Nas Performing at Virginia Tech

Jokerman

Saw this on O'Reilly Factor. Nas is going to be performing at Virginia Tech, among others, where they had that shooting. O'Reilly says they shouldn't have a gangster rapper there--or even someone like Stephen King, for that matter. Both deal in violent subject matter. Plus, Nas has a weapons conviction. The student newspaper is against Nas coming too. The students are trying to heal and they don't need this controversy. What say you?

FroDawgg

they obviously don't know that esco has a lot of powerful and positive work as well, and even if none of his current songs are "acceptable", i'm sure he can come up with like 5 dope tracks before then and still rip the crowd.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
I'm hoping Nas will perform "Shoot 'Em Up."

One 44, two 45's
3 loaded clips, 4 niggas roll, one nigga drives
500 Benz, 6 reasons why
This kid should die
We shootin every motherfucker outside

Shoot 'em up, shoot 'em up, whaat...

I should have ended my post there.

1. If the parents feel that way, and the student newspaper does (which pretty much can just be 2 people who share the opinion), why is Virginia Tech letting Nas perform?

I'm not going to defend rap here because it is tiring, but I say that it is fine for him to perform. The event is meant to promote healing and healing can be promoted through entertainment, as long as the entertainment doesn't allude to gun violence in this case.

What say you, Jokerman?

PuffnScruff

i would say it really depends on which songs he performs. he does have a good amount of positive and uplifting songs. i saw the segment too on the factor tonight. that guy who wrote the book hip hop generation or whatever it was called could have done a better job of defending nas and at least get his name correct.

lol, bill's head almost blew up. but i understand his point and it is a valid one.

Jokerman

If the parents feel that way, and the student newspaper does (which pretty much can just be 2 people who share the opinion), why is Virginia Tech letting Nas perform?
Because the President of the University is a dickhead who thinks this is a free speech issue or something. It doesn't matter what Nas sings; it's who Nas is: God's Son. No, it's what he represents. He could sing We Are the World for all anybody cares. That's just not a place for him. How about we bring a shooter there from another school who's still alive and have him sing a nice song? Would that be appropriate? If it's controversial, and it is, it doesn't belong there now.

ARon

You're comparing Nas to a shooter from another school. I think you are going a little too far.

What is the point of the concert. I haven't really looked into this much first off. Secondly if it's just a random concert that the student body is putting together I dont see the problem. Is the purpose of it to promote peace or something, know what I mean, then I could see why people would reject the idea of him coming. Then again, you don't think Him and Quan performing Just a Moment wouldn't fit?

Casey

Staff member
Bill O Reilly is just a complete asshole. He invites people onto his show supposedly to discuss the issues but the reality is he's just forcing his views. I don't recall him ever conceding to a valid point made by the opposing party at all.

Complete and utter moron. Let's say this happened 20 years ago and say, Johnny Cash was asked to play there. He has lyrics that deal with violence. Would there be any storm from the media? Doubt it.

Picking out random lines from songs is childish and deliberately painting an entirely wrong view of Nas. How many people at VT who would have gone to see him do you think are fans of his that are very familiar with all his songs? It would be mostly casual fans who know some of his hits. And Nas obviously would have enough tact to not perform songs like "Shoot 'Em Up" or "Got UR Self A Gun".

That guy could have defended Nas way better. First of all I would have killed his gun conviction argument. I'd ask him if he'd mind if Dick Cheney went to give a speech at the Uni. So what if Nas got caught with an illegal weapon when he's a famous artist that needs security and probably feels paranoid at times. Cheney fuckin shot a dude.

I'd ask him if thought Nas would perform songs of that kind at the concert. And for every violent lyrics of Nas' he could possibly quote, I'd quote a positive one.

I get the feeling Bill O' Asshole wouldn't allow himself to be humiliated on his own show though. So he'd probably yell the same original point louder as If nobody heard him the first time, and then cut the guests off.

yeah i watched that. and no nas prolly shouldnt perform. if he is supposed to perform songs that dont talk about guns and shit like that then i would make an exception because i know he has some songs that arent about that stuff. i think o'reilly going on and on about nad having gun charges didnt really have to do with what he was going to rap at the corcert though. people's crimes arent always what they are going to rap about

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
My problem with O'Reilly is that I know it's more than Nas' violent lyrics. It's the color of his skin, the stereotype regarding black rappers, the image that black rappers portray. To O'Reilly, Nas is 2pac, Mystikal, Brotha Lynch, etc. It's discrimination folks, it's bigotry. He has it out for rappers. He's ruined marketing deals for Ludacris, he's put on rappers on his show and not let them speak their mind.

He's a middle aged White man. Don't tell me he doesn't see black rappers like that.

ARon

I think it's funny how he contradicts himself also. At the beginning it's about the President or whatever. He even says this isn't about Nas. Then goes on his whole Nasss has a gun conviction charge thing about 20 times, even though, he doens't want to make it about Nas. Why did the guest call him Nasss also, chump, he could of done a way better job.

Like I said earlier, I want to see Him and Quan do Just a Moment and see everyone holdin up lighters candles whatever, have the video end up on Youtube to show every doubter that rap can be and is positive.

Duke

Staff member
If the defining factore becomes whether or not someone is or was involved with "violent subject matter"at one point or another, the choices are slimming down.

This smells of hypocrisy at it's absolute finest.

Euphanasia

Bill O Reilly is just a complete asshole. He invites people onto his show supposedly to discuss the issues but the reality is he's just forcing his views. I don't recall him ever conceding to a valid point made by the opposing party at all.

Complete and utter moron. Let's say this happened 20 years ago and say, Johnny Cash was asked to play there. He has lyrics that deal with violence. Would there be any storm from the media? Doubt it.

Picking out random lines from songs is childish and deliberately painting an entirely wrong view of Nas. How many people at VT who would have gone to see him do you think are fans of his that are very familiar with all his songs? It would be mostly casual fans who know some of his hits. And Nas obviously would have enough tact to not perform songs like "Shoot 'Em Up" or "Got UR Self A Gun".

That guy could have defended Nas way better. First of all I would have killed his gun conviction argument. I'd ask him if he'd mind if Dick Cheney went to give a speech at the Uni. So what if Nas got caught with an illegal weapon when he's a famous artist that needs security and probably feels paranoid at times. Cheney fuckin shot a dude.

I'd ask him if thought Nas would perform songs of that kind at the concert. And for every violent lyrics of Nas' he could possibly quote, I'd quote a positive one.

I get the feeling Bill O' Asshole wouldn't allow himself to be humiliated on his own show though. So he'd probably yell the same original point louder as If nobody heard him the first time, and then cut the guests off.

:thumb: My position is, fuck Bill O'Reilly. I can't think of anyone on the news who is as narrow-minded, discriminatory and overall retarded as he is. The fact that this guy actually has his own show where he is allowed to channel his racist, biased and despicable views into people all around the world is just disgusting. I can't believe that people actually watch that bullshit.

Oh yeah, and fuck his mother too

Preach

I understand your notion Jokerman, but I also want to say that your comparison is maybe taking it a bit too far.

Hey. I'm your typical western middle class baby who never had to make a real sacrifice in his life. I am not in any position to try and understand what impact Nas coming there would have on the people.

The optimist in me likes to think that if Nas went there, he would probably keep the whole shooting in the back of his mind. And choose what songs to perform accordingly. A positive concert with music and fun and joy could maybe be a good thing. But like I said, that's more a silly idea than an opinion. I don't really have one. Nas could come here if he likes.

Jokerman

You're comparing Nas to a shooter from another school. I think you are going a little too far.
I knew someone would say this. I'm not comparing Nas to anyone; I'm comparing one wrong with another wrong and using an extreme example so the principle involved becomes obvious. I could have said, it's like having Michael Jackson sing at a grammar school. It's like having Britney Spears sing at an AA meeting. It's like King Kong...coming to Radio City Music Hall.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
What are the negative consequences of Nas doing this show?

There aren't any. There will be no riots, no mothers will cry (VA tech not srebrenica). It's only wrong in the sense that it doesn't seem appropriate. But, it's not universal. In my country, music is never played after a person's death in the presence of loved ones. In NY, streets were blaring with "Hypnotize" when Biggie died.

Preach

You already said it wasn't a real comparison, I should have got it because I use extremes to point out principles as well. I'm gonna pose an idea. Once again, this isn't really something I truly believe in. Let's say I'm on a journey for knowledge and understanding for the time being. However, the idea sort of goes boo-boo with the fact that Nas actually is convicted, but..

Michael Jackson was never a convicted pedophile. Don't americans believe in freedom of speech, liberty and the right to be believed unless proof is posed that suggests otherwise? And by "proof", aren't we practically talking about a person receiving a conviction?

Michael Jackson should, from my perspective with those ideologies applied, have as much right as anyone else to be around or perform to children. Denying him that because of accusations from the past skews the whole picture for me. Within the context of what I talked about above, that is.

Preach. And yes, I know I am now knitpicking :)

ARon

^Michael is guilty in peoples eyes cus of the media, and the fact he paid a lot of money to families and shit ahha.

I knew someone would say this. I'm not comparing Nas to anyone; I'm comparing one wrong with another wrong and using an extreme example so the principle involved becomes obvious.
You are comparing one wrong to another wrong you said..... you think Nas is wrong and then used the example of someone who shot up a school as a wrong.

How is this not comparing Nas to anyone, if you're comparing one wrong(Nas) to another wrong(school shooter).

Sorry thats just me bein an ass. I understand what you're saying though.

_carmi

me, myself & us
Nas doesn't only have violent songs, he was inspiring good songs too. it's not the songs the problem, it's the image. Nas is a black rapper. A black rapper who raps about gangsterism in his songs. They basically don't want the image of a gangster in V Tech.

But you know what, if a rapper such as Nas would have come down to Dawson after the shooting, I don't think I would have been against it. He obviously will make smart choices and play the right songs because of the recent history of the place.

It doesn't seem appropriate. But it can be appropriate if the songs are well chosen. Nas is not your typical black rapper. He is no 50 cent. If 50 Cent would go to V Tech, I'd question his capability of making a concert there that's appropriate. But I'm sure Nas can make an appropriate concert over there.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.