Oprah speaks out on hip-hop

Iconic talk show host Oprah Winfrey has put recent speculation to rest after declaring she has no beef with hip-hop.

“I’m not opposed to rap,” she said whilst celebrating LA Reid’s fiftieth birthday with artists such as Jay Z, Janet Jackson, Ciara, Baby Face and Young Jeezy.

Oprah made the comments after finding herself on the receiving end of statements made by Ludacris, Ice Cube and even 50 Cent. Ice Cube recently said he felt snubbed by the talk show host and Ludacris was left disgruntled after his interview was heavily edited. 50 Cent also piped up to throw some comments Oprah’s way, even stating “I’m actually better off having friction with her.”

Oprah said “I don't have an opinion, because I am my own person," at the birthday party's red carpet. "I respect other people's rights to do whatever they want to do in music and art and whatever. So I am my own person, they are their own people. I respect their rights.”

"I am a woman who has worked very hard for my status in the world and as a human being," she continued. "I don't want to be marginalized by music or any form of art...I feel rap is a form of expression, as is jazz. I'm not opposed to rap. I'm opposed to being marginalized as a woman."

Ludacris recently denied that he is calling for a boycott of Winfrey’s show and stated he would appear on the program again if it were filmed live. He also expressed a desire for Oprah to host an intelligent discussion about hip-hop with a group of MCs.

lii

why did this have to be blown out of proportion? she never said she was against rap to begin with. kanye west performed hey mama on her show and eves been on there, but its not really her audience. so what if she doesnt want some dude who calls women hoes and bitches on there?

ArtsyGirl

Those are fair comments she made. I would also like her to have a show with some MC's, not neccesarily the mainstream ones either. Doubt it'll happen, but its her show, her choice.

lii said:
why did this have to be blown out of proportion? she never said she was against rap to begin with. kanye west performed hey mama on her show and eves been on there, but its not really her audience. so what if she doesnt want some dude who calls women hoes and bitches on there?
That is a surprisingly good point compared to a lot of other things I read on this forum all of the time

Oprah is full of shit. She's been so whitewashed that she's forgotten where she come from. I never paid that much attention to the fact that she doesn't have many black people on her show until the Luda thing came out but then I started paying attention. The week I was on vacation and for two weeks after that everyday that I was off of work, I turned the tv to Oprah just to see who was on her show and I promise you I didn't see one single black person on there. And I'm white so it's not like I'm saying this because I'm black and think it's wrong.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.