Rapping in Poetry 101?

SicC

Dying Breed
Staff member
One English professor uses an unconventional approach to teaching poetry in this hip-hop-infused world.

Yeats. Frost. Angelou. Mos Def. One of these may seem out of place, but Professor Derrick Fernando's Introduction to Poetry class takes a unique spin on the subject by adding a hip-hop intensive dimension to the traditional course requirements.

The course, according to Fernando, adequately analyzes a form of poetry often overlooked by the academic world.

"When I think of poetry, I don't just think of classical poetry like Shakespeare and Wordsworth," said Fernando. "I think also of anyone who expresses words in a creative way outside of prose."

Fernando's Introduction to Poetry class studies hip-hop from a literary standpoint. "In this class we're looking at what [the rappers] are trying to say and as works of art," Fernando said. "We look at these songs as works of art as opposed to works by an artist," he continued.

According to Fernando, he received little trouble in adding the hip-hop spin to the traditional Introduction to Poetry class.
"The English program is pretty cool; they allow you to pick your curriculum. As long as you consider it poetry, it can be covered in the course," said Fernando.

Fernando also mentioned hopes to include guest speakers into the course. "I want to bring in some of my friends' work," Fernando said. "One of my friends works within the hip-hop poetry realm in writing and I want to bring him in as a speaker."
Fernando also hopes to include LMU professors in his line of speakers.

"One person I want to bring in, who I have not talked to about it yet, is Professor Michael Datcher," said Fernando. "He is a poet and has had strong dealings within the hip-hop realm."

Students, meanwhile, are excited about the unique nature of this class.

"A couple of students have talked about the backgrounds of hip-hop and poetry and how [hip-hop] fits into poetry and the study of poetry," Fernando said.

"I'm really looking forward to what he does with the material," said freshman Tony Agosto.

Fernando believes the excitement that comes from the idea of hip-hop can allow students to more easily delve into the subject matter of poetry.

"I think [the class] makes [hip-hop] more accessible and makes classical poetry more accessible without being overbearing on one or the other," Fernando said.
Ultimately, Fernando himself displayed enthusiasm about the class and its future possibilities.

"I'm really excited to teach [the course]," Fernando said. "Even when I was an undergrad at LMU, I wanted a course like this. I'm really excited to learn based on different student's experiences. I hope to teach it again after this semester is over and have it be a normal class, like a hip-hop poetry class as opposed to an intro to poetry class."

Source-media.www.laloyolan.com

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.