Outkast are not splitting up, ignore the rumors

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Rumors of OutKast breaking up had gotten so out of control that group member Andre 3000 decided to call MTV News and set the record straight himself.

"We're holding it under wraps. ... But we're still doing music," Andre said. "Yesterday I got a phone call from Big Boi and he said that on some hip-hop Web sites that the headlines were reading something to the effect of, 'It's Official: Outkast Is Broken Up,' or something like that. And man, we're looking at it like, where is this shit coming from? I was on 'TRL' to release a new video, and I meant to say something [about the situation] on the air. But the way they had the questions set up, I didn't have a chance to do it."

Dre said chatter about their supposed split has moved beyond the Internet.

"Niggas hit me in the street like, 'Yeah man, I heard the bad news. Sorry to hear about that,'" Andre continued. "I'm like 'Man, what are you talking about?' Everything is still tight, most definitely."

It didn’t help matters that Andre and Big Boi chose to shoot videos for their two solo releases from the Idlewild soundtrack — "Idlewild Blue (Don'tchu Worry 'Bout Me)" and "Morris Brown," respectively — instead of appearing together in a clip for their first single, "Mighty O," which features vocals from both members.

"Really, we were supposed to shoot the 'Mighty O' video, but we were shuffling around with too many treatments and it got too late," 3000 told MTV News. "The record company and film company felt that it was probably better off to help sell the movie to go with these songs ["Idlewild Blue" and "Morris Brown."]. But originally we were supposed to come out with just one single."

A rumor that was particularly frustrating to Dre was that OutKast turned down an offer to appear on The Oprah Winfrey Show, something Dre says "was totally not true."

"We went to Oprah because we were pumping this 'Idlewild' film and soundtrack,” he added. “They sent her a copy of the movie. But the [film's] release dates kept being pushed back and Oprah's show is dormant during the summertime, so there was no chance for us to do it. Next thing we see on the Internet is, 'Outkast turns down Oprah.' They make it seem like we're jumping on the bandwagon with 50 Cent and Ludacris and some people boycotting, which is totally not the case'"

The Idlewild soundtrack, due in stores three days before the Aug. 25 film release, may unload as the next single "Hollywood Divorce," featuring Snoop Dogg and Lil’ Wayne. Dre says if that track is chosen, you'll see him along with Big Boi in the video.

ArtsyGirl

Good to hear theres no split, especially since I never heard of the split haha no panic. But :laugh: @ Oprah gettin a mention, she's in Hip Hop now if she likes it or not! haha

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.