Producers Who Were/Are Ahead of Their Time...

All the time, you always hear someone say that a certain rapper was ahead of their time, but never a producer. Until now. Who are some producers who you think was/ or is innovative to the game.

'Ye West - I don't like dude at all, but I gotta admit, he has taken the production world by storm. Alot of people vocal sampled before, but not to the certain extent the Kanye has. I gotta give it to him.

Mannie Fresh - A very under-rated producer. Right now, he's a couple notches above average. But when Ca$h Money (and he) first hit, he was the best in the game - at the time. Just check out tracks like: "Niggaz in Trouble", "Millionaire's Dream", "Jungle", "Realized". There's sooo many more, but I don't feel like naming them. PM me and I'll try to hit you with a nice list.

Limn said:
How do you plan to say a producer was ahead of his/her time, when you're still living in their time?
Just as many said that Michael Jordan was ahead of his time in basketball. People were calling him the G.O.A.T. before he even retired. Someone is able to make that distinction when one realizes that a particular person is innovative to the field that that person participate's in.

K D

Dre deffinitly
Kanye - look at after blueprint came out how many ppl started sampling voices
timbaland - he brought something different to the game

Johnny J was the ..... wait no he wasnt

i would have 2 give it to DJ quik man ... he helped mix the whole All eyez on Me cd and every song he does still sounds goood no matter how old(production wise). Kanye is holdin it down right now. I like how he uses the samples i just wish his drums where harder. Scott Scorch is 1 of the best rite now just a lil repetative.

I dont kno if theres guys are ahead of their time but they r the best right now ..

CalcuoCuchicheo

Little Miss Vixen
I think RZA was ahead of his time in a way. Not just for that gritty sound (which few others have managed to replicate or improve on) but for his sampling of movies. He sampled movies so heavily - both with pieces of audio & by taking their themes & making music which paralleled them..

Dr. Dre is the producer that has dictated what was hot and not throughout his whole career as a producer thus far. Look at his days with N.W.A. He had a hard sound and it fit perfectly fit with the lyrics. BOOM, gangsta rap becomes huge with that type of production. Next, he comes with some "neo-classical" (he improved on the P-Funk shit without changing from it too much) type production where he uses high pitched noises over heavy bass lines throughout songs and BOOM, party songs talking about bitches, drugs, and money are all over the place. Next, he starts a really dark sounding type production that allows the MC to shine over the beat. BOOM, you've got guys like Scott Storch sounding almost exactly like him.

Crazy, huh?

MATW95 said:
Next, he comes with some "neo-classical" (he improved on the P-Funk shit without changing from it too much) type production where he uses high pitched noises over heavy bass lines throughout songs and BOOM, party songs talking about bitches, drugs, and money are all over the place.
It would be easier if you just said G-Funk.

MATW95 said:
Next, he starts a really dark sounding type production that allows the MC to shine over the beat. BOOM, you've got guys like Scott Storch sounding almost exactly like him.

Crazy, huh?
Not really since Storch did a bunch of shit for Dre's songs & so, who's to say who sounds like who?

But yeah, Dre has changed the game many times.....I think that's what your mumbo jumbo was getting at.

Sarr

Wishes he was on probation
Nashiem Myric. The dude was amazing, made crazy beats like "T.O.N.Y. (top of New York) by CNN...and heaps of crazy street tracks for badboy in the mid 90's

TCD

Kanye- because there are soo many people biting his style (although he was not the first to use samples he's the most succesful)

Timbaland- because nobody else sounds like him. His beats are just ridonkulously good. And he's been going strong for 10 years showing he has the legs.

Dr. Dre- If he's making your beats your sure to go x1 platinum.

71Outlaw71 said:
Dr. Dre
DJ Quik-- Most under rated rapper/producer of all time

i agree.

Them Neptunes should be on this list. Not my favourite producers or anything like that, but PROPS to these niggaz on trying new shit and making it work. 2 mill for a beat man? Thats gotta be talent.

UK_Thug

i cant believe no one has mentioned Pete Rock. he doesnt even need an explanation. his sampling, drums, everything was always way ahead of the rest yet fitted in with the time he was producing them, if you get what i mean

Butt Rubber

More arrogant than SicC
CalcuoCuchicheo said:
Can people give reasons?

It doesn't need to be detailed or nothing, just something brief that gives the rest of us something to think about.
go listen to what esham was doing in the early 90s and compare it to anything else coming out in the mid/late 90s

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.