Rikanatti (Shady Records producer) talks about his production, Cashis, Shady, more

Rikanatti is part of Cashis' management team Bogish Boy Management. But he's also signed to Shady Records as a producer. DaShadySpot got the chance to talk to him about Bogish Boy, Cashis, his production, Shady, and more.

What’s up, Rikanatti?

I'm good just workin hard comin with that classic material.

Ok. So, you’re Cashis’ manager, but you’re also signed to Shady Records as a producer, right?

Actually I'm apart of Ca$his management team Bogish Boy Management. And yes I'm signed to a 8 song deal with Shady. But after this new Loose Cannon album I will have placed many more than 8 tracks. So far I produced "Talkin All That" mixed by Eminem, "Everything Is Shady", "That Nigga A Gangsta" mixed by Eminem, "Just Like Me" mixed by Eminem and co-produced by Keno from Blocc Boyz (Thatz my production company) and I co-produced "Miss Jenkins" along with Eminem and Mike Alonsondo also mixed by Eminem.

Do you have any other artists under Bogish Boy Management?

Right now me and Ca$his are developing Supreme Lines, and Dj Arkane is under BBG management. We are looking for more artists but the focus right now is maken sure Ca$his blows up and that will open doors for everything else.

Please tell us a little more about who you are and where you are from.

I'm origanally from Chi Town. I luv Chicagp and I always will. I visit and yes I still stay in tha hood when I go to tha city. Most of my family is there but I moved to Cali and have been here ever since. I lived in Van Nuys and Sherman Oaks but mostly In OC. I went to school out there and got most of my swag from OC. Cashis lived mostly in 714 North County But I lived mostly in South County I rep that 949. I luv it here and I will always have a spot in OC. I'm all about gettin that guap. I am a self motivated person. I have a goal of being the best in this game and 1 day I will acheive my goal. I'm reppin BBG and Blocc Boyz to tha fullest. I fuccs with everyone who fuccs wit me. But if u got problems with tha BBG'z know I'm not fuccin with u. Loyalty is the most important thing. I pride myself on that. Cashis and Shady have given me an opportunity to support my family and I recognize that and respect it. I will never bite tha hand that feeds me. I try not to get mixed up in who likes who in tha industry. I keep it cool as long as u cool wit me and my brothers. Thats why me and Cashis have such a good chemistry together. He knows what I stand for. He is tha gangsta. I'm tha nice guy, I try to give people the benefit of tha doubt but that doesn't always work so I pack that 40 cal and I will ride 4 mine and 4 my loved 1's. Don’t get me wrong, I'm not lookin 4 problems, but I solve them with a quickness ya dig.

When did you first start producing?

I 1st started in 1998. I bought my 1st mpc and never looked bacc.
That's my favorite piece of equipment to work on. I will never stopp usin it. I fuccs with reason and other programs but I always use tha mpc.

What’s the process like when you make a beat? What do you start with?

It's different everytime. I always start with a blunt. Not because I have to have it to make a tracc but because it mentally relaxes me and I hear music differently after tha blunt. If I'm sampling I will sample maybe 5 to 10 records and go thru each of them till I find tha 1 I wanna start with. I never just do 1 beat at a time. I work on 5 or 10 at a time. I don't turn my mpc off for weeks at a time. Then I go bacc and listen to what I have and if I like it after 2 days it's a keeper if not I erase it and re-sample later on. If u give it time u will always hear things differently. If it's an original beat, 9 times outta 10 I start with the melody 1st then I build tha drums around that. Then every once in a while I will start tha drums 1st just to get a different sound.

So, what got you into producing?

Cashis got me producing. I got him to start rappin in highschool. He was more into bangin and whoopin niggaz ass. I use to rap. I saw it as a easy way to get more hoes and I like clownin niggaz so rap is the perfect thing. We formed a group called tha Renegadez. We never had access to beats and I always used to beat box for Cashis when he freestyled so he was like fucc it make beats. We went to his cousins studio in pasadena and I made my 1st beat. He always had a strong belief in me even before I did. I always believed in his ability to spit. He is 1 of tha coldest with tha pen but his freestyle game was unmatched. I used 2 bet my pink slip on my car all tha time against rappers.. Cashis never lost a battle.

What producers do you look up to today?

My favorites are Dr. Dre, Eminem and Jay Dilla. Those are the producers I look up 2. Dre is the most relevant producer of our time. His engineering skills surpass anyone elses and to me that's what puts him in a class of his own. Soniclly he can't b touched. Dre sets trends and is a perfectionist. Em has tha best drum patterns in tha game. He is super creative. Em is a spitter he knows what rappers want to spit to so it gives him an edge. To me he turns songs into pictures, he adds sound effects to beats that brings it to life. Jay Dilla was the best hands down with sampling. The way he chops samples is incredible. He had a swing to his beats. He gave birth to alot of producers. If u sample like I do and don't give it up to dilla ur a clown. It's important to know who started what trends. Dilla is to sampling what Dr Dre is to Gangsta Rap. I really fuccs with Hi-Teck, Jake 1, Rick Roc, Timberland, Neptunes and last but not least Sha Money.

Do you rap at all, or do you just stick to producing?

I use to rap. I was in a group called the Renegadez along with Cashis. I got plenty of songs online still. I was good enough to get offered a single deal with Cashis at Def Jam. The deal fell through but I atleast made it to that level. I'm focusing on producing right now. I wanna be the best. I make atleast 2 beats everyday. I got alot of material. But as far as rappin I still got it in me. I actually have gotten alot better. I'm around Cashis all day everyday. When ur around the best u pic up certain things. I will serve alot of rappers out there. But right now it's beats for me.

Being signed to Shady Records, you’re surrounded by many great producers. Do you learn a lot from each other?

I haven't worked with any producer from Shady except Em. I did work with Alchemist on the song "Poppin" but I produced that joint and him and Cashis rapped on it. It's not what producers tell you it's what they do in there music. Em has never sat down and said do this or do that in your beats. Ca$his submitts songs over my beats that he feels should go on his album to Em. I send the files over and Em does his thang to the beat. Em might add a different kik drum, or break downs or he will add sound effects he does what it takes to make tha record a hit. So thats how I learn and I apply that to my music. I've been blessed to be around greatness. Rick Roc gave me some of tha best advice yet."Do u always, it's good that ur music doesn't sound like anyone elses, it may take them a while to catch on to ur sound but thats how u change tha game". If producers like eminem, Rick Roc, Dj Muggz, Sha money XL, Jake 1, all think I'm a beast at the beats I believe them. If u go to Shadyltd.com Eminem pick a song that I produced with Ca$his to be tha main song on the site. It's not just about having support from anyone but from the right people. They have all made hits. I just hope to be on the level of those greats when its all said and done.

What projects are you producing at the moment?

Of course Cashis' Loose Cannon album and all of his mixtapes. But I been workin with Mitchy Slick, Roccett, Federation, Young De, Glasses Malone, Bishop Lamont, Problems, Supreme Lines, Konnect, Hot Rod, I just did that "Redlight" remix ft. Cashis, Mr Fab, Hot Rod, Dirty Blacc. I got some big records comin out soon. I'm just finalizen tha business on it. Trust me, ur gonna be shocked. I'm not gonna tell u who these songs are with just yet, but they are gonna be huge. I also work with alot of unsigned talent like Tarek and Luss, Krue, DK, Jihad, Ironik, Sub Consious, if I forgot u my bad I'm workin with so many cats right now. I try to stay busy.

Are you producing many tracks for Cashis’ upcoming debut album?

Oh yeah I think we are at about 6 right now. I think it could be more by the time its done. The records I have with Cashis for his new project are crazy!!! Hitsville usa. Think about this, all the mixtape records I have released weren't good enough to make tha album and I have some bangers out. There is alot of competition. I gotta compete with everyone who sends Ca$his beats; Em, Dre, Heatmakers, Sha Money, Jake 1 Rick Roc, Just Blaze etc. Ca$his is my brother and he would do anything I asked of him so I I never ask for musical favors. All the records that he has recorded over my beatz have been because he was really feelin tha music. He really believes in my talent so he always promotes me. Cashsi has recorded to atleast 300 of my beats. That should tell u somethin.

Some producers are using a lot of samples in their beats. What’s your view on this? To be a great producer, do you need to do everything from scratch?

I do everything. I think thats 1 thing that sets me apart from other producers. I never limit myself. The only criteria I have is that it's gotta be hot. I will never pass up maken a hot beat because it's a sample. I do south beats with chopped n screwed hooks, west coast beats I do everything. My favorite is maken original beats. I want artists to sample me. There's nothin like rollin a blunt and maken a all original track that bangs. That's what I'm known for. But it's always import to keep up with what's going on in tha game. Jay-Z brought bacc samplin with his American Gangster album. So u gotta give the people what they want.

What can we expect from you in the near future?

U can expect more bangin beats from me. I'm workin with Jake 1 right now. We are doin an exclusive 10 beat series with Cashis among others doin hooks on all tha tracks. I gotta production team Blocc Boys that I'm looking to expand. I got 2 producers right now Keno (co-produced "Just Like Me") and Basix he co-produced a joint with me for Cashis new Loose Cannon joint. I love to collaborate and make hits. If u wanna get down and do some work hit me rikantti@yahoo.com. I'm lookin 4 dope producers to work with. I wanna come with a different sound.

So you have no plans to make your own album a’la Timbaland?

Actually I just did my 1st verse inna minute yesterday. It's a joint for tha Audio Hustlaz mixtape hosted by Dj Skee. It's Young De, Cashis, Shotty Boy and myself. I been thinkin about comin with an album but it would have to be incredible. I'm not puttin myself out like dat unless I know it's gonna do numbers. I would have to work with writers it would be done right. I have never used writers in my previous work but a album in stores is a complete different story. If Dre, Timberland, Neptunes use writers I will to. Cashis writes crazy so I know he would lace me. But my focus right now is production. I wanna be 1 of the best at producing before I would even dream of releasin an album. The most ur gettin from me right now is a verse here or there. But I did write my verse for tha Audio Hustlaz. It's tight. Shout out to Young De and Cashis for lettin me hop tha tracc.

Tell us more about your team Blocc Boys. Are there any other producers on it yet?

Yeah Im workin with Ca$his, Basix, Keno and C Major. Ca$his is the writer of the Blocc Boys. Anytime I need hooks I go to him and he delivers everytime. He also pics his favorite songs for me to sample and gives his input on my beats aswell. Basix is 1 of tha best at finding samples. He has an incredible ear. That's very important. He makes some of the loops also and then I come in and play keys over it. Keno also has a great ear for samples but i mostly work with him on original beats. We all have different up bringings and we all grew up listening to different types of music so when we collab it's always dope. Those r like my brothers. C major is cashis and my engineer. He makes dope beats to. We have only done a couple beats together but expect more. We got a whole different style of beats. Plus his engineering plays a big part in the sound we create. I'm lookin for more producders. Get at me.

What plans do you have for the Blocc Boys in the future?

Maken more hits as a collective and individually. We are starting to get into scoring movings and tv shows. I'm workin with J Mc Coy right now. He is 13 years old and does records for Disney. He already got his 1st gold plaque. He has an up and coming tv show and I will be providing music for that.

Are there any artists that you would really like to work with some day?

Of course the good Doctor, I would luv to work with Em on his album, Jay-Z, Snoop, Naz, TI, Jeezy, alot of artists. I wanna work with everybody that's tight and thatz fuccin wit me. Get at me I got some fire. To be honest If I didn't fucc with any other artists from here on out I got Ca$his. He fuccs wit me all day everyday and he is my favortie artist so I don't really need nobody else. Im BBG, Blocc Boyz and Shady 4 eva.

Cool. Thanks for doing this interview with me. Do you have any last words for those who are reading this?

I'd like to thank Paul Rosenberg, Dart Parker, Ca$his, Em, Theo Sedlymyer and tha whole Shady family for puttin me in tha postion I'm in right now. Checc my MySpace.com - Bogish Boy Gangstaz - O.C., California - Rap / Hip Hop - www.myspace.com/ocrenegadez for updates and music that I produced. Also a big shout out to Kurupt, Rascoe, Jayo Felony for hoppin on tha "Gunz Clappin" song that got my 1st real big buzz. I was an up and coming producer and they gave me a shot. Go get that Loose Cannon 7/25, pick up tha Re-Up and County Hound they arer in stores and if u can't find them go to itunes. Fucc witcha boy Imma give u my personal email so hit me. rikanatti@yahoo.com If u need that fire I got it all day. Some people got more equipment than me, more access more placements, but they can't match my work ethic. PS. U download 5 different cashis mixtapes with original material from me on my MySpace.com - Bogish Boy Gangstaz - O.C., California - Rap / Hip Hop - www.myspace.com/ocrenegadez.

http://www.dashadyspot.com/interviews/rikanatti/

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.