Remember when rap wasn't so predictable?

7 Syns

rant?

How predictable is rap right now? same 10 producers, same subject matter, same flow, same album format..

Between 1987 to 1997 we saw a flourish of albums that took the chances of creativity think Aquemini, think Stress, think Bizarre Ride and then as far as mainstream rap went it totally stopped. Fell off the face of the earth, rappers started rapping the same lines over and over and over... crack, guns, bitches, money, ice and cars. I swear a Lil' Wayne album, a Cassidy album and a Game album are no different. Maybe a different phor or punchline here or there. WOW. When Mobb Deep dropped their sophomore effort The Infamous even though references to guns and so on had already been abused by the west, that album still sounded fresh, new, different.

And even though early 90's west coast albums had more or less the same subject matter they still managed to sound different. Now we got buzz on rappers like insert predictable rapper example #1 in Ya Boy, who if you strip them to their artistic essence have nothing to offer. I've heard his flow before, I've heard his rhymes before and I've heard his songs before. The problem lays that when I heard all that it wasn't coming from him.

Lil' Wayne, T.I. and the Game are the proclaimed top 3 but they as artists have little difference. Their albums are exactly the same. If aliens came to earth and wanted to know about rap right now you could damn well choose any album from the past 10 years because it's all the same shit. I used to ponder why Q-Tip, André, Kane and so on don't drop their raps anymore but today I figured it out. Why should they? If material they did a decade ago can still be more relevant to society in general then the shit we get now then why should they drop? What's the point? Rap has been stuck in the same standing point for 10 years now with no signs of it ever going forward again.

What makes me ponder is how fans of rap who actually know a bit little about the history of hip-hop can actually be entertained by all the shit we get. Just like food, I need to hear different things. You can't survive off big macs every day and you certainly can't survive off the same bang bang my chain so big it can be used to hook an oil tanker in, i sold 12 billion tonnes of crack last week. Gimme that new Jazzy Jeff, gimme that new Royce whatever.

Bring on Desire and The 7th Seal and i'm gone.

On a side note I suggest everyone go buy that QD3 dvd THE MC. It's a hell of a dope documentary about the rap game.

peac3.

The.Menace

Staff member
Rap has been stuck
I agree, but how in here doesn't. I mean, this after all is a 2Pac board, about a man that has been that more than 10 years, it's still my favorite, I still play more Pac than any other rapper. Of course that shows how great he was but also, to a certain extend, that just rarely something 'intersting' comes out (in my view)

ARon

Cant believe I'm about to use him as an example but someone who doesnt fit what you say at all and has come out in the past ten years(or so) and is pretty much the most successful artist during that period is Eminem. But of course he is just an example of someone who doesnt fit what you say so yeah.

Is this just another "mainstream rap sucks" rant or what? I partly agree with what you say but come on, how many times we gonna have to go through this. "Underground" is where its at.

Bringing up Mobb Deep was good though. Pretty much same subject matter as before but the sound was as like you said "sounded fresh, new, different", much like The Clipse with HHNF.

Games album has zero replay value. Listened to it for a few days and have not listened to it since. Sick of him talking about Dre and every other mother fucker he has ever touched hands with.

TI's last 2 albums where trash IMO. Let me add that i somewhat enjoyed his second album trap muzik. His last two albums where based on big hooks and then the song revolved around that. I would rather see the verses overshadow a hook.

Lil Wayne is different from the 2 though. Lil wayne is much more lyrical and you can tell loves doing rap songs. As a fan, while i might not cream myself with very track he releases he earns my respect, which neither Game or TI do. Been really feeling his cry out song lately.

I understand what ur getting at 7syns and im with ya. Shit is just getting to corny now. But the cornier it is and the longer it goes on the easier it is for me to act like it doesnt exsist. And the longer i can do that, the more hope i will have for the future.

i feel u on this thread, But I think there is some different shit coming out. Its just not being recognized the way it used to. See one thing we gotta notice is, that we look at the pioneers of rap, and go, oh that shit was original and fresh. but as time progresses ideas are being used, and now being recycled. I dont agree that people should be making carbon copies, but its allowed to have a healthy influence of artists u listened to growing up.

But now the problem is, the fans are buying into this crack, guns, bitches and money shit.. it sells. I cant be mad at an artist capitalizing on that oppurtunity. If fans wanna pay $9.99 for trash, then let em. As long as theirs a demand for BS the artists will bring it. If people start demanding innovative and creative music. Or just some honest music, we'll see it come up again.

Everyone has their own opinions on who's the best rapper and all tha so theirs no point in discussing it. But i do think theres alot of talent out there, getting absolutely no recognition, and thats what annoys me these days.

7 Syns

TI, Game and Wayne sound and flow nothing alike. Have you even heard their albums?
1 or 2 songs for the ladies, 2 or 3 club bangers, 4 or 5 crack/gangster tracks, 1 deep/introspective song.

yeah Ive heard their albums. dont get microphone flow and the flow of an album mixed up y'all because thats what you's are doing.

peac3.

Da_Funk

I agree with you man, I cannot bring myself to listen to new rap. I hear a song once and its already old. I find these days that both rock and hip hop(my two fav genres) are filled with one hit wonders and nothing else and its really agitating. Even the "old School" stuff i can hardly listen to these days, not because its bad but just because i've exhausted it by listening to it too much.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.