Rappers/groups that break molds.

I have really been thinking about this topic for a few days now and it just keeps coming back into my mind. In fact, im typing a paper for school but i had to make this thread because I simply cannot stop thinking about it.

The title might be a little missleading so let me explain it more. I have been really thinking alot about UGK alot lately. Yes im obsessed, dont care. It is a known fact that UGK is from Port Author, Texas. The south is also home to Paul Wall, Slim Thug, Mike Jones, and a slew of other rappers i really dont care for. Why is it that UGK is so unbelievably great and these artists just really can't seem to touch them with a 94 foot thousand foot pole?

When I hear UGK songs, they are songs, full length songs with deep beats. Layers of goodness moving throughout my viens. Beats that make me bob my head for years. Classics upon classics. Pimp C, the man behind the majority of UGK beats is strictly on that live instrumentation production. Not many computer sounding beats coming from the Pimp. Guitars, organs, deep bass, smooth flowing gangsta shit, oh yeah and the constant hi hat. Now on to the lyrics. UGK lyrics hyptnotize me.

But how come i can listen to Pimp C talk about wood this, rims this, coca this, bitch suck my dick and slurp that shit etc etc etc (oh yeah cant forget "When she pop it from the back you see the hairy asshole"). And when i hear another rapper talk about these sorts of things i automatically think that they are a below par rapper. For some reason when i hear pimp rap i just think its raw, its pimp, its always been pimp. But when i hear others rap similar lyrics i think they are corn balls.

Basically, my whole point of making the thread is are YOU a fan of a group a rapper in particular that breaks the mold of your usual listening requirements??????

7 Syns

but ofcourse, I usually try to listen to various artists that aren't very similar to the previous artist I listened to.

for example, Jurassic 5 to Clipse to Pharoahe Monch to Juice.

also

Mr. Complex - Life Is So Complex
---------------------------
01-Mr. Complex -Intro (prod. Big Trap).mp3
02-Mr. Complex - Bomb Threats.mp3
03-Polyrhythm Addicts ft. Pharoahe Monch - Take Me Home.mp3
04-Mr. Complex ft. Pharoahe Monch - Scream Shout (prod. Big Trap).mp3
05-Mr. Complex ft. Dilated Peoples -No Brainer(Prod. Evidence).mp3
06-Mr. Complex - Take You Away.mp3
07-Mr. Complex - Desire.mp3
08-Mr. Complex ft. Biz Markie - Glue.mp3
09-Mr. Complex - Relax.mp3
10-Mr. Complex ft. Apani B Fly Emcee -Far Away.mp3
11-Mr. Complex - Why don't cha.mp3
12-Polyrhythm Addicts - seven stepz behind.mp3
13-Celph Titled ft. Kimani of The Masterminds & L- Fudge & Mr. Rictor & Mr. Complex - Forever.mp3
14-Mr. Complex ft.Vast Aire & Pear l- Calm Down.mp3
15-Mr. Complex - No Turning Back.mp3

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uf3z0e
Mirror link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VMY0K96P

peace.

lol yeah i would have to say that if other rappers rapped about some of the shit redman or eminem or tupac rapped about even if it's stuff that i think is dumb i still listen because they have a sort of charisma that attracks me unlike a lot of other rappers. i hope thats what you ment by your post.

... probably just Red n Meth... other than that I'm an underground hip hop fiend (atleast when speaking on the new shit, still love the classics by wu, nas, pac bone, etc)

... probably just Red n Meth... other than that I'm an underground hip hop fiend (atleast when speaking on the new shit, still love the classics by wu, nas, pac bone, etc)

I like Young Jeezy alot now.. And I really dont listen to many downsouth rappers.. but for some reason I'm feelin Jeezys shit.. And its funny cuz his lyrics are pretty elementary, but somehow he still gets his point across and holds my attention.

Preach

for a while, reading my post, you'll think i'm on something. just read on.

the whole gangsta thing with death row is just stupid. especially since parts of the reasons why dre left was that things were getting out of hand. dre doesn't want to live like a gangster, he wants to make money and live life. get high, buy shit, eat, record, whatever. i don't listen to old death row music because it's so real and raw, i listen to it because for one, it's something i've grown fond of over the years of listening to the music. secondly, once you understand the gimmick and are able to look past it, you appreciate the music on a different level. thirdly, it sounds fucking crisp. if death row was launched today, however, and "the chronic" was recorded today by a member of a very popular hiphop group that got dismantled recently (ala the whole scenario with how death row got off it's feet), neither would get anywhere probably.

you don't like the music because it's good, you liked it because it used to be good at the time it came out, and then the liking just stuck with you sorta :)

Preach

BIG NASTY said:
been listenin to juelz santana today alot. likin some of his shit :thumb:
i love dipset when i'm really fawking stoned, cause their beats are very dramatic and it's tight as hell. as far as individual members of the group goes, i wouldn't really say juelz santana blows me away as a lyricist. and if you can't compete in that category you sort of negate your purpose as a rapper.

anyway, dipset is okay. if anything, juelz is the one i like the most.

Chronic

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Lyrical content has nothing to do with the quality of a record, it is all about how it's brought. Just because it's a political song doesn't mean it's good and just because it's a song about money doesn't mean it's bad. Which is why Organized Konfusion can make 2 great songs about eating chicken and you can enjoy UGK's music despite their content.

Remove the giant stick of pretentiousness and snobbery from your ass and you'll find that you enjoy music a lot more.

To answer the topic and not just whine, I don't have listening requirements so I don't think I've ever had this.

Preach said:
if death row was launched today, however, and "the chronic" was recorded today by a member of a very popular hiphop group that got dismantled recently (ala the whole scenario with how death row got off it's feet), neither would get anywhere probably.
That wouldn't have anything to do with the record's quality though. But besides that it's impossible to say because of The Chronic's influence on rap. Had it not dropped today's rap scene would be different so how can you know what would or wouldn't be popular? You can say the same for Rakim... most people probably wouldn't care about him had he dropped in 2006 but he changed rap forever when he came out so again it's impossible to say, his influence was far too great.

And fuck nostalgia, The Chronic is one of rap's best records.

Preach

Chronic said:
That wouldn't have anything to do with the record's quality though. But besides that it's impossible to say because of The Chronic's influence on rap. Had it not dropped today's rap scene would be different so how can you know what would or wouldn't be popular? You can say the same for Rakim... most people probably wouldn't care about him had he dropped in 2006 but he changed rap forever when he came out so again it's impossible to say, his influence was far too great.
well maybe it was a stupid thing to say. the point i was basically trying to establish was what you said: that part of the reasons why you might love hiphop that isn't mindblowing by today's standards (and i know that's not an entirely accurate expression to use but you get what i mean) could be that it had an impact on the entire game when it dropped. or it had an impact on you personally when you first got into it, whatever really. just saying, if you thought i meant that what you said is wrong, that that wasn't what i was trying to say at all :)

Chronic said:
And fuck nostalgia, The Chronic is one of rap's best records.
:thumb:

Chronic said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Lyrical content has nothing to do with the quality of a record, it is all about how it's brought. Just because it's a political song doesn't mean it's good and just because it's a song about money doesn't mean it's bad. Which is why Organized Konfusion can make 2 great songs about eating chicken and you can enjoy UGK's music despite their content.

Remove the giant stick of pretentiousness and snobbery from your ass and you'll find that you enjoy music a lot more.
I second that 1st paragraph and laughed my ass off at the truth of the 2nd sentence with some people.

Young Jeezy, Cassidy and Juelz Santana have all been mentioned in a thread entitled "Rappers/groups that break molds".

*Throws computer across the room in annoyance*
*Wraps rubber band around cardboard at the pipe head*
*Inhales previously prepared brillo vapor*
*Relaxes*
*Attempts to find the 'on switch' for fifteen minutes*
*Turns computer on*
*Creates a thread named 'Worst albums ever made' and writes a 500 word thesis suggesting Illmatic is indirectly responsible for third world debt and famine due to it's sub par lyricism.*

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.