New Mob Life Records Interview [Talking About Candyman, Mopreme, Projects]

The release of "From East 2 West" which is a collabo with former Death Row Records artist Tha Relaest is before its dropping. Is there already an exact release date available? A few people here in Germany know you and your Label Mob Life
Records, but however others still hasn't heard anything of you all. Could
you as C.E.O. introduce yourself and the label to the visitors of
http://www.hiphopnews.de shortly?

Elijah: Yeah, my name is Elijah. Mob Life Records is an independent label in Jersey. The roster consists of Mopreme Shakur, 730, Sonny Garcia and producer Hella Tight.

Mob Life Records was launched by Hella Tight and you. is this right? What were your goals at the beginning?

Elijah: Yeah that is correct. Me and Hella started Mob Life a couple years ago. Hella had been working with some local rappers for a couple years so I just approached him with the idea and we made it official. Our goals still haven't changed. From the beginning to today our goal is to take Mob Life to the top, not just independently but on a major level.

If you look back til the beginning everything looks good. But let's go back to the past when "The Movement", your first bigger success in rap game, has been released. What has changed for you
since then?

Elijah: A lot has changed since Tha Movement was released. For me personally I learned so much about the game. I consider Tha Movement like a college class. I learned a lot, what to do and what not to do. Mob Life is a lot stronger now. The artists, the beats everything is on another level.

Hella Tight: Since then I have been working with better artists, artists who are motivated, who are really about this rap shit. I stepped up my production and I learned a lot from mistakes I made on that album.

I agree. In my opinion you can remakrk this if you listen to the olds tracks and to thew new tracks. In the meantime, you all work with many other artists, mainly with westcoast artists such as Spice 1, Tray Deee of the Eastsidaz, Shade Sheist who is known for several collabo tracks with Nate Dogg. How do you
judge the current situation in the HipHop business from your view?

Elijah: The current state of hiphop is not where it should be right now. You got a few labels controlling the entire industry right now. Independent artists aren't given the opportunity to shine like they should be. Trust me we are going to change that.

Let's look forward to what the future will bring ... You are from New Jersey. Do you have any plans for the future concering working with eastcoast artists because on your sampler "On the grind" there was a track by Cormega and M.O.P. ?

Elijah: We have already worked with several eastcoast artists. I can't say who right now but 730 has recorded some ridiculous tracks with some well known artists from the eastcoast. We are from the eastcoast so when we do a track with a westcoast artist like Tha Realest the eastcoast is represented by us. We don't really give a fuck what coast you from if you from the south, north whatever. If you an artist we respect in the game we gonna fuck with you.

Attititude is correct. Back to you guys....Since your beginning the label roster has always changed. Who is currently part of the roster?

Elijah: Like I said before the current roster is Mopreme Shakur, 730, Sonny Garcia and producer Hella Tight. Those are the only artists under contract with Mob Life Records.

According to rumors spreaded in the web, Sonny Garcia is no more member of Mob Life. So these are not correct?

Elijah: Haha, SG is still on the label. He was in the studio recording some new music a few weeks ago. He's living in Virginia right now handling some business out there so he comes up whenever he gets a chance. Sonny's one of the homies, before he was rapping before there was a Mob Life we have been homies. He'll always be on Mob Life.

730 and Candyman187 have been the last who joined the roster. 7 30 could you introduce yourself, please? Same with Candyman187 who is said to be mentioned in Tupac's all-time diss song "Hit em up" featuring the Outlawz.

Elijah: Let me just clear something up real quick. Candyman is not officially signed to Mob Life. He's working on his own projects right now. The last artist to join was actually Mopreme. 730 was with us before Mopreme joined the label.

7 30: This is your boy 730, reppin Jersey to the fullest. I love haters, I'm gonna do this music shit regardless of what is said about me. I been doing this since I was able to talk. I'm not rappin I'm expressing what is going on in the hood.

Yo what's up. Your current project is 7 30's mixtape titled "Spit in ya face". 7 30Žs album with Tha Realest is already finished. How was it for you to work together with westcoast underground head Tha Releast?

7 30: It was cool. He got a lot of experience he been in the game for a minute so it helped me out. We both worked at the same pace in the studio, I don't really know too many people like that who work at my pace. We did like 3 songs a day.

How you got in touch with each other? And who had the idea of the East 2 West collabo album?

7 30: Big E set that up. He told the Realest about me. 2 weeks later I was out in Cali recording the album.

Elijah, could you tell us which project is the next one? The long awaited solo album by Thug Life Member Mopreme Shakur or the Shade Sheist collabo project?

Elijah: Mopreme's album will be dropping after From East 2 West. The Shade Sheist project should follow that. We have a few other big projects that are being recorded as well.

Could you give us any details on these upcoming projects? Any
producers known right know? Features?

Elijah: Yeah, From East 2 West has production by Hella Tight, Kurt Kobane and Marvelous Paige. Hella Tight handled most of the production on Mopreme's album. Some of the artists featured on that album are Napoleon, Macadoshis, 730 and Big Syke. The project we are doing with PYO (Shade Sheist) is being produced by Hella Tight and the PYO producers. That album features 730 and Shade Sheist on every song. It also features N.U.N.E., Sonny Garcia and a few other artists.

The release of "From East 2 West" which is a collabo with former Death Row Records artist Tha Relaest is before its dropping. Is there already an exact release date available?

Elijah: I don't have an exact date right now. We have a few offers on the table right now but nothing set in stone yet. I don't see it dropping any later than March though. We'll drop it independently before that.

Short question by the way at Hella Tight. How was it for you to work with several known artists such as Tha Realest and Shade Sheist, also with 2PacŽs Outlawz related heads such as Muszamil and New Child. Your list of production credits is long if you consider that you have entered the game 6 or 7 years ago.

Hella Tight: It was a good experience. It kept me hungry. I learned a lot from working with Tha Realest. You always learn when you work with artists like that.

Is there anyone of them you would like to do a bigger project?

Elijah: Haha we might already be, you never know. I don't like all our news to get out there like that cause a lot people bitin our ideas. They see we got the formula right now.

What's up with Cablez? Could you imagine yourselves to work with him again despite the present differences? You never lost a word on this, but what was the reasons for that split.

Elijah: Na we'll never work with Cablez again. For you to succeed in this industry you have to be ambitious, hungry especially when you are starting out. You are competing against millions of other rappers out there. Cablez was none of those things, we had to drag his ass to get him in the studio. Fuck him.

You also worked out a special on the album "The Movement" which features Dr. Mutulu Shakur, who still is being in security-custody. Your words on this one.

Elijah: Man, I got so much love and respect for Dr. Shakur. To have him speaking on an album I was associated with was like a dream come true. That album could have sold 0 copies and I still would have been happy about it for the fact that he was a part of it. There's a lot of bullshit with his case, he needs to be freed. I still communicate with him. He's a real inspiration.

I liked the action with Mutulu Shakur. That has revived the interest in the former afro-american movements, especially with the young people.

Elijah: Thank you. The sad thing is we shouldn't be the only ones doing this. Other people need to step up.

Your outlooks for the new year 2005 ?

Elijah: 2005 is gonna be incredible. It already started out real good. We have already worked with artists this year I never thought we would have worked with. We got hot releases dropping this year.

Are you going to work in 2005 with other artists, who are not part of the label?

Elijah: Yeah like I said before 730 has recorded some tracks with some other artists. Also besides the PYO (Shade Sheist) project we have another collaboration project planned.

Where do you see yourselves in the end of the year 2005?

Elijah: By the end of this year we are gonna be much further than we are right now. Still making good music.

In 5 years?

Elijah: In 5 years Mob Life Records will be on top of the rap game. 730 will be one of raps biggest names. Hella Tight will be producing tracks for everyone. Mark my words no one is hungrier than us right now.

How does it look with a club tour in Germany?

Elijah: Man a lot people talk about getting us out there but when it comes down to it it's just talk. We will get out there soon though once From East 2 West is released and Mopreme's album.

Aight, then I got a final must-qquestion a la www.hiphopnews.de
- whats your top 5 of the producer lps and of your emcee lps.

Elijah: Man there are too many good producers to narrow it down to just 5. But Dre is definitely on top of the list. Johnny J, Lil Jon, QD3 and Quik are some others. As far as rappers, 2Pac, Tech N9ne, BIG, Wu Tang and Shady. It all depends what mood you are in. That's what makes 2Pac the greatest, he has songs that you can listen to no matter what mood you are in.

Hella Tight: Producers, Dr. Dre, Fred Wreck, DJ Quik, Battlecat and Blaqthoven. Rappers, 2Pac, WC, 50, Em and 730

Okay that have been all the questions as far as now. Thanks to all of you for answering te questions. I wish you all the best for the future. Any last words?

Elijah: Just want to thank you and www.hiphopnews.de for the interview. When we get out there to Germany we'll link up and do another interview. 1 luv to everyone out there. Peace

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.