Public Enemy...

Alright... so a few months back I finally bought a Public Enemy album, "Fear of a Black Planet". I figured since PE was so famous and known for thier political messages and what not, that I'd be real into them, you know? So I got the album, huge dissapointment, I didn't like it at all, listened through the whole thing once, was not feeling it at all, havn't listened to it again. So I couldn't really understand where all thier respect was coming from.

So today Best Buy was having a sale for PE "New Whirl Odor" for 6.99. I'm like, alright, why not, I'll cop it and give them another chance...

Again, big dissappointment, not quite as bad as FoaBP, but most definitly not going to be an album im going to listen to.

So... am I just listeneing to the wrong Public Enemy stuff, or are they just really not that good?

LMAO!!!@that pic

...alright man i'll lay it straight, Public Enemy are one of the best groups EVER....but to give you some perspective, yeah you probably are listening to the wrong albums to get you into them...personally i think u should go cop "Classic Universal Masters Collection" -its got most of their best joints....but heres some tracks to check out first before you buy any more albums:

#1 Public Enemy - By The Time I Get To Arizona( ...my fav song of all time!)
Public Enemy - Bring The Noise
Public Enemy - Do You Wanna Go Our Way (great song about the MP3 movement)
Public Enemy - Fight The Power
Public Enemy - Gotta Give The Peep
Public Enemy - Hard Rhymin'
Public Enemy - He Got Game
Public Enemy - Make it Hardcore.
Public Enemy - Mklvfkwr
Public Enemy - Rebel Without A Pause
Public Enemy - Revolverlution
Public Enemy - Son Of A Bus

theres many others....but thats a good mix of new+old stuff

Chronic

You listen to it once, then you make a thread saying you don't get where the respect comes from? Ok...

You don't like the sound of the production and you didn't listen to the lyrics properly (don't care who you are, no one can indulge the lyrics in one listen). You're listening to the right stuff, you just haven't listened to it properly yet.
Just know that if you can't see why they're so respected, it's you not the music.

Question, is your favorite 'political' rapper by any chance Immortal Technique?

TheCat

man please listen to it again,

Turst me you will grow to it.
i remember whan i was 13 i couldnt understand the hype at all, and by the time i was 16 i went and bought all their albums couldnt get enough of them...

i do not have the CHUCK D solo album though.. is that any good?
i got his book and is was a fantastic read. i liked what he said about Tupac, being a revolutionary. that tupac had a plan and he died before his time to show people what his true ambition was all about not the thuglife potray but a power movement.

rebirth of a nation mixed version in stores january 26th... there's a bootleg floating around already.. that's some hot shit! whole album mixed/produced by P-Dog aka Paris

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.