Ne-Yo Awarded $700,000 In Lawsuit Over R. Kelly Tour

Rahim

VIP Member
Staff member
Ne-Yo was awarded a $700,000 judgment by a Los Angeles Superior Court judge recently, stemming from a lawsuit filed earlier this year after he was dropped from an R. Kelly tour in late 2007.

In the lawsuit, the singer (real name: Shaffer Smith) claimed he was dropped because the reaction he received from both the crowds and the press were "more favorable" than Kelly was receiving, an allegation the singer vehemently denied.

Kelly was not named in the suit, instead Ne-Yo sued the tour's promoter, Georgia-based Rowe Entertainment Inc.

Following the singer's departure from the tour, the company issued a statement saying, "It was decided that in the best interest of all involved, since I was unable to receive the fully executed contract, I had no other alternative but to release Ne-Yo from the tour. From a business perspective, it would have been extremely difficult for me to continue under this cloud of uncertainty."

Rowe Entertainment never answered the lawsuit, according to the Associated Press, and last week Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Malcolm Mackey ordered the company to pay Ne-Yo and his touring company $700,320.

Ne-Yo claimed in the suit that the lack of signatures shouldn't have been an issue because all the material terms were agreed upon orally.

"The parties understood that the oral agreement was binding and would be binding even if a formal written agreement was never executed," the lawsuit read.

He claims he hired musicians, dancers, security and other personnel, conducted rehearsals and did promotions, while Lowe used his name, voice and likeness for print, radio and television ads to promote the tour.

In other Ne-Yo news, the singer is gearing up for the release of his upcoming album, Year Of The Gentleman. The album is slated for release September 16.

Source: BallerStatus.com

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.