Russell Simmons and Blood Diamond director have words

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Russell Simmons is speaking out against recent comments made from filmmaker Ed Zwick, the director of Warner Bros’ new film Blood Diamond.

Zwick questioned Simmons’ positive reviews of the diamond industries following his recent fact-finding mission to South Africa and Botswana for his Simmons Jewelry Company. In a press conference held in New York after the trip, Simmons announced that the diamond business has done much to improve the lives of poor residents in the region.

Zwick said the rap mogul is nothing more than a public relations puppet for the diamond industry, and disagreed with Simmons’ findings that the sale of conflict diamonds (which are used to fund wars) has dropped to less than 1%, since the Kimberley Process was introduced in 2003 to prevent illegal diamond trafficking.

"I find it embarrassing for Russell Simmons," Zwick said. "That's a funky number. That number comes from diamonds that are mined in countries that are 'war-declared.' Conflict diamonds are also mined in countries where there is not a 'declared war.' If you want to know about conflict diamonds, you don't go to Botswana and South Africa. You go to Sierra Leone and Angola. … Russell Simmons is being embarrassed."

In response to Zwick’s comments, Simmons sources that Blood Diamond will ultimately hurt the diamond industry in Africa by scaring people away from purchasing legitimate diamonds.

"This is the arrogance of Warner Brothers pictures," Simmons siad. "They were selfish self-centered, greedy and hurtful to the indigenous people of Africa. This messaging should have been changed after Nelson Mandela and other African Presidents asked Warner Brothers to change it. Period. I am going to continue to focus on the positive that can come out of this dialogue and work to help empower black Africa.”

Simmons was referring to a letter written by South African President Nelson Mandela, reminding Warner Bros. that some African countries were relying on the stones to rebuild their war torn countries.

the jew is right, this doesnt help the africans from which country the diamonds are coming from at all, like my siera leone friends or angolese friends. their countries still are in declared or undeclared war. but then again i dont know of anything any jew has done so far for the population, especially the palestinian population. but then again why worry about simple stuff like that when you heve the US to back you up?

morall of the story, pointing fingers is easy, especially when you dont want to see your own faults.

masterblaster said:
the jew is right, this doesnt help the africans from which country the diamonds are coming from at all, like my siera leone friends or angolese friends. their countries still are in declared or undeclared war. but then again i dont know of anything any jew has done so far for the population, especially the palestinian population. but then again why worry about simple stuff like that when you heve the US to back you up?

morall of the story, pointing fingers is easy, especially when you dont want to see your own faults.
I think Simmons is a lying sac o shit but why are goin from Africa to Middle-East?

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.