One-Time Rivals Marley Marl And KRS-One Record Album

ChrisZimbo

Staff member
KRS-One and DJ Marley Marl will sonically end one of the most infamous and revered beefs in Hip-Hop history. The pair intends to drop a new album on Koch Records.

Both were involved in a long-running dispute after Marley Marl and MC Shan recorded the seminal 1985 record, "The Bridge," an ode to Queensbridge, New York.

South Bronx MC KRS-One, backed by Boogie Down Productions, took offense to the song, which some say implies that Hip-Hop started in Queens.

KRS-One shot back with "South Bronx," claiming the South Bronx as the true birthplace of Hip-Hop.

Several other dis records were released at the height of the battle, including MC Shan's "Kill That Noise" and KRS One's "The Bridge Is Over."

With the saturation of beef in the Hip-Hop market, Marley said that he wanted to make a definitive statement to the youth.

Marley stated that the process of recording this album with KRS-One started simply.

"It all happened with one phone call," Marley Marl told AllHipHop.com. "They called me and he jumped on the phone and told me it would be spectacular for Hip-Hop."

As a producer, Marley Marl has helped launch the careers of Hip-Hop talents like the Juice Crew's Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Master Ace, Craig G, Roxanne Shante and MC Shan, among others.

Additionally, Marley resuscitated LL Cool J's career when he produced "Mama Said Knock You Out" and hit it big producing early hits for R&B group TLC.

"My reason for doing this is to show these kids that [Hip-Hop beefs] are not that serious," he concluded.

The Queensbridge legend further stated that KRS-One was still laying vocals, but he was extremely excited to be working with his one-time rival. "He's finishing up his portion. It's gonna be crazy," Marley stated. "We got sick beats."

The untitled album is slated to hit stores this summer.

http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=5513

Dope:thumb:

roaches

This is going to be terrible.

Marley Marl doesn't even makes his own beats anymore. He has assistants find samples for him, and has other assistants chop them up for him.

KRS is, well, KRS.

This is a decade and a half too late.

Bobby Sands

Marley Marl doesn't even makes his own beats anymore. He has assistants find samples for him, and has other assistants chop them up for him
Well if thats the way he works now,im thinkin KRS will expect him to produce this album properly.

Why KRS-One is still messing with Koch Records? They tried to doublecross him more then once.
I would like to see this 'reunion project' reaching something really big but this probably won't happen. KRS-One is one of top 10 on my list and always stayed real and uncomprimised but he failed to make any progress in past years (looking at his sales). Marley Marl production skills is what bothers me. Back in the time, he was real giant but he didn't make anything significant in more than ten years. Although, I'm glad to see two pioneers continuing their work despite today's ignorant streams in music.

ARon

roaches said:
This is a decade and a half too late.
This might be the best way to describe this.

Hopefully you're wrong, it would be tight too see two guys like this come and make great music again. So I'm hopin for something good.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.