Raekwon Tells RZA: 'You Gonna Respect Me'

THEV1LL4N

The Streets Is Talking: News & Notes From The Underground Raekwon the Chef recommends that you go buy the Wu-Tang Clan's 8 Diagrams LP when it comes out Tuesday, but he can't honestly say it's the Clan's best work.

"I'm supporting it," he said backstage at the recent J.A.M. Awards, which took place at New York's Hammerstein Ballroom. "Go get it. I'm on it. I laid down the dressing on that. But like I said, it could've been stronger! I know the capabilities that we all have when we all sit in the room together. And then, at the end of the day, it was leaning towards RZA's world. I told RZA, 'This is a Wu-Tang Clan album. This ain't RZA's album.' If we say, 'We need this to proceed,' respect what we need to proceed.

"You dealing with a whole crew collectively, and collective thoughts," Rae added. "You gotta keep that a part of the protocol. That wasn't a part of the protocol — we still try to give this man as much props as he deserves, 'cause he did so much. It's like listening to Jordan, saying, 'Follow my hand.' But at the same time, Jordan ain't been around for a while. So now it's gotta be about the team. Ain't no I's in team. When Jordan's head gets too big, you gotta tell Jordan that's what it ain't about. It's team."

The Clan's dirty laundry has been aired out in recent weeks, with Rae and Ghostface Killah alleging creative and financial neglect by the RZA. The pair say they've basically been speaking for the rest of the group.

"It's a lot going on, and like I said, this is not no publicity stunt," Rae maintained. "This is more or less about men understanding men and men respecting men. At the end of the day, I got a family to feed, kid. ... I got children that's going to school that I'm paying for sh-- for them to make it, and I refuse to sit here and act like another n---a is gonna tell me how I need to do what I gotta do. If it ain't how it used to be, then something's the matter. So, at the end of the day, it's just a n---a's water broke. Like a b---h being pregnant, she can't take it no more, her sh-- go blow!"

The Chef told us he explained his discontent to the RZA a while ago.

"I let n---a know about his wicked ways before I out and this ," he said. "So n---a never say, 'Oh, Chef did it out the blue on some ...' N---a, you know how I feel. ... It's tough love, but you gonna respect me. ... I can on how I feel, and if I feel it ain't right ... like I told RZA, 'Yo, I don't get nothing outta trying to shoot at you. I hope you don't get nothing out of shooting at me.' But respect that we supposed to be like this. The ill sh-- is, it's 10 years later, 15 years later. You mean to tell me you don't look at me like a general? You got a problem."

The author of 1995's classic Only Built 4 Cuban Linx ... album says he's spearheading an LP called Shaolin vs. the Wu-Tang and that it will feature basically the entire Clan, except for the RZA.

"That's how I feel right now," Rae barked. "It's coming and it's gonna be a lesson learned. That's a lesson to bust the Abbott's ass and let him know what we do. At the end of the day, if nobody don't do nothing, Chef's gonna show and prove. You hold in but so much, my dude." ...

Source-MTV

Casey

Staff member
LOL at Rae trying to make a Wu album without RZA. That shit is gonna be straight wackness.

And he wouldn't be able to do that anyway, since RZA owns the Wu-Tang name and logo. Anytime it gets used on something, it has to be approved by RZA and he charges them to do it.

LOL at Rae trying to make a Wu album without RZA. That shit is gonna be straight wackness.

And he wouldn't be able to do that anyway, since RZA owns the Wu-Tang name and logo. Anytime it gets used on something, it has to be approved by RZA and he charges them to do it.
well RZA already said in an interview that he doesn't have a problem with Rae and them doing a separate album so they probably won't have a problem with that. and there are other talented producers in the Wu camp (Tru Master stands out in my mind) so your premature assumption that it's gonna be straight wackness may be a little off base.

it's not as though The RZA was the only thing that made the Wu good. yes he has been a dope producer, one of the best ever in the game, but that doesn't automatically mean that everything he does is going to be dope. the beats on 8 Diagrams don't hold a candle to 36 Chambers or OB4CL or even Wu-Tang Forever, and are far from RZA's best work imo. i know that i personally will check the abum if they do drop one.

Casey

Staff member
well RZA already said in an interview that he doesn't have a problem with Rae and them doing a separate album so they probably won't have a problem with that. and there are other talented producers in the Wu camp (Tru Master stands out in my mind) so your premature assumption that it's gonna be straight wackness may be a little off base.

it's not as though The RZA was the only thing that made the Wu good. yes he has been a dope producer, one of the best ever in the game, but that doesn't automatically mean that everything he does is going to be dope. the beats on 8 Diagrams don't hold a candle to 36 Chambers or OB4CL or even Wu-Tang Forever, and are far from RZA's best work imo. i know that i personally will check the abum if they do drop one.
All the other Wu-producers are sketchy at best.

I don't know if he produced it all himself, but if he did......Popa Wu is the dopest Wu-affiliate producer. Visions of the Tenth Chamber = easily the sickest Wu-affiliate album. Now that guy is fucking dope.

hizzle?

Staff member
"I let n---a know about his wicked ways before I out and this ," he said. "So n---a never say, 'Oh, Chef did it out the blue on some ...' N---a, you know how I feel. ... It's tough love, but you gonna respect me. ... I can on how I feel, and if I feel it ain't right ... like I told RZA, 'Yo, I don't get nothing outta trying to shoot at you. I hope you don't get nothing out of shooting at me.' But respect that we supposed to be like this. The ill sh-- is, it's 10 years later, 15 years later. You mean to tell me you don't look at me like a general? You got a problem."

Can't he talk properly... Subject-Verb-Complement HELLOOO?!

Preach

All the other Wu-producers are sketchy at best.

I don't know if he produced it all himself, but if he did......Popa Wu is the dopest Wu-affiliate producer. Visions of the Tenth Chamber = easily the sickest Wu-affiliate album. Now that guy is fucking dope.
mathmatics are tight as hell

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.