New Double CD: No Limit Greatest Hits

xxx

Here's the tracklist and a review. Anyone buy this? There are only a handful of songs I even recognize. From what i read Master P doesnt own these songs anymore so he didnt pick these.

1.I"m Bout It, Bout It - 5:30 (Tru)

2.Y"all Ain"t Ready Yet - 5:55 (Mystikal)

3.Bounce Dat Azz - 5:25 (Gangsta T / King George)

4.Gangstafied - 5:21 (Master P / Master P)

5.The Shocker - 4:45 (Sikk The Shocker / MasterP)

6.Make "Em Say Ugh - 5:05 (Fiend / Master P)

7.He Did That - 3:23 (Master P / Sikk The Shocker)

8.Ain"t No Limit - 4:16 (Sikk The Shocker / Mystikal)

9.Where the Little Souljas At? - 4:35 (Lil Soldiers)

10.Soldier Party - 3:19 (Mac / Master P)

11.No Limit Soldiers II - 5:14 (C-Murder / Fiend)

12.Whatcha Wanna Do - 4:38 (X, Mia)

13.Mr. Whomp Whomp - 2:41 (Fiend)

14.NL Party - 4:51 (Ma / Mac)

15.Assassin - 3:44 (Master P / Master P)

16.It"s Your Thing - 3:59 (Master P / Mercedes)

17.Down 4 My N"s - 3:44 (C-Murder / Magic)

Disc 2

1.It Ain"t My Fault, Pt. 2 - 3:26 (Mystikal / Silkk The Shocker)

2.Hot Boys and Girls - 5:23 (Master P / Master P)

3.Bring It On - 5:09 (C-Murder / Fiend)

4.I Miss My Homies - 5:25 (Master P / Pimp C)

5.I Got the Hook Up! - 4:16 (Master P / Songs Of Funk)

6.Ice on My Wrist - 2:41 (Magic / Master P)

7.Bitch Please - 3:54 (Snoop Dogg / Snoop Dogg)

8.Hoody Hooo - 3:25 (C-Murder / Master P)

9.Picture U & Me - 4:42 (Dick, Mo B. / Mo B. Dick)

10.How Ya Do Dat - 4:28 (C-Loc / Master P)

11.Take My Pain - 4:44 (Fiend / Master P)

12.Like a Jungle - 3:24 (C-Murder / C Murder)

13.Lay Low - 3:42 (Master P / Nate Dogg)

14.Shake It Like a Dog - 4:27 (Kane & Abel / Fifth Ward Weebie)

15.Wobble Wobble - 3:35 (C-Murder / Krazy)

16.My Baby - 3:41 (Lil" Romeo)

17.That"s Cool - 3:41 (Slikk The Shocker / Trina)

Born out of a record store in Richmond, CA, and then moved to New Orleans, Master P's No Limit Records ruled the hip-hop underground in the mid-'90s by churning out a ridiculous amount of releases, each promoting upcoming titles, which was a bold marketing move at the time. Low production costs always kept the label's bottom line healthy, and soon the company was branching into the world of movies and even toys. Right about the time the Master P doll was released -- you could pull his string and make him go "ugggghhhhh!" -- things started to go south, and by 2004, the label -- which had already become nearly every hip-hop critic's favorite punching bag -- had gone bankrupt from overextending itself and signing just about anybody with a sneer. P moved on to Koch and created The New No Limit, but things were never the same, as the two-CD No Limit Greatest Hits proves. According to the credits, Master P isn't involved in the selection of these tracks, but the compiling was obviously done by some real No Limit soldiers who reach well past the big names: Master P, Snoop Dogg, Silkk the Shocker, C-Murder, and Mystikal. Hearing the forgotten Fiend's excellent, over-the-top "Mr. Whomp Whomp" is evidence that No Limit predicted the crunk craze of 2004-2005, and while ridiculous moments like "Where the Little Souljas At?" from pre-teen gangstas Lil Soldiers or the syrupy "Picture U & Me Are" from Mo B. Dick are embarrassing enough that P wouldn't have picked them, they are fun reminders of what a wacky and scrappy empire No Limit was. There's also some real heat pulled off long-lost compilations and soundtracks, and the big five's output for the label is whittled down to the most necessary tracks, although Snoop's time at the label was short and there's an argument to made that C-Murder is underrepresented. For fans of true gutter music, there are still some early albums to acquire, but the clichéd "the only No Limit you'll ever need" does apply for the casual hip-hop fan. Better liner notes and some photographs -- there are absolutely none included -- would have been nice, but otherwise this is a great snapshot of the label that taught everyone else how to exploit the underground and released some great gangsta music along the way. ~ David Jeffries, All Music Guide

xxx

Here is the best of Master P and TRU Cds that came out just before the year...

The Best of Master P
1. Bout It. Bout It (II)
2. Make 'Em Say Ugh!
3. How Ya Do Dat
4. Bounce Dat Azz
5. Thug Girl
6. I Got The Hook Up! - (with Sons Of Funk)
7. Hot Boys And Girls
8. Souljas
9. Mr. Ice Cream Man
10. My Ghetto Heroes
11. Bout Dat
12. Step To Dis - (with D.I.G.)
13. Break 'Em Off Somethin'
14. Burbons And Lacs
15. Goodbye To My Homies
16. I Miss My Homies
17. Is There A Heaven For A Gangsta?
18. If I Could Change

The Best of TRU
1. No Limit Soldiers
2. I'm Bout It. Bout It
3. There Dey Go
4. Hoody Hooo
5. Freak Hoes
6. Swamp Nigga
7. I Always Feel Like...
8. Fedz
9. F*** Dem Hoes
10. Gangstas Make The World
11. We Riders
12. Tru Homies - (Street Version)
13. Mobbin' Through My Hood
14. Tru 2 Da Game
15. Would You Take A Bullet For Your Homie
16. Final Ride

...These are actually pretty well put together. There is only 1 or 2 tracks id like to add to each cd. Both represent "the best of" pretty damn well. The only No Limit albums i ever really liked in their entirety are Master P "Ghetto D" and TRU's "Tru 2 Da Game" double cd. I never was too huge into No Limit so any help on why some of these made or not we can discuss...

Militant said:
no "Mr Ice Cream Man"?

and wasn't this Snoop's track?

The track was also on C-Murder's album, it was during Snoop's tenure on No Limit. This tracklist is almost all the singles the they put out. It is terrible.

xxx

Yes, the NL GH double cd is extremely weak and gives the tank a bad name. For those who want a better overview I would recommend the best of master p and tru, then maybe the best of c-murder and silkk...

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.