Q-Tip Post-1998 - Inventor of Adult Contemporary Hip-Hop?

7 Syns

Dope-ness!

I maybe the only dude who really feels Tip's ish post-1998 like that. For the fact however, no he hasn't made anything better or even close to his Tribe Days circa '92-97. He was that dude back then and personally he still is today. So I gathered some of unreleased ish post-1998 which Arista Records labeled "too strange and not commercial enough"....

3 years later Outkast or Andre 3000/Cee-Lo straight jacked Tip's newer style and sold what they sold. Not dissing those dudes ofcourse. They're legends in their own right but listen to this.

Kamal The Abstract (2002 Unreleased)
http://rapidshare.de/files/14656302/02_Kamaal_the_Abstract__2002_.rar

Live @ The Renaissance (2006 Unreleased)
http://rapidshare.com/files/9890882/_2006__Live_At_The_Renaissance-NIRO.rar

Open - The Abstract Innovations Mixtape (2004)**
http://datpiff.com/Q-Tip-Open-The-Mixtape-Abstract-Innovations-mid2633.html

**=this album is more or less Live @ The Renaissance with a few changes to tracklisting and a few added tracks on top.

Ill try to up some more ish later.

peac3.

Casey

Staff member
/\ lol. Dude straight up bit something I wrote. To be fair....he was featuring on a track by a famous dance duo and I'm inclined to think that they "wrote" or told him to do that part, but it's possible either way since both Tip and the dance duo had heard our last album through different sources. Anyway they ended up having a big hit with this song and we had a court case going on against them.

Ultimately it got to the point where there was so much back and forth that legal fees could have eclipsed any money made from it anyway.

It's certainly not the first time they've ripped off stuff without credit. I personally know a couple of other producers and DJ's that they have bitten. As well as a hip-hop legend (PSK....What does it mean??? ;) ) that they went as far as sampling his actual voice for the hook of a song.....and didn't credit him at all.

So fuck them, and fuck Tip for knowing about it being bitten but still doing it.

I still got love for Tribe though.

Casey

Staff member
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

o/t I heard Pac got the idea for the 7 day theory from swami mixtapes.
Laugh all you want, but this is true. We had a court case going on against him/the people who's track he was on. BBC Radio 1 reported the story and it was all over British-Asian media.

Anyway like I said....I'm more inclined to believe that he (Tip) went along with what they (the guys who's song it was) wanted him to do, especially as they are known biters.

So let me break it down a bit more.

The dudes who made the track decide they want to make a track with Asian/Arabic sounds. With me so far? Oh and these same dudes had asked my cousin to play guitar in their live lineup, and he had said no. (a few months beforehand).

So if you're a couple of white dudes in England that make dance music, what the hell do you know about Asian music? Nothing. So, like anyone would, they listen to the Asian show on Radio 1. At this time, our album is killing it on that show, and all the other Asian stations. 4 tracks at least in heavy rotation....as well as live versions we did for Radio 1 before, those are in rotation as well. One of these tracks has a concept that I came up with.

6 months or so later......the same Asian show on Radio 1 says, we got this new tune from [the dance guys] and it features Q-Tip on it. We're gonna play it cos supposedly it's very Asian and Arabic influenced.

The tune drops.....and the hook is based around what? Q-Tip chanting the EXACT SAME PHRASE in the same cadence, as our track that had been released over a year prior. After it's played , the DJ's are shocked. They said straight away....does this sound familiar? People were texting in and emailing in like crazy saying they'd ripped us off.

It ended up the next week with a poll asking which tune people liked better - which they won by a single vote. I thought that was pretty unfair given that they were number 1 at the time with this song and ours had been out for over a year.

Now, if it wasn't for the music being fully influenced by the scene and culture that I/we are a big part of, I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it. But that is too close for comfort.

All the royalties for the song were frozen for the best part of 6 months while the case was going on. By that time it was basically splitting hairs in the legal sense and it wasn't worth pursuing it any further. Oh, yeah, and before we entered into the legal situation, they had said in an interview that they were fans of ours and had all our albums.

If I was to make up a claim about someone jacking my shit.....Q-Tip would be very low down my list. What the hell would be the point of me making that up?

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.