Over-rated albums?

Chronic

I take my choice back. forgot the thread was about very over-rated albums. Just doing my part to pull this thread even further down :)

AEOM is the overrated Pac album, not 7DT.

Binary Star - Masters of the Universe
Bun B's solo albums
DANGERDOOM - The Mouse and the Mask
Prodigy's post-ballerina-hangover solo output (Return of the Mac onwards...)
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Nas - It Was Written
Lil' Wayne -The Carter III

Not to say these releases aren't good or even very good but they definitely don't match up to the acclaim they've received.

I think Scarface is a very curious case. IMO every single one of his albums is either over or underrated.

_carmi

me, myself & us
wow i have to completely disagree here. The Eminem Show is not a classic? There isn't a single piece of filler on that album. How many albums can you say that about? Not only is it a classic, it is one of the best rap albums of all time. I think it's superior to MMLP, although that is also one of the best rap albums of all time. Stillmatic is also a classic that deserves 5 mics and I must say that although I like Jay Z and loved Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint is not even a good album much less a great one. I had it and lost it somewhere and never bothered trying to find it.
Filler: My Dad's Gone Crazy.
Thank you

Ps Don't you dare say that track is good... Please.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
^well, i kind agree.

But, the Eminem Show is still classic to me. I don't care if it has a non-listenable track...after all, the track is on some personal shit. So, who am I to call a personal track filler?

_carmi

me, myself & us
^well, i kind agree.

But, the Eminem Show is still classic to me. I don't care if it has a non-listenable track...after all, the track is on some personal shit. So, who am I to call a personal track filler?
The album is a personal classic of mine. Fuck I won't lie I <3 Eminem (except for Encore it was less than average). The guy was great and I have high expectations and a lot of faith for Relapse. The Eminem Show is a classic in my list, but I don't think it is a classic per se. I see MMLP as a classic.

(I had to point out the filler track lol.. stronger than me)

yak pac fatal

The Documentar - The Game

when i first bought the album i was like damn this has the potential to be labeled a classic. honestly i havent even listened to the album since the year it came out. it has no replay value.

and all kanye albums (yes, i like a few songs but all his albums r overrated...)

Euphanasia

Filler: My Dad's Gone Crazy.
Thank you

Ps Don't you dare say that track is good... Please.
lol i don't think that song is a filler track. i think it's really good.

The Documentar - The Game

when i first bought the album i was like damn this has the potential to be labeled a classic. honestly i havent even listened to the album since the year it came out. it has no replay value.

and all kanye albums (yes, i like a few songs but all his albums r overrated...)
i love the documentary and i play it over and over again all the time. and i do agree that Kanye's first two albums are overrated, but not Graduation. I love that album.

Preach

AEOM is the overrated Pac album, not 7DT.
I think the point he was trying to make is that someone saying Madvillainy is an overrated album i an equally ludicrous statement to saying the 7 Day Theory is an overrated album, bobby just doesn't happen to agree with the latter.

Furthermore he produced no arguments for why it is overrated. He simply said it bores him and he hates it. That's not overrated, that is the album not ringing his bell. It's a critically acclaimed album however, so obviously a lot of people think otherwise. At the same time, a lot of hiphop fans in general think Tupac as a whole is overrated. You think they are wrong, they think you are wrong. Both things are stupid things to say really.

Bobby Sands

^^well thats my motherfucking opinion isnt it. :)

I dont like this album much because i find it boring. Im not a big fan of MF Doom. i dont like his voice or his rapping style.He is a poor rapper imo. I guess the production from Madlib is ok but i find it a little bland. There are too many skits as well. The album had little replay value for me. I guess i just dont like that much although as i said i do like Vaudeville Villain. I have MM Food here as well and i dont like that either.

I can understand that people like this album. im not a big fan of it though and that is my opinion. I dont think that it is rubbish either btw. Others see it as a classic.

lets see what you think are over-rated albums. maybe i will disagree with you on some.

L.A.X. By the Game. I love his first two albums so when I first bought it I was like, fuck yeah, this fools gonna drop some hit shit again. 2 weeks into the release I stopped playing it.

_carmi

me, myself & us
L.A.X. By the Game. I love his first two albums so when I first bought it I was like, fuck yeah, this fools gonna drop some hit shit again. 2 weeks into the release I stopped playing it.
The Documentary was overrated. I always thought I'd still be bumping it but no. As for LAX, after the first listen I knew it wasn't a classic, it had no replay value at all.

yak pac fatal

^agreed

how about anything put out by lil wayne? i remember everyone was on the carter 3 bullshit and seems like it died down, well atleast in jerz... the new crayz here is drake? never heard of him thou. lol i dont keep up with modern hip hop unless its bone thugs (and if em drops a nice album)

Preach

^^well thats my motherfucking opinion isnt it. :)

I dont like this album much because i find it boring. Im not a big fan of MF Doom. i dont like his voice or his rapping style.He is a poor rapper imo. I guess the production from Madlib is ok but i find it a little bland. There are too many skits as well. The album had little replay value for me. I guess i just dont like that much although as i said i do like Vaudeville Villain. I have MM Food here as well and i dont like that either.

I can understand that people like this album. im not a big fan of it though and that is my opinion. I dont think that it is rubbish either btw. Others see it as a classic.

lets see what you think are over-rated albums. maybe i will disagree with you on some.
just saw this that i forgot to respond to.

you probably will disagree on some, that wasn't really my point. you're fully entitled to an opinion, and had you said "and by the way, i don't really like madvillainy, and never got the fuzz", well i wouldn't have a lot to pick at. listen, this is the same as when people talk about classic albums, and then there's always people questioning these so called "classic" albums saying they're not that. being overrated or being classic, the words themselves imply that the opinion is held by more than one person, as the perception of one person cannot determine the overall quality and appeal of anything. people who say tupac is a bad rapper have no fucking clue what they are talking about. likewise, people saying madvillainy is overrated have no fucking clue what they are talking about. as a general rule of thumb people should keep such ludicrous statements to themselves because deep down they know they are just trying to be controversial. if they say "i don't like it because it's not my taste", that's a different matter altogether. that's an opinion, not a bold and factually wrong statement.

and all of this was basically my point bobby, i didn't like one of the words you used to describe your feelings :p

-----EDIT-----

as for over-rated. i'll tell you that from my point of view, i never quite got the fuzz around illmatic. i have played the album and all, and some of the tracks are hot hot hot. but to be honest, i think a lot of the better ones got left off the album. the only thing i can say about it is, nas lyrics sound like they make more sense. in later albums, its like he just says random things that rhyme but have no reason. on illmatic, some of his rhymes have a more storytelling approach to them. i appreciate this. beyond that, there are several albums i will play before that one.

game albums. he knows all the shit he's rapping is bullshit, i know it, you know it. listening to his 200 dre shoutouts and corny poetical gangsta rhymes again just doesn't appeal to me. i play game when i wanna hear fat westcoast sounding beats. or because people at a party is more familiar with his music. i think there's 5-10 game songs i genuinely like.

50 cent. even before his first mainstream album. power of the dollar wasn't all that to me. maybe that's just cause i first started playing it years later. i remember the missy elliot remix with 50 and around that time everyone was hyped about him. i hated that song, and never truly checked him out till after his second mainstream solo. i like his mixtapes cause 50 is a funny ass dude. a real character.

diamond d - stunts, blunts and hiphop. another album that's supposedly so good. maybe it was for its time. haven't really paid attention to lyrics other than having it play in the background while doing other shit like chatting. it's alright, but a lot of the songs bore me. in comparison, some old KMD songs that have even more simplistic beats and rhymes fall to my liking. probably a lot to do with how i got into doom in the first place. so it's not the sound of the album, nor the lyrics themselves, but i relate to nothing when playing this album.

so there's four.

Bobby Sands

You think Illmatic is overrated? omg now whos trying to be controversia?l :)

tell me this. do you like that track Accordion off Madvillainy? just curious to know.

but obviously you are a big MF Doom fan. which is fair enough especially since you liked KMD's music.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.