New Crooked I Interview

What's good man?

Just out here working on these projects. Trying to get this "Boss Music" out there and this DVD "Life After Death Row." I'm really trying to finish those two projects right now.

How good does it feel to be off Tha Row?

It feels good because of the simple fact that I've went through a lot of shit over there. It feels good to be my own boss period. It feels good whenever you leave a label and become your own boss. There's a lot of pressure when there's a lot of Death Row killers. I think they're giving me a pass now! (laughs)

How hard was it to get out of that contract?

Oh man, it was extremely hard. It took between eight and ten months. It took me 50 grand. I'm not no multi-millionaire. For Suge Knight that's nothing, but for me that's a bidding war.

What went on over there that made you want to get out of your contract?

Basically you stay down for four years, you put down 50 songs, you write for different artists over there, you go where you're supposed to go, you represent the label, you get into all the street beefs, you stay down when the boss is incarcerated…you expect your product to hit the shelf. Once it couldn't hit the shelf, it was time for me to move on.

Do you feel any regrets?

I don't feel no regrets because at the time I signed to Death Row the West wasn't putting up any numbers. It was dry over here. I actually had a great deal on paper. I actually had one of the best deals a first-time artist could get. Nobody was selling units. Everybody was waiting on the Chronic 2001. There were no executives checking for West Coast artists. When I went over there I made a business decision and it kept me going because I thought I wasn't going to be able to put music on the streets.

What advice do you have for Petey Pablo?

(laughs) My whole thing with Petey Pablo is that I don't know the cat. But if I have issues with my contract, I would let Jive know how important I am and I would make them understand me and boss me up. I'm not gonna make a move to a label that's gonna not possibly put me out with the same machine that Jive can.

When you left Tha Row, did you keep your publishing?

Oh yeah, everything went straight to me. I always own my publishing. I ddin't sign one of those way-out contracts that some artists sign over there. Some artists over there sign blank pieces of paper and let Suge's lawyers fill it in later.

What was Suge like as a boss?

Suge was cool. I never had a problem with him personally. It's just that there was a whole lot of drama attached to his name in the industry. But to me, I didn't have no problems with Suge. If I had to call him I could. That's one of the hardest thing in the industry is that you can't holla at some of these CEO's, you'd have to talk to the man next to the man. Him as a CEO and a boss, I learned some things from him that I can definitely use right now to run my label.

What did you learn from Suge?

The most important lesson I learned working with Suge is that no matter how many records you sell, the industry can turn their back on you if they're not feeling how you're moving. You can sell 100 million records, but the industry will still shut you down if they don't feel your actions.

What do you hope to do with Dynasty Records?

I hope to make it a dynasty. I hope to put out successful projects for the next five-to-ten years and have something to pass down to the next generation. And I'm also hoping to show that the West Coast is about business and about getting paper. We can do business with the East, we can do business with the Midwest, we can do business with the South. We're about business and we're about good music.

There's rumors that you're working with Dr. Dre right now, is that true?

I wish that was true (laughs). I talk to Dre on the phone. He did tell me that he would get down with me on the next project. I am definitely trying to get down with Dre. Not even on no Hollywood shit. It would be an honor to work with the legend. He set off Ruthless. He set off Death Row. He has the touch. He's a creative dude. I have spoken to him a couple of times and it could happen.

What other producers are you working with?

I gotta give Rick Rock a lot of props. That's a dude that has made hits for Jay-Z, Busta Rhymes, and people don't give people the credit he deserves. I'm also working with D.I.G., that's Dynasty Instrumental Group with my Godbrother. I also just completed three songs with Scott Storch.

How did those come out?

Oh, those are bangers man. Scott's crazy man. Just getting in there with him, he works fast, I work fast from being on Death Row. You know, 2Pac made an album in seven days, so they expect you to work fast over there.

You got a crazy fanbase out there, how does that feel?

Oh man, it's amazing to me. I go somewhere and people say to me "hey, aren't you Crooked I?" I'm like "I never put an album out, how the fuck do you know who I am?" But at the same time, there's just so much love, that's what keeps me grinding and focused. There's people out there that have been waiting for my album and they've been following me for years. I can't stop now. I'm gonna keep in the studio and all that just for them. I love them. It's amazing to me, it knocks me off my feet. Someone came to me and said they heard "Boom Boom Clap" on your website and it had like 10,000 listens! I'll be tripping on that!

Being that you've been around for awhile but that you haven't dropped an album, artists tend to get that stigma that they can't make an album. How are you working to avoid that?

I've just worked so hard. I think they really understand hard work and they hear hard work. I'll do 50-60 songs and then pick 14 for the album. I think the people will get to know me and see a side of me on the album. When you do a feature, you have 16 bars to go for yours, but when you do an album, you can tell people about your life and people can really understand where you're coming from.

Are you going solo on this album?

I'm going to have a guest from each region because that's how I like listen to albums, personally. When I listen to an album, I want to hear somebody represent from the south, the east, the Midwest. I don't have my paperwork cleared where I can mention names but there will be someone from each region represented on this album.

Who's the leader of the West Coast movement right now?

I've got to say Dr. Dre. He got Aftermath, and although people on his label are not from the West, Dr. Dre is a West Coast producer, and they're doing major numbers. Of course, Rest in Peace, 2Pac. He won't go away ever. I've got to give a lot of respect to Ice Cube, because being in XXX right now, he's being a rapper that wants to explore his options. He's showing that you can take it to the movie screen. He's really putting it down. And of course you've got Snoop and you've got Game.

Do you think Game brought the West back?

Game has had an incredible success and I have to give him props. That's the homie. But it's not like the West is back. When the West was really crackin,' you had two or three people out there with multi-platinum albums. You had 2Pac, Snoop, E-40, even smaller groups like Da Luniz…you just had a lot of people selling records when the West was really cracking. Tha Dogg Pound was doing 2-3 million in sales. It's still not fully back. They are giving us more attention though because of the numbers being put up.

Can you be the one to bring the West back?

I don't even know if I could do that. Personally, I think it's going to take two or three different cats putting up good numbers. I think that's what's going to bring the West back where we get recognized and respected for what we do. But me, personally, I know that I can get major play on the East Coast just based on the fact that when I'm over there they give me so much love. They respect the culture. I'm here to keep the culture alive.

What's up with you and Chino XL?

I did a song with him on his new album. He got a new album coming out. I gotta give it up to Chino because everywhere he goes he makes sure he says "Crooked, Crooked, Crooked." So you know, " Chino, Chino, Chino," right back at him! We did a joint together, it's hot, it's coming out on his album it's on Sway and King Tech's album "Back 2 Basics."

What other artists from the East Coast do you have a good relationship with?

In the East, there's a new kid named Aaron G from Brooklyn, We bond. When I go over there, we always get together. I ran into Ja Rule and it was all good even though I'm not on Death Row. Just a gang of local rappers, that's who I chill with out there. But I don't have a problem with nobody.

How important is it to be cool with everyone?

My thing is, I'm not going to have a problem with somebody just to sell records. I'm just chilling. I have no problem with nobody until they have a problem. Once they address me in a certain issue, then I'm going to address it right back full force. Right now I don't have a problem and I'm enjoying not having a problem with nobody because I just came off of Death Row who has a problem with everybody! It came to physical violence sometimes. We try to jump into this industry to escape the streets and take care of the people we love, but everybody's bringing the streets right back into the industry. To me, that's weak. Just go back to the hood, but people want to bang in Hollywood against each other, and that just slows up the money. I'm a hustler, I don't want the money to slow up ever!

What's your next project?

"Boss Music," that's the next thing. You're gonna see the DVD "Life After Death Row." It's got Master P on it, it's got Russell Simmons on there, Loon speaking on his departure from Bad Boy. There's footage from the Hip Hop Summit with Russell Simmons. There's footage of former Death Row artists. I got a segment with Left Eye. I got all the Dynasty members on there. It's action-packed. I'm excited about that and I'm excited about the "Boss Music" album because I'm putting my heart and soul into this album. Those are the two things you're going to see next and after those drop you're going to see me everywhere!

What do you want to say to your fans?

I just want to say thanks for the support. Keep learning. West Coast music is definitely in the building. I will be touching more issues on the album. I ain't forget about my homeboys doing time. I ain't forget about my homies getting beat up in the streets by the police. We will prevail and just support West Coast Hip Hop and Hip Hop in general.

hiphopgame.com

Thanks for the interview.
Crooked I spoke in a very intelligent way about his situation with Death Row. I hope an album from him will finally drop asap.

cool :D
I gotta give it up to Chino because everywhere he goes he makes sure he says "Crooked, Crooked, Crooked." So you know, " Chino, Chino, Chino," right back at him!
dis made me laff :D :thumb:

MaroC

capt'n fruity
PaulyPac said:
How hard was it to get out of that contract?

Oh man, it was extremely hard. It took between eight and ten months. It took me 50 grand. I'm not no multi-millionaire. For Suge Knight that's nothing, but for me that's a bidding war.

There's rumors that you're working with Dr. Dre right now, is that true?

I wish that was true (laughs). I talk to Dre on the phone. He did tell me that he would get down with me on the next project. I am definitely trying to get down with Dre. Not even on no Hollywood shit. It would be an honor to work with the legend. He set off Ruthless. He set off Death Row. He has the touch. He's a creative dude. I have spoken to him a couple of times and it could happen.

Who's the leader of the West Coast movement right now?

I've got to say Dr. Dre. He got Aftermath, and although people on his label are not from the West, Dr. Dre is a West Coast producer, and they're doing major numbers. Of course, Rest in Peace, 2Pac. He won't go away ever. I've got to give a lot of respect to Ice Cube, because being in XXX right now, he's being a rapper that wants to explore his options. He's showing that you can take it to the movie screen. He's really putting it down. And of course you've got Snoop and you've got Game.

What's up with you and Chino XL?

I did a song with him on his new album. He got a new album coming out. I gotta give it up to Chino because everywhere he goes he makes sure he says "Crooked, Crooked, Crooked." So you know, " Chino, Chino, Chino," right back at him! We did a joint together, it's hot, it's coming out on his album it's on Sway and King Tech's album "Back 2 Basics."

nice :thumb:

yeah now jayo felony album is coming out on july 12th and crooked september
treacherous/universal have promised that date will stick

"I'm excited about that and I'm excited about the "Boss Music" album because I'm putting my heart and soul into this album."

How can you not anticipate this album when he says that! It's gonna be fire!

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.