when the shit goes down, no one wants to be in that shit. I’ve seen it! Like that Mystikal and Yella Boi [of UNLV], he’s dead! I don’t know if that’s the way or the reason behind that shit, but that shit went down.

Hen: Everyone is right there in NY. Down South, you got different states, neighborhoods, and ------ that could be implemented. You never know what’s waiting on you. You never know who’s waiting on you. It’s really a personal thing down here. It could get real vicious. You got anyone from New Orleans, Houston, Florida -- everywhere.

Malice: Hip-Hop’s been around NY for so long that cats feel comfortable to start snapping on folks.

Scarface: To me… that stuff is like a gimmick. Not to talk about what other ------ do, but I think that shit’s a gimmick.

Face, Ludacris was the first artist you put out through Def Jam South, kind of giving him his shot in the mainstream game. What do you think The Product’s impact will be on the game?

Scarface: Luda gave himself his own shot. I’ve been in the studio twice with Luda. He does his shit. He did some mainstream shit. But he’s really lyrically inclined. He’s dope. He’s dope than a ma’fucka. So he gave himself his shot. I’m honored to be able to be in the presence of someone who’s cold like that and don’t need no help. The Product is just like that, but they’re not mainstream ------. They’re just like what it is. Them ------ is just raw, unpolished piece of coal that you can mold into a diamond.

Willie Hen, you’re from the Bay and Malice, you’re from Mississippi – what is the vibe that you two have?

Hen: We got that street ----- vibe… that real recognizes real vibe. He [Malice] done came out to the Bay and hung out with me and I’ve done the same with him. There’s a whole gang of dread-headed, gold teeth thugs with guns out in the Bay; and it’s the same out there in Mississippi. I’m going to be representing the playas, pimps, and hustlers that have been seeing me out there in the streets. Malice is going to be representing the people that seen him in the streets. The ------ that’s going to understand us are the people who have sold drugs, pop guns, who need to hear this shit the most.

Collectively, what are the favorite joints from this album entitled, “One Hunnid”…?

Malice: I love all of em’.

Scarface: My favorite song is called Pride. I was watching Hawaii Five-O and I made a hard ass beat. They wrote some hard ass shit to it.

Malice: I remember when he played that beat for me and I was like it was an instant classic. When we laid it all down, it was just what it was. We weren’t even writing off each other. The song as a whole was live. Face is a workaholic. He stays in the studio, grinding, just putting in work.

In media-savvy Hip-Hop, how do you plan to set yourselves apart from the other groups that are flooding the airwaves?

Scarface: I ain’t tripping, man. This isn’t any type of disrespect to no one but – I ain’t got no gimmicks. I ain’t (about) to go out there and do a ma’fuckin thing that don’t need to be done to get some attention on me! This is really hood! This is really hood! I don’t have no problems with making sure ------ getting what they need to get; the less attention on me, the better. I’m really, really, real with that shit. If I got a problem with someone I ain’t going to say shit. But I will say this… I’m everywhere.

Face, you’ve been in the game in the middle and although Hen and Malice aren’t relative newcomers was there anything that they didn’t know that you had to get them acclimated to?

Malice: Dude just gave me guidance and calmed me down, you know what I’m saying?! You need a cat like Face to calm me down so that we could see the bigger picture. Hen and I are seeing things bigger. It’s much more bigger than just the music. I mean you can get a group that don’t like no one in it and the music will go to shit. The love that we have can definitely be found within the music.

Hen: He [Face] gave me advice about being on the road. About getting home safe. I wanted to kick it tough when I with Malice in Mississippi, but I had to get home and be with my family. That was important right there.

Scarface: I mean what’s the point of staying out if you already got what you came for? You do your show and make your money and be out. Ain’t no use in kickin’ it with a -----. For what?! Get your money, man, and get home safe to your family.

The company is called “The Underground Railroad Movement” – can you give a little back story as to how that came to be and what y’all represent?

Scarface: I can’t speak for the others, but, what I represent is that I am a runaway slave. I’ve been under the slave master’s whip. I consider the big major companies the slave master and the people that work for them are slaves. I feel that 90% of the artists in this game are slaves. You go to these plantations and you serve 8, 9, 10 years of your career for this ma’fucka and he got 30 times more than you do and own all your shit. The same story when they took people from Africa; have the slave do everything and not pay anything. The record company gets all they can from the jump and then drop you for nothing. With me… I’m freeing the slaves. Let’s do an album together, let’s get some money. And at the end of the day if you want to do it again, we can do that. If not, we can just move forward. All I want to do really is just make some great music and build some careers. I ain’t trying to take all they shit. I had got a dumb ass offer from a major record label and I looked at them like they were out of they minds. I ain’t trying to enslave myself no more! With the Def Jam situation, I make money with them, but they’re some slave masters too! Kevin Lyles is a bitch! He’s a big fat pussy! You can print this. You can see where all that power is coming from now with Tina Davis. She’s a bad bitch. She’s the woman behind Chris Brown and he’s the next Michael Jackson.

So, then with these record companies doing the artist grimy – is there anything that the Hip-Hop community can do to enforce a real live movement?

Scarface: There’s nothing that nobody can do until we all can get into the position to start governing ourselves to the point where we have our own shit. All that talking and marching, shit… I ain’t going to hold no rallies or nothing. If a ma’fucka wants to crack this shit open, then I’m ready to die. I’d be willing to go that far just to know that my children’s children won’t be no slave.

A longstanding thought has been that the corporations run Hip-Hop. From commercials to plugging products in songs, the white-owned companies seemingly have a stranglehold around the necks of a lot of emcees. My question is – Is there anything that can be done to change that? Or are we lost as a Hip-Hop community and generation?

Scarface: Shit… hit The Underground Railroad. Definitely, align yourself with a no-nonsense -----. Go independent. I ain’t going to let nobody around me or myself to get fucked. And that’s real.

Is there anything next after this album drops?

Scarface: Hopefully, The Product will be able to go out on tour soon. The album comes out on February 21st, 2006. I’m working on the new album called “Made”. That should be out sometime in June. Also, I’m traveling with my band [laughs]. We cover the majority of the songs that I’ve done.

Malice: It don’t sound like anything else that I’ve ever heard.

Scarface: I play guitar. It really fucks the crowd up. No one really knows that.

Why is Gibson the best guitar?

Scarface: Man, Gibson is the best guitar because they got that thick, thick wood.

Malice: They [Gibson] is gonna give you an endorsement deal for saying that. [Laughs]

Lastly, is there anything that you want to say to your fans and the HHDX.com community?

Scarface: I appreciate all y’all reading. You know they say the best way to keep anything from a ----- is to put it in writing. I consider the fans, more than that. I consider them my partners, my homies, and I appreciate them for being down with me. To let everyone know… I stand behind The Product – 100%. I’m your favorite rapper’s, favorite rapper [laughs]. I ain’t a great ass rapper, but I’m a real ass -----.

Malice: I appreciate what Face did because he didn’t have to do it. He didn’t have to take the time out and help us put together what we put together. I thank dude first and foremost. I thank Hen for being a patient brother and helped make this thing possible. This is like an accumulation of all the shit that we’ve been going through and this [the record] is our chance to talk about. This is going to be an album that is relevant to your life.

Hen: The Product is what the world’s been missing. If y’all like the two singles that are out now, you’re going to enjoy the whole album – straight through. Shouts out to the whole Bay area, H-Town, Jacksonville... keep holding it down. Support the whole movement… we on our way.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.