Premo talks about Nas' new album.

Hip-hop fans will be most excited to hear the producer's take on records he's made for Nas' upcoming LP, Hip-Hop is Dead ... The N.

"Oh yeah," Premier said. "It's on and poppin'. We're just cutting tracks, cutting tracks, cutting tracks. Whatever works, we keep. Whatever don't work, we don't keep. That's always been our formula. It's real fun with Nas. Just like a day hanging out, but a good joint comes out of it. We ain't never did a dud. Every one's been a banger."

Premier says that fans will be pleased at the level of Nas' focus.

"Nas knows what he has to do," Premier explained. "He knows it's a lot of, 'He's older,' or '[Can he still] do it?' or 'That's not my generation.' He knows what he gotta do. I told him, 'If you don't know, let me know. I'll make sure you stay guided,' 'cause I really am a fan of his and I wanna buy a Nas album.

"We always switch up the formula," Premier added. "Guru [Premier's MCing partner in Gang Starr] used to say we update our formula. Nas played me some joints that Salaam Remi [produced]. Tight! He's flowing like crazy. That inspired me to go in there and really hammer something out. I don't like nobody to outdo me on tracks — I'm inspired by other people that do hot tracks. If it's banging, I give it up. I don't care if Mickey Mouse did it."

I cannot wait to hear those tracks ;)

Dogmatic187 said:
Hip-hop fans will be most excited to hear the producer's take on records he's made for Nas' upcoming LP, Hip-Hop is Dead ... The N.

"Oh yeah," Premier said. "It's on and poppin'. We're just cutting tracks, cutting tracks, cutting tracks. Whatever works, we keep. Whatever don't work, we don't keep. That's always been our formula. It's real fun with Nas. Just like a day hanging out, but a good joint comes out of it. We ain't never did a dud. Every one's been a banger."

Premier says that fans will be pleased at the level of Nas' focus.

"Nas knows what he has to do," Premier explained. "He knows it's a lot of, 'He's older,' or '[Can he still] do it?' or 'That's not my generation.' He knows what he gotta do. I told him, 'If you don't know, let me know. I'll make sure you stay guided,' 'cause I really am a fan of his and I wanna buy a Nas album.

"We always switch up the formula," Premier added. "Guru [Premier's MCing partner in Gang Starr] used to say we update our formula. Nas played me some joints that Salaam Remi [produced]. Tight! He's flowing like crazy. That inspired me to go in there and really hammer something out. I don't like nobody to outdo me on tracks — I'm inspired by other people that do hot tracks. If it's banging, I give it up. I don't care if Mickey Mouse did it."

I cannot wait to hear those tracks ;)
Good one. :) 12 years later Nas is still capable of taking directions which others will follow. That's why he's number 1.

still pissed bout the Collab not coming to pass.....but we will see how good this LP is.....but come to think obut it the track him and Nas did for Nastradamus ( I think there were a couple too) were pretty whack. But just heard on TV that Pharell of the Neptunes is workin with Nas in the coming weeks as well as Jay-Z (possible track together)....heard that on CD USA.

GhettoStar said:
come to think about it the track him and Nas did for Nastradamus ( I think there were a couple too) were pretty whack.
the only track Premier did on Nastradamus was Come Get Me, and I personally thought that was one of the best three collabs they did together(NY State of Mind & Nas is Like are obviously better, though). I thought it was one of the only bright spots on that album. oh well, I guess it all comes down to preference..... but DAMN. how can you not feel that beat?!

linx

Staff member
Come Get Me is a great song.

"come on the ave, get sized up, plus appraised, duck and pray that my guns don't bust ya way!"

..come on.

Man, this album is looking good so far: DJ Premier's doing cuts as is Pharrell (some people don't like his stuff, but I personally miss the Neptune days...they were much better than the current Lil Jon days) and Jay-Z is looking to possibly do a track with him. I'm hoping this lives up, it'd be good for the more well-known Hip Hop.

AmerikazMost

^ don't forget about Nas and Rakim working together, though that would probably be on Ra's album

Premo is my fave producer.. I can't wait to hear this album

Hallbanger said:
the only track Premier did on Nastradamus was Come Get Me, and I personally thought that was one of the best three collabs they did together(NY State of Mind & Nas is Like are obviously better, though). I thought it was one of the only bright spots on that album. oh well, I guess it all comes down to preference..... but DAMN. how can you not feel that beat?!

personally I'm not feelin that song, but I also don't feel the beats he did similar to that style for Common (Like Water 4 Chocolate LP) and Mos Def (Mathmatcis).....I like more of his smooth type of shit more such as Nas is Like and also you forgot 2nd Childhood (another Collab they did off Stillmatic).

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.