Pras Michel homeless in LA

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Fugees’ rapper Pras Michel recently spent several days as a homeless man, and he documented his dramatic experience for indie film First Night.

For nine days the multi-platinum rapper lived on the streets of downtown Los Angeles chronicling the trials of the homeless. All he had with him were shabby clothes and a daily budget of $1.

"The dollar a day didn't get me much at all," says Pras. "You have to hustle, steal, shoplift or prostitute yourself. I chose panhandling. People gave me the worst looks. Like I was invisible and at the same time the worst person on Earth."

Passersby were unaware that Pras had a hidden camera following him, and after seven hours of begging he made only $8. But even with that money, he wasn’t able to get a decent meal.

"I went into the Standard to get some food,” he says. "I showed the security guards my money but they threw me right out, because I looked homeless and my money was in change."

Carrying a hidden camera, the rapper also observed homeless people defecating on the sidewalk at 2 p.m. and shooting heroin steps away from an LAPD station. "I slept in the rain. My tent was stolen. I experienced how these people live," says Pras, who hopes to screen the documentary at the Toronto Film Festival in September.

"People aren't going to understand what it was like until they see it," he says. "Human beings should not be sleeping among rats."

"Fuck dat nigga should of copped some dope and came up fuck beggin 4 shit beg for a twamp of a double up nigga and grind!"

I so hope your not serious.

Some people who are homeless here choose to be homeless. Some don't like the responsibilities that comes with a job, morgage, bills, etc... While there are some who are truly fortunante most are druggies & drinkers.

LA is #1 for the most homeless people in the United States. Mostly cause of their warm ass weather. When i moved here i was shocked when i went downtown and seen all those homeless people justing living their. shooting up and smoking crack. and people handing them tents to sleep in.

Get In The Van I Have Candy said:
Some people who are homeless here choose to be homeless. Some don't like the responsibilities that comes with a job, morgage, bills, etc... While there are some who are truly fortunante most are druggies & drinkers.

and alot of homelessness is cause of this high ass rent out here in LA. you need 2 to 3 jobs just to pay rent out here.

ArtsyGirl

Good way to show people how they look down on the homeless. But I doubt it'll change anything long term. Pras shoulda done it longer too, or had him do it but not know when he can go back to normal life. I think most people could handle that knowing you'll be warm and safe again in 7 hours.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.