6) Body Baby
7) Hold On featuring Erykah Badu
8) Walk Alone
9) Gun Draws
10) Bar Tap
11) So Good
12) What It Is
13) Welcome To The Terrordome

The version I have has a few extra bonus tracks I believe.

The title pretty much speaks for its self. I think this album is wayyy over looked. Pharoahe Monch has always been a GREAT rapper imo. His first release (Internal Affairs) was pretty good as well. Also for the record, Pharoahe is from the old school group Organized Konfusion. For those of you that don't know. :) My favorite thing about him is his flow. The dude is bananas.

Anyway, this album TO ME was way too over looked. I think the album is dope personally. Probably my favorite this year. My memory is pretty horrible sometimes when I try to remember what came out recently (within the year) as far as albums go. This album has a great sound though. It's not for everyone, but it works well in my opinion. It's a shame that an album like this only sells around 17,000 copies. From what I saw, it got good reviews EVERYWHERE. Like 4/5 stars or 8/10, etc.

Unfortunately, I don't have a link to download it at the moment. But if someone has one, post it so people can check this shit out. It's worth it for sure. I'll try and get a link if anyone really wants it though. I'd probably upload it track by track if anything. :thumb:

Here's a review on it for anyone that wants to read more about it..

Pharoahe Monch has a stunning hip-hop pedigree. The Queens-born MC went to high school with Mobb Deep's Havoc and Prodigy, founded the seminal Organized Konfusion with Prince Po, and ghostwrote for Diddy on Press Play. But the brain-bending lyricist remains best known for a quartet of laddering synth bleats (the uncleared Godzilla sample from "Simon Says" that got his debut solo album, Internal Affairs, pulled from shelves) and a command to "get the fuck up" so irrefutable in that "how the fuck up?" was the only possible response.

His long-delayed sophomore album, Desire, is primed to change that. It's a best-of-both-worlds record, formulated something like this: backpack-rap's sense of social justice (minus shrill self-righteousness) and overclocked verbiage (minus rhythmic malaise) plus the trap star's outsized charisma (minus deadening conspicuous consumption) and furious delivery (plus rampant conspiracy theories). Monch knows it, too, neatly summarizing the dichotomy on "What It Is": "They thought I was backpack/ Slept/ Didn't know that that he kept inside the knapsack..."

This sort of deft reversal characterizes Monch's lyrics ("Slave to a label, but I still own my masters," he spits on the title track), as does an existential and oblique approach to well-worn gunplay scenarios. Vocally, he's like a Yankee Ludacris, except that he peppers his durable, booming vernacular with showy clusters of tongue-twisting homophones. And like Nas in his prime, Monch combines several skill sets into a seamless package: A vivid narrative imagination and the control to bring it to life, a knack for dizzying extended metaphors and haymaker punchlines, and a complex moral sense.

Any given track on Desire displays one or two of these attributes-- "Let's Go" sustains a rhyme scheme built around the names of various handheld peripherals; the braggadocio-driven title track is full of wild puns like "even if you were ashes you couldn't "urn"-- but the best embody them all. In the epic, revenge-fantasy closer "Trilogy", a chorus comprised of Mr. Porter (in the funky first act), Dwele (in the elegiac second), and Tone (in the boom-bap third) provides narrative compression and interior monologue. "Trilogy"'s fantastic pacing and its use of music as a storytelling supplement only adds to its high-wire tension.

Monch might flounder into familiar indie territory if his music weren't so lucid and lively. He gives his backup singers and shapeshifting beats plenty of room to breathe, especially on the tracks he produced himself. On the anthemic "Push", he drops in for one climatic verse after a long gospel workout moistened by Tower of Power horns, and on "Body Baby", he forgoes his usual boom in favor of brisk syllabic shards that slot neatly into the music's juke-joint bounce. Producers like 99 Fingaz, Alchemist, and Detroit up-and-comer Black Milk give Monch the kind of extraterrestrial soul he's built for. The only duds are the genre exercises: The maddeningly insistent guitar noodles during the Public Enemy throwback "Welcome to the Terrordome" are a long way from the Bomb Squad's Prince-sampled shredding, while the disposable "Bar Tap" shows that club tracks aren't one of Monch's strong suits.

Monch also handled production on "What it Is", where conspiratorial whispers and an urgent synth monotone make the thread of paranoia running through the record sonically explicit. This conspiratorial bent, combined with the album's interludes (which range from civil-rights polemics, meditations on telekinesis, and a satire of Clear Channel-controlled FM radio), give it a recondite feel. Yet Monch's fantastical side is tempered by hyper-modern references to the Iraq war, stem cell research, Hurricane Katrina, and, in a clear moment of weakness, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. His penchant for working hot-button topics into his rhyme schemes is so pronounced that you almost expect to hear about troop surges and colony collapse.

The long wait for Desire is due largely to the Rawkus/Geffen debacle, and Monch isn't happy about it-- as on Clipse's Hell Hath No Fury, his frustration with being stuck in label-purgatory is apparent in pockets of the album. The first time he speaks, on the whammy-barred screed "Push", it's to liken the rap industry, with its "choruses of cocaine, tales of black heat," to indentured servitude. "Now switch that advance for your emancipation!" This angry-prole stance pervades the album; Monch seems more concerned about labels fucking with his personal agency than his money. He doesn't take pride in wealth like cocaine rappers, nor does he take pride in poverty like their undie foils-- he seems more interested in specific self-definition than on picking a side in rap's culture war. At a time when a thread of unquestioning capitalist acquiescence runs through an otherwise lively and diverse rap climate, Monch's embattled anarchism isn't just refreshing, it's inspiring.

-Brian Howe, June 25, 2007

ARon

This is a great album, I remember when it dropped everyone was talkin about it. So im not sure about overlooked but whatever, Pharoahe is godly

Here's a wakeup call for anyone thats been sleeping on this album...

http://rapidshare.com/files/40067308/PM.D.LAME.APS.teK.rar

Albums dope as hell man. It stays in heavy rotation for me. Cant get enough of "What it Is" & "When the Gun Draws". And ur right it is overlooked, criminally slept on just like alot of the other really good releases this year (and every year). But I mean Monch is the type of name every dude that listens to hip hop shoulda been waiting on. He aint underground nor is he 'Old School' enough that the younger cats wouldnt know who he is.

And yea his flow is ridiculous, shit never gets boring. Some ppl have a dope flow, but they only have that one flow, Monch can flip it differently on almost track he does and its still ill.

peace

Bobby Sands

I bought this on release day. Pharoahe Monch is one of the best imo. I liked Internal Affairs better though but this is still a very good album.

linx

Staff member
You know what, I been trying to look for this album but its pretty hard to find. Does in beat Killah Priest?
You talking about The Offering? If so, nah. I enjoyed The Offering very much, but I just think this Pharoahe album is great. Maybe it's just me though. I love the album.

Preach

it's not overlooked by me. i think i uploaded a couple of tracks from it in my tracks thread a few months back but i may remember wrong. "let's go" is kewl. "body baby", the melody in the beat isn't my favorite but the beat itself is a cool concept. his flow on it is sick indeed.

Peronally I liked it alot better than "the offering". But maybe thats just me.

And I heard Agent Orange yeeeaaars back, I was kinda dissappointed to see that on the alum. Although the Track is ILL... and yea that first verse is a display of how genius Monch's lyrics are. Shits outta this world

peace

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.