Saw GZA live this past Saturday

AmerikazMost

GZA performed live with DJ Muggs of Cypress Hill this past Saturday at Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC. Kazi, a local rapper, was the first opening act and he killed it. He opened up for Common too, but I was even more impressed this weekend with him. Self Scientific was the next act, and he had some hot production, but I wasn't feeling him too much. Maybe because he was out there for too long and I just wanted the Genius to get out there. Then Muggs came out and starting playing some of his biggest hits ("How I Could Just Kill a Man," "Hands on the Pump," "Insane in the Brain," "House of Pain," etc.). You could immediately start to smell the weed in the air.

Then GZA opened up with his verse from "Reunited." To be honest though, it seemed like he was half-assing it through his first few songs. Some dude from the crowd actually called him out on it, and GZA looked at him and said, "It's all good." After that, he turned it into one of the best shows I'd seen.

He cut the beat off for a few of his songs. He wanted to make sure that we heard his words. He did a tribute to Ol' Dirty, made a Cuban Links reference, and did his and Inspectah's verses from "Triumph." He also discussed the meaning of "Wu-Tang." First, he said that his tongue is a double-edged sowrd. The "Wu" is the sound of that sword as it swings through the air. The "Tang" is the sound of the sword as it hits your neck, so you "best protect that shit."

Would've done this earlier, but I've been busy. Apologies.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.