Nelly moves to expand his empire

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Nelly tells MTV that he will be seen more than heard this year, as a number of artists under his Derrty Entertainment label are preparing to release major projects.

"I'm always in the lab, but I'm playing CEO right now. I have a project coming out of my label called Kinfolk, which is Ali from the St. Lunatics and Big Gipp from Goodie Mob. They did a collabo album together, and we're real excited."

Kinfolk just finished shooting the video for their first single, "Go Ahead," and are planning a spring release for the album. Nelly, Big Boi, Young Buck, Three 6 Mafia, Jackie-O and Murphy Lee will make guest appearances. Lee, meanwhile, is completing work on his own new album, which will be supervised by Nelly.

"We also have a guy by the name of Avery Storm coming out, who I think is gonna blow everybody away," Nelly said, describing Derrty Entertainment's first R&B singer.

As for projects outside of the studio, Nelly says he’s currently mulling through movie scripts to follow up his role in last year’s The Longest Yard.

"I'm working on a few things," the rapper said. "Hopefully everything goes as well as planned, but I'm really into the action. I'm really into the sports movies as well. I don't think I'm ready to cry on set yet. So you know, I'm trying to stay away from the sentimental things and stick to what works for me."

The pattern has proved successful for the artist in the shoe arena as well. His new sneaker, Rbk's the Derrty One, gives Nelly the opportunity to blend two of his passions together into one business venture.

"I come from a real athletic background, so I try to merge the athletic background with the entertainment background," he said of the kicks. "I think this is the shoe to do it. I feel real fortunate that Rbk gave me the chance to design my own shoe. I'm a real sneaker freak, so this is like a dream for me."

Nelly’s only planned project to have fallen by the wayside is a reality show announced last fall that would document his life. According to MTV, plans with A. Smith & Co., the television production company behind The Swan and Hell's Kitchen, are now off.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.