Paying Respects To The Old School

What are some instances whether its from a few lines from a song, interview or whatever where a mc is acknowledging the old school, or paying tribute/homage in some fashion to the mc's that came before them and inspired them...

heres a instance Pun givin praise to kool g rap...this is from a Kool G Rap interview a while ago talkin about the first time he met big pun..

11. Big Pun showed you the utmost respect both personally and publicly. You guys did several songs together. Describe your relationship with Pun if you don't mind ..

G Rap: Nah its cool. Yeah I met Pun through Fat Joe at one of Joe's clothing stores in the BX at the time. Actually when I met Pun {laughs for a sec} he got down on one knee and called me the "god of rap" or something like that. I don't really remember but I was real honored that dude had that respect and admiration for me. He told me he spits and Joe told me too that he was mad nice. I was in AZ when they sent me the song "Wishful Thinking" with B Real, Fat Joe & at the end Pun was spittin. When I heard it I was like "damn this dude is nice". And obviously I remembered him and shit. He introduced himself to me as "Punisher". So that stuck with me right off top that son had crazy skills.

12. Do you feel that Pun is overlooked by some as an MC ?

G Rap: Oh hell yeah. I mean when I hear people mention there list of top rappers and shit cats be forgetting Pun. I never understood that shit cause Pun was retarded. Lyrically, flow wise, cleverness, word play, charisma, character, humor, yo whatever. This dude was a lot of things wrapped in one and that's a gift and a half. He could be gangster, funny, or flip that club shit. I feel he's heavily over looked by some cats and that's crazy to me.

but drop some more instances...i know 2pac did a whole song tributed to the old school with Old School on the me against the world album...

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.