Paul Wall Wants To Chop & Screw B.I.G.'s Greatest Hits

Newlywed Paul Wall Grilling With 'Girls,' Wants To Chop And Screw Biggie
11.22.2005 10:26 PM EST

In-demand rapper/producer hopes high-profile collabos will result in payback for next video.
Paul Wall
Photo: Frank Micelotta/Getty Images

HOLLYWOOD — Paul Wall is known as hip-hop's expert on grills, but switch the R and the I around and lose an L — he does pretty well with those too.

In fact the rapper's next single is titled "Girl" and pays homage to the opposite sex.

"It's definitely a different side of me, 'cause most of the other songs we do about ballin' or about the car culture we enjoy down in Houston," the recently married Wall revealed. "It's a tale about dealing with trials and tribulations in your love life."

"Oh girl, I'd be in trouble if you left me now," Wall sings at the opening of the song. " 'Cause I don't know where to look for love, I just don't know how."

Wall has yet to shoot the video but has a treatment in mind.

"It's gonna be like a courtroom scene," he explained. "I'm not gonna talk too much about it but it's gonna be a little comedy in there, a couple celebrity faces gonna be in the courtroom."

Wall wouldn't elaborate, but if he calls in a few owed favors, it could be quite the star-studded clip. Along with making grills for Kanye West, Lil Jon and T.I. over the years, he's recently collaborated on wax with Juelz Santana for Usher's upcoming "In the Mix" soundtrack (see "Usher Hopes 'Mix' Will Put Him On Path To Becoming The Next Will Smith"); with Jim Jones and Diddy for the former's "What You Been Drankin' On"; with Ashanti and Method Man for her new single (see "What's Ashanti Doing In A Cheap Hotel With Joey Buttafuoco?"); and with Nelly, Ali and Big Gipp on Nelly's recently released single "Grillz."

"I'm real famous around the industry for doing the grills, the teeth, for everybody," Wall said. "I did Nelly's grill for him and then he was like, 'I'm gonna make a song about grills and I gotta get you on it.' So of course I went and did my thing. Like I say on the song, 'I'm like George Foreman/ Selling everybody grills.' "

Wall also appears on the Notorious B.I.G.'s upcoming Duets: The Final Chapter (see "Biggie Duets LP Features Eminem, Snoop, Tupac, Nas, Ludacris"), which he called a tremendous honor.

"I've been talking to Diddy about screwin' and choppin' Biggie's greatest hits for a long time, and I think he's gonna go ahead and do it," Wall said, referring to the popular Houston remix style of slowing tracks down. "We recently just screwed and chopped some ring tones, so we're gonna throw that out there and see how that do and then after that we're gonna screw and chop his whole full-length album and hopefully with the Biggie Duets."

Wall recently became the first producer to chop and screw a rock album, the Transplants' Haunted Cities (see "Transplants Team Up With Paul Wall For First Chopped-And-Screwed Rock LP"), and the gig lead him to a new side project, a band with drummer Travis Barker and singer Rob Aston called Expensive Tastes (see "Call Guinness World Records: Barker Forms Another Band, This One With Paul Wall").

"Rob has that kind of entrancing sound to his voice and I have that Southern drawl, that laid-back type of talk, but when we come together it's gonna be somethin' serious," Wall said. "We just started doing recording, picking out the beats and doing a lot of the production. It's gonna be an off-the-chain album, 'cause we're all coming from various walks of life, various musical backgrounds. We're all coming together, doing our own thing and putting [together] all our pieces to the puzzle. And it's gonna be one hell of a puzzle."

Aside from all his studio work, Wall also hopes to launch an official tour soon with friends like Mike Jones and Bun B, who appear on The People's Champ's second single, "They Don't Know" (see "Paul Wall Puts His Album Aside To Help Hurricane Survivors").

"[There's] a tour with a lot of Atlanta artists going, a tour with a lot of New York artists, a tour with a lot of California artists, so hopefully we're gonna get a tour together with a lot of Texas artists all on one tour," Wall said.

As for his recent nuptials, the rapper is happy to put the single life behind him, even if he's just recently become a celebrity.

"The groupies, they been around since I was 16, that's when we started off doing the independent thing," he said. "I've grown up now, I'm a man, so it's time for me to make man decisions in my life so that's what I'm doing, and just jumping over that broomstick and tying the knot was one of 'em. But I've really been married to the hustle for 24 years, since I was born, so it's just finally time for me to marry a woman."

— Corey Moss

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1514358/20051122/wall_paul.jhtml?headlines=true

i wish they would leave that chopped and screwed bullshit in the south nobody wants to hear that trash

PuffnScruff

Sorry, I'm not down with tylanol night time cold medicine in my drink.

I don't mind chopped and screwed. When I play around with my turntables I slow down some records and screw with them, but not everthing sounds good chopped. Specially east coast hip hop.

No offense, but Screwed and Chopped music should've been laid to rest when DJ Screw was, because that shit sucks. Now they're going to far with this shit. It's just like a New York rapper doing a crunk song, some things should be better off left alone to those who suit it better.

why people hatin'... it aint like its yo only choice and you have to buy it.

i've chopped n screwed a few big tracks that sound amazing slowed down.

chopped n screwed notorious thugs + blunt + big speakers = DOPE

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.