Oprah Responds to Hip-Hop Criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talk show host Oprah Winfrey is speaking out about the recent criticism she has received from the Hip-Hop community.

In the past few weeks, rappers Ludacris and 50 Cent have openly condemned Winfrey, who appeared on Ed Lover's Power 105.1 radio show yesterday (May 11) to defend her side of the story.

"I listen to some Hip-Hop. I've been accused of not liking Hip-Hop and that's just not true," she said. "I got a little 50 [Cent] in my iPod. I really do. I like 'In Da Club.' Have you heard the beat to 'In Da Club'? Love that, love Jay-Z, love Kanye, love Mary J. Mary J. is one of my friends."

The backlash against Winfrey sparked last year after Ludacris appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show to promote his co-starring role in the film Crash.

While discussing the movie's racial subject matter with the other cast members, Winfrey interrogated Ludacris about his notoriously raunchy lyrics.

The rapper addressed the incident in the May issue of GQ Magazine, stating that Winfrey edited his comments out of the show.

He also revealed that he wasn't invited to appear on the show initially, and that he felt Winfrey's questioning was inappropriate considering the fact that he appeared on the show as an actor.

"What I got was that by having rappers on her show, she feels like she is empowering in them. It was like being at someone's house who doesn't really want you there," Ludacris told GQ. "I don't see why Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle, who I am huge fans of, it's OK for them to go on Oprah. They speak the same language as I do, but they do it through comedy, so I guess that's acceptable to her."

Winfrey said she and Ludacris continued their conversation after the show, as she attempted to explain why she put the rapper in the hot seat.

"I said 'Look Ludacris, you are so smart. You are one of the brilliant guys. I used to have the Klan on and the skinheads on and I looked out in the audience and I saw contact being made between the guys in the audience and the stage and they were like, 'Yeah get her, get her, get her, Bud,'" she said. "At that moment, I was doing nobody any good [by] putting those people on because I realized that that platform was being seen and heard by a lot of people who weren't as smart as I am.

"My idea was, I want y'all to know that this is what's going on," Winfrey continued. "And I said to Ludacris, 'A lot of people who listen to your music aren't as smart as you are. So they take some of that stuff literally when you are just writing it for entertainment purposes.'"

Ludacris isn't the only rapper who has claimed to be offended by Winfrey's actions, however.

50 Cent told the Associated Press that rappers are a rarity on her show.

"I think she caters to older white women." 50 said, adding that "Oprah's audience is my audience's parents. So, I could care less about Oprah or her show. I'm actually better off having friction with her."

While Winfrey expressed her love of Hip-Hop to Ed Lover, she also decried the misogyny prevalent in the music and stressed that there are many different aspects of Hip-Hop.

The media mogul said she personally felt the worldwide impact of rap during an encounter with a security guard for African political leader Nelson Mandela.

According to Winfrey, the guard greeted her group by saying "Hello n***as."

Winfrey explained to Ed Lover that the guard thought it was the norm because they watched videos and listened to rap music.

Lover later told Winfrey that he would never use the word 'b***h' again.

Hip-Hop's power is undeniable, Winfrey acknowledged, as she noted the music's growing influence years ago, as well as the accompanying responsibility.

"Years and years ago, Quincy Jones and I had this conversation about the evolution of Hip-Hop and what it really means to our culture," Winfrey said. "Hip-Hop is like jazz and gospel music, evolved from the people, a form of protest, a form of expression so you can't deny that, nor would I try. But I do believe there needs to be awareness of who we are, how we got here and what that means about staying here."

http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=5667

MR_HIP_HOP_HEAD said:
Talk show host Oprah Winfrey is speaking out about the recent criticism she has received from the Hip-Hop community.

...of the story.

"I listen to some Hip-Hop. I've been accused of not liking Hip-Hop and that's just not true," she said. "I got a little 50 [Cent] in my iPod. I really do. I like 'In Da Club.' Have you heard the beat to 'In Da Club'? Love that, love Jay-Z, love Kanye, love Mary J. Mary J. is one of my friends."

The backlash against Winfrey sparked last year after Ludacris appeared ...

haha
BET had some award show 2 weeks ago the host dissed her hard. She knows shes not down anymore, shes just trying right now.

Its sad though from my view im black i feel them!!1Luda n yes i sidin wit a snitch on this one!!!She is tryin so hard to b accepted into anotha race when u should love yours n learn from others races!!!On her show i see her all the time kissin a white person ass!!!But in the long run she will b anotha Micheal Jackson n OJ Simpson_we in in Black America call them Uncle Toms or my sayin HouseNiggaz!!Look at Mike he wanna be white cuz his daddy called him uigly so u ugly wot money!!No1 sees if ya ugly or not wit money!!!N Oj every1 has seen how he tried to be white it made him kill him ex wife,then after that they fucked OJ n took his manhood yall!!!I am black these are only my opinions dont start no beef over what i said!Oprah will go down like them soon,then she realize always stay true!!Its kool learnin from anotha race or culture but dont try to act like you really are them!!!U too Eddie Murphy n alot of others ,Halle Barrie u all mixed Mariah Carey,u 2 Bill Cosby stop the hatin cause after they take ya rich n fame u gonna be anotha housenigga!!

lii

i dont understand, its not like the black race is wholly defined by hip hop, but if oprah doesnt like hip hop, that somehow means she hates her own race? i think shes just saying there needs to be balance and thats basically what everyone else says too

Duke

Staff member
2pacthuglawzjer said:
Its sad though from my view im black i feel them!!1Luda n yes i sidin wit a snitch on this one!!!She is tryin so hard to b accepted into anotha race when u should love yours n learn from others races!!!On her show i see her all the time kissin a white person ass!!!But in the long run she will b anotha Micheal Jackson n OJ Simpson_we in in Black America call them Uncle Toms or my sayin HouseNiggaz!!Look at Mike he wanna be white cuz his daddy called him uigly so u ugly wot money!!No1 sees if ya ugly or not wit money!!!N Oj every1 has seen how he tried to be white it made him kill him ex wife,then after that they fucked OJ n took his manhood yall!!!I am black these are only my opinions dont start no beef over what i said!Oprah will go down like them soon,then she realize always stay true!!Its kool learnin from anotha race or culture but dont try to act like you really are them!!!U too Eddie Murphy n alot of others ,Halle Barrie u all mixed Mariah Carey,u 2 Bill Cosby stop the hatin cause after they take ya rich n fame u gonna be anotha housenigga!!

You may wanna work on your writing style.

PuffnScruff

look at what 2pacthuglawzjer said. saying things like uncle tom and "HouseNiggaz" is a form of racism. its called race on race racism (even though i dont agree with that phrase, race on race racism, because i believe all racism is race on race racism since we are all part of one race called human race, but still that is what it is called)

Rahim

VIP Member
Staff member
I'm not sure if I agree with what she said or weather I dont. But I guess it's just an open minded statement if you look at it.

Delic

Giovane D'Honore
"Hello niggas!" Hahah.

We're all different individuals but we're also part of different groups, lifestyles, cultures, and these days that's not necessarily recognizable by the color of your skin.

I'm a proud latino but I hate some latinos like I hate some white people, like I hate some black people, but I'll always love my people, the real niggas.

That's just how I feel and it may be misunderstood, but it makes sense to me.

Oprah reminds me of Delores Tucker in this case. I understand where they're coming from but come on now, why rap?

Rappers didn't fukking invent violence, rappers aren't the first ones to express violence through music, and violent rap music doesnt take control of your mind and force you to be violent.
I've been listening to "violent" music for years, yet I'm a very calm person.

There's violence everywhere you look in our society. Just take a look at the news. Everyday there's some story about someone who got killed or hurt, and in a lot of different horrible ways.
Look at Hollywood. Every year there's a new violent movie coming out that is viewed by millions.
Yet these people choose to criticize some rappers for their violent music, as if they're the creators of violence.

Why doesn't she sweat Tom Cruise for all his violent movies instead? That sh1t is seen by a whole lot more people than Ludacris' songs is heard by.

By these people's logic, anyone who orchestrates a violent performance or story has a negative influence on other people.
In that case, a history teacher is a bad influence on his students, because the history of mankind has always been the history of war, and you can't tell it without including violence.

I agree that some rappers write about stupid sh1t sometimes, but to say that it's only rappers is absurd. You can't categorize people or music genres like that. They're not he only ones giving away negative images to people.

You can't live this life without experiencing violence in one way or another. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that it's the way it is.

So, she might as well tell violent people not to be violent instead of telling this nigga not to rap about violent things.
We see negative images every day. Each and everyone of us will decide what we think is right and wrong and act by it.

"Mr. Shakur, can you please explain the meaning of your violent lyrics?"
"Explain the meaning? What the fukk's these niggas talking about?"

"There's gonna be some stuff you're gonna see.. that's gonna make it harder to smile in the future, but though whatever you see, through all the rain and the pain, you gotta keep your sense of humour, you gotta be able to smile through all this bullsh1t, remember that."

"Our lifestyles be closed captioned, addicted to fatal attractions, pictures and actions be played back, in the midst of mashing."

"We military minded souljas, busting shots blindly, tryna' find Jehova.. to help me.. somebody save me.. lost and kräzy, skäred to drop a seed, hoping I ain't kursed my babies.. maybe now niggas feel me now.. picture my pain, embrace my words, make the world change.. and still I smile nigga."

"To all the seeds that follow me: protect your essence, born with less, but you're STLL precious! Just smile for me now."

ArtsyGirl

I understand her not wanting to give power to rappers who promote bad images etc but what about the ones that are positive? Surely giving them the power of the Oprah stage would improve the outlook on Rap and give power to the positive side. Saying I like rap, 50 Cent is cool, then arguing that not having rappers on her show because of the bad influence of rap is somehow a contradiction. 50 Cent is not a positive rapper imo, I think Oprah should do a show on Rap that makes a difference, but then again I doubt she's heard of it.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Stop posting stuff you jack from other sites.

If it was relevent and intresting.. Then Ok. But it takes very little effort to completely rip a news story and then post it here. Most of them are a waste of bandwidth, and no-one replies. We can all visit AHH.com if we wish. Then maybe everyone can post 20 news posts a day and all we will have is jacked news and all the discussion can be forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.